• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Texas Judge Has Party, Sentences Fugitive

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Yahoo News

(full story below)
DALLAS - [size=-1] A judge welcomed a former fugitive back to her courtroom with balloons, streamers and a cake before sentencing him to life in prison. [/size]

[size=-1]"You just made my day when I heard you had finally come home," Judge Faith Johnson told Billy Wayne Williams, who had been convicted in absentia of aggravated assault after he disappeared a year ago. "We're so excited to see you, we're throwing a party for you." [/size]

[size=-1]Williams, 53, who has a criminal record dating to the 1970s, was accused of choking his girlfriend until she passed out. He failed to appear for his trial last November and was finally captured Thursday at a gas station in suburban Arlington. [/size]

[size=-1] Before he was brought into the courtroom on Monday, the judge directed staff members as they placed balloons and streamers around the courtroom. A colorful cake was decorated with his name and one candle to signify the year he spent on the lam. [/size]

[size=-1]"It seems like everyone wants to have a party, and it's fun for you people, but not for me," Williams told Dallas-Fort Worth television station KDFW as he was led away in handcuffs. [/size]

[size=-1]Seana Willing, executive director of the Texas Commission on Judicial Conduct, said she found the incident troubling. "It's the kind of thing I look at and scratch my head and wonder, `What was she thinking?'" Willing said. [/size]

[size=-1]She questioned whether the party violated standards of decorum and impartiality. [/size]

[size=-1]"The whole purpose of it was to mock him, to make him feel bad. I guess she could have put him in the stockade, in the pillory, in front of the town square and let people mock him," Willing said. [/size]

[size=-1]Willing said the commission will investigate if a complaint is filed, or can decide on its own to look into the matter. Judges found guilty of misconduct face a range of discipline, from private admonition to removal from the bench. [/size]

[size=-1]She said Johnson had never been disciplined by the regulatory agency. [/size]

[size=-1]Calls to the judge's office were not immediately returned Tuesday. [/size]

[size=-1]Trent Touchstone, a supervisory deputy U.S. marshal, said Johnson took a special interest in Williams' case after he jumped bail that she had set following the 2002 assault. [/size]

[size=-1] "Put yourself in her position," Touchstone said. "She's going through a trial with a jury, with defense attorneys, with prosecutors and rolling along and one day the defendant decides not to show up, and everything comes to a screeching halt."

Is this ethical?
[/size]

I'm not sure if ethics are the issue. Frankly, I find the behavior completely odd and not what I would expect from a judge. I can understand the frustration and in a way, I find it quasi-humorous, but on the other hand, I'm deeply disapointed at what could be called "sophomoric antics".

Back
Top Bottom