• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas is a lot like China.

I've always been amused by this specific tidbit of nonsense -- the almost religious Texan belief that somehow, a bunch of hicks with civilian arms will pose any threat whatsoever to an invading military.

I always hear that slogan, "Don't Mess With Texas". I always want to say, if the Mexican Army felt like it, it could swallow Texas in a day -- provided, of course, the Texans lived up to their idiotic anti-government reputation and refused the help of the national US military.

Hicks with guns will always and necessarily be crushed by proper, trained, equiped military forces -- and it's laughable to think that Texan partisan action by civilians would have a serious impact on an invading force.

There's a major difference between historical partisan groups, like the French Resistance or the Red Army, and a bunch of gun-toting rednecks with little to no training -- organisation, organisation, organisation.

Pretty funny, coming from a Frenchman. I fart in your general direction...:lamo

By the way, I have no doubt that there are a some military forces in the world that could overrun Texas, but Mexico ain't one of them. Neither is France. I do think Mexico could overren France though. The Atlantic is a bit wider than the Rio Grande, but I think they could swing it.

I was unaware of the slogan's roots -- thanks for that insight. But why has it evolved into such a hawkish and ignorant-sounding slogan today?

Also, if you don't mind, could you tell me what you like about Texas? Both political and non-political stuff -- or whichever is making you stay in Texas.

In Texas, your neighbor is likely to give you the shirt off his back when you ask him. On the flip side, if you demand the shirt off his back, he will probably kick your ass. That's how neighbors should be.

Personally? I think it was the British accent. In fact, I've got evidence supporting that. Make of it what you will.

British accent, not French I see. Either way, it's not likely your accent but your attitude. Texans get along great with Scots. Brits have a much higher tendency to be arrogant pricks, which doesn't go over well at all in Texas. Next time you're accusing Texans of being closed-minded uneducated hicks, you should probably open your mind and educate yourself.

Texas penal code allows the death penalty for capital murder and for a second offense of aggravated sexual assault of a child. That's it. Which of those two offenses would you consider for parole?

Can you find a single example of a legal hispanic immigrant being deported by the state of Texas? I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe the state of Texas deports illegal immigrants, much less legal ones.

In Texas, your neighbor is likely to give you the shirt off his back when you ask him. On the flip side, if you demand the shirt off his back, he will probably kick your ass. That's how neighbors should be.
Leave it to a Texan to use caveman levels of violence in response to mild rudeness.

Is there any aspect of this state's "culture" that isn't based on some sort of tribalistic, socially backward precept?

I post this in the vain hope that it'll be met with something other than the sound of cocking shotguns or other forms of obnoxious machismo.

Leave it to a Texan to use caveman levels of violence in response to mild rudeness.

Is there any aspect of this state's "culture" that isn't based on some sort of tribalistic, socially backward precept?

I post this in the vain hope that it'll be met with something other than the sound of cocking shotguns or other forms of obnoxious machismo.

I was not aware that taking care of one's neighbor was a socially backward precept. I don't suppose there's a snowball's chance in hell that you've ever stopped to help someone on the side of the road. No, that's too tribalistic and socially backward.

Pretty funny, coming from a Frenchman. I fart in your general direction...:lamo

By the way, I have no doubt that there are a some military forces in the world that could overrun Texas, but Mexico ain't one of them. Neither is France. I do think Mexico could overren France though. The Atlantic is a bit wider than the Rio Grande, but I think they could swing it.

Moderator's Warning:
Please refrain from comments that could be viewed as taunting, towards a poster who has been banned from the thread. They are unable to respond in-thread, so it is a bit like shooting ducks in a barrel: not good sport, old chap.

Moderator's Warning:
Please refrain from comments that could be viewed as taunting, towards a poster who has been banned from the thread. They are unable to respond in-thread, so it is a bit like shooting ducks in a barrel: not good sport, old chap.

Fair enough. I was unware that he was banned from the thread at the time. Apologies.

Yes, Texas trying to ban flag burning is totally the same thing as China putting dissidents in prison or worse.

Yeah, those pesky Tibetan monks are like long-horns on the range. You got to jab them and brand them to show them who's boss. Sometimes you have to shoot the bad ones. Yup Texas is just like China. :roll: :doh

Back
Top Bottom