• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas is a lot like China.

Look, I'm not exactly a fan of many of the Texan government's social policies, but comparing it to the People's Republic of China shows a complete ignorance of both governments and I see it as insulting to the millions who have suffered and died from Chinese repression since 1949. Grow up.

No, it's an oppressive backward ****ehole. XD
lol, go through bootcamp and tell me texas is oppressive. :p

Kind of amazing since it's one of the most libertarian states.

I've been through "bootcamp" on more than one occasion in my life -- I served with the French Foreign Legion for five years, and the Royal Marines for six. Unless I'm misunderstanding the joke or point (which I suspect I am), I don't see the connexion between oppresive political policies and military training.

I've been through "bootcamp" on more than one occasion in my life -- I served with the French Foreign Legion for five years, and the Royal Marines for six. Unless I'm misunderstanding the joke or point (which I suspect I am), I don't see the connexion between oppresive political policies and military training.

Have you ever been to Texas or gotten information on what it's actually like there?

Have you ever been to Texas or gotten information on what it's actually like there?

Yes, I've been to Houston, Austin, Plano and, perhaps a bit embarrassingly, the Alamo.

While it is not, of course, a day-by-day survival scenario with people running around brazenly waving assault rifles a la Somalia (which is sadly true, I've been there as well), it's also a very close-minded society and quite backwards and ignorant compared to other parts of the States, like, say, Chicago (where I also spent a significant amount of time).

Now, true, I'm not omnipotent, nor am I omniscient, and I didn't sample the entire population. But I am basing my opinions off of real observations I made while there, though whether they're representative of the majority of the state or not is up for debate.

I've always been amused by this specific tidbit of nonsense -- the almost religious Texan belief that somehow, a bunch of hicks with civilian arms will pose any threat whatsoever to an invading military.

I always hear that slogan, "Don't Mess With Texas". I always want to say, if the Mexican Army felt like it, it could swallow Texas in a day -- provided, of course, the Texans lived up to their idiotic anti-government reputation and refused the help of the national US military.

Hicks with guns will always and necessarily be crushed by proper, trained, equiped military forces -- and it's laughable to think that Texan partisan action by civilians would have a serious impact on an invading force.

There's a major difference between historical partisan groups, like the French Resistance or the Red Army, and a bunch of gun-toting rednecks with little to no training -- organisation, organisation, organisation.

"Don't mess with Texas" was started as a slogan to stop people from littering. It seems to mean much more today.
I'm not a Texas native, though I wish I was. I've been here about 9 yrs. It's hard to explain my feelings for Texas and the jealousy I feel for those born here.
I meet very few people who are not proud to be Texans.
I am widowed and when my husband died everyone expected me to come "home."
My answer "Hell no! I am home. I got here as soon as I could. As long as I can make it on my own, I can't imagine leaving Texas!"
To compare Texas to China is ridiculous.

could you talk during chow? Could you use a cell phone? could use a computer? Were you allowed to masturbate?

Yea, in texas you can do all those, in bootcamp...meeeeeeeeeh....

"Don't mess with Texas" was started as a slogan to stop people from littering. It seems to mean much more today.
I'm not a Texas native, though I wish I was. I've been here about 9 yrs. It's hard to explain my feelings for Texas and the jealousy I feel for those born here.
I meet very few people who are not proud to be Texans.
I am widowed and when my husband died everyone expected me to come "home."
My answer "Hell no! I am home. I got here as soon as I could. As long as I can make it on my own, I can't imagine leaving Texas!"
To compare Texas to China is ridiculous.

I was unaware of the slogan's roots -- thanks for that insight. But why has it evolved into such a hawkish and ignorant-sounding slogan today?

Also, if you don't mind, could you tell me what you like about Texas? Both political and non-political stuff -- or whichever is making you stay in Texas.

Yes, I've been to Houston, Austin, Plano and, perhaps a bit embarrassingly, the Alamo.

While it is not, of course, a day-by-day survival scenario with people running around brazenly waving assault rifles a la Somalia (which is sadly true, I've been there as well), it's also a very close-minded society and quite backwards and ignorant compared to other parts of the States, like, say, Chicago (where I also spent a significant amount of time).

Now, true, I'm not omnipotent, nor am I omniscient, and I didn't sample the entire population. But I am basing my opinions off of real observations I made while there, though whether they're representative of the majority of the state or not is up for debate.

Do they send you to jail for opposing the government (not for something like burning a flag, like opening an opposition newspaper), repress mostly peaceful secessionist movements with great brutality, and do they torture dissidents? Yeah, there are things in TX I'm not a fan of - ban on gay marriage, very law and order police, and the textbook thing- but a sense of perspective can take you a long way. You want to bitch about TX, I don't really care; you want to make asinine comparisons between a government that you don't like with an authoritarian regime that tortures, silences, and executes thousands of dissidents, then you will be called out.

could you talk during chow? Could you use a cell phone? could use a computer? Were you allowed to masturbate?

Yea, in texas you can do all those, in bootcamp...meeeeeeeeeh....

I still don't understand the analogy. You can do all of those things in China. It is still an oppressive society. What does training have to do with this?

I still don't understand the analogy. You can do all of those things in China. It is still an oppressive society. What does training have to do with this?

I think the point he's making is that the comparison between TX and China is so ridiculous that to call TX "oppressive" would require the coining of an entirely new word to describe China.

You must have been acting very rude, snobbish or something similar to not at least find Texas to be one of the most friendy, accomodating states ever.
Chicago? Good Lord... It shouldn't be allowed in the same post with Texas.

Do they send you to jail for opposing the government (not for something like burning a flag, like opening an opposition newspaper), repress mostly peaceful secessionist movements with great brutality, and do they torture dissidents? Yeah, there are things in TX I'm not a fan of - ban on gay marriage, very law and order police, and the textbook thing- but a sense of perspective can take you a long way. You want to bitch about TX, I don't really care; you want to make asinine comparisons between a government that you don't like with an authoritarian regime that tortures, silences, and executes thousands of dissidents, then you will be called out.

Texas is still a part of the Union, and thus it can not countremand national and international laws against torture -- but the rest of the charges you've named on your list, Texas has been a part of.

Texas still Draconically practices execution for offenses that most nations would consider parole-worth. Texas still tries to make laws against freedom -- your example of jailing flag burning dissidents is an apt one, and I have no idea why you tried to throw it out. Texas is xenophobic and hostile to immigrants, legal and illegal, and deportations of Hispanic people, whether they're legal or illegal, from Mexico or from the rest of Latin America, are common. Texas has Draconic security enforcement, with numerous examples of Texas lawmen using deadly force unnecessarily. Texas controls its education curriculum in ridiculous ways -- notable examples include teaching creationism and painting evolution as a mere theory.

In short, if Texas were not forced to abide by some decent humanitarian rules by the rest of the US, it would be very, very much like China.

You must have been acting very rude, snobbish or something similar to not at least find Texas to be one of the most friendy, accomodating states ever.
Chicago? Good Lord... It shouldn't be allowed in the same post with Texas.

Personally? I think it was the British accent. In fact, I've got evidence supporting that. Make of it what you will.

Texas still Draconically practices execution for offenses that most nations would consider parole-worth.

Link to something Texas punished by execution that most nations would consider "parole-worthy"?

Texas still tries to make laws against freedom -- your example of jailing flag burning dissidents is an apt one, and I have no idea why you tried to throw it out.

When's the last time TX tried to jail a flag burner?

Texas is xenophobic and hostile to immigrants, legal and illegal, and deportations of Hispanic people, whether they're legal or illegal, from Mexico or from the rest of Latin America, are common.

Link to some examples of the common practice of deporting legal immigrants?

I was born and raised in Texas. It's the reason I turned down an awesome, very well-paying job in Dallas a few years ago.

And while I don't really think Texas can be fairly compared to China, nothing could make me move back to that place.

Texas is still a part of the Union, and thus it can not countremand national and international laws against torture -- but the rest of the charges you've named on your list, Texas has been a part of.

Yeah, it still doesn't do these things; therefor, your point is moot.

TTexas still Draconically practices execution for offenses that most nations would consider parole-worth.

I don't like the death penalty, but it's only used for some murder and some rape, not exactly parole worthy.

TTexas still tries to make laws against freedom -- your example of jailing flag burning dissidents is an apt one, and I have no idea why you tried to throw it out.

Yeah, I don't like the law either but it's not exactly Tienanmen Square.

TTexas is xenophobic and hostile to immigrants, legal and illegal, and deportations of Hispanic people, whether they're legal or illegal, from Mexico or from the rest of Latin America, are common.

Immigration laws, including deportations are the purview of the federal government. Is there hostility toward immigrants, yeah, not really any worse than Western Europe's hostility toward Muslims.

TTexas has Draconic security enforcement, with numerous examples of Texas lawmen using deadly force unnecessarily. Texas controls its education curriculum in ridiculous ways -- notable examples include teaching creationism and painting evolution as a mere theory.

Again, don't like this, but to compare it to China, shows profound ignorance.

TIn short, if Texas were not forced to abide by some decent humanitarian rules by the rest of the US, it would be very, very much like China.

This is at best speculation. You don't have proof of this.

I was unaware of the slogan's roots -- thanks for that insight. But why has it evolved into such a hawkish and ignorant-sounding slogan today?

Also, if you don't mind, could you tell me what you like about Texas? Both political and non-political stuff -- or whichever is making you stay in Texas.

I don't think "Don't Mess with Texas" sounds ignorant. It sounds like something you shouldn't take lightly. Now "Don't Mess with
Deleware," might sound kind of silly.

What I like about Texas? Some of the reasons are hard to put my finger on. It's more a feeling. I had the feeling the first time I crossed the border from Oklahoma, in 2002. I thought I would hate it here so no one was more surprised than I was.

I like all the Texas flags flying along with the American Flag. Texas is the only state that is allowed to fly the state flag at the same height as the American flag. I like the lone star, setting it apart from the rest of America, like it's a Republic all it's own.
It seems to be the only state with flag flying going on 365 days a year. Many businesses are named the Lone Star this or that.
So, I guess pride in the state is a big reason.

I also like the weather, thanks to AC. I love the birds, wildlife. I love the diverse landscapes from one part of Texas to another.

I love the people.

I like the prosperity due to the way the government is run. Friendly to business, no state tax etc.

I like that the cowboy theme has not died. There are still real working cowboys, ranches, and rodeos. Cowboys still wear cowboy hats and boots here and they look normal, not stupid like they would in California.
Where I live is the cutting horse capital of the world. I love horses and cowboys, so that's a plus for me.

I'm sure i could think of more, but that's enough for now.
Thanks for asking. I always feel better when I think of all the things I have to be grateful for.
Thank you God, for choosing Tx instead of Chicago for me. :)

Perhaps because I live in texas but, it is not an oppressive, not even close, even if it was like china's, which it's not. . Believe it or not, women are NOT forced to dress conservatively according to very regulated standards. You do, in fact, have freedom of information here. There are no state taxes, we have wal-marts, and etc. etc. etc.

no, texas isn't china, nor is it remoted oppressive. Hell, some laws aren't even enforced.

The United States can sometimes be seen as a scale version of the entire world. Every state is different; every state has its own government and its own laws, largely independent from other states.

So, I will use this "scale" theory when comparing Texas to China. Basically, when it comes to human rights (or, lack thereof), Texas is to the United States what China is to the entire world.

Listen, nothing personal, but it's half-assed bull**** like this that is destroying the political discourse of the United States, and by extension the United States as we know it.

Not Obama. Not Bush. Not the left. Not the right. This grade of bull****.

The more and more this kind of absurdity passes as legitimate, the more ****ed we are.

Moderator's Warning:
Threadban for Le Marteau. Excessive use of slurs against a regional population. Further posts by user in this thread will be 5 point infractions each.

The best view of Texas is from a rear view mirror.

The military has good reason for being the way it is; Texas doesn't.

No, Nevada is a libertarian state! Texas is a republican/conservative state. There's a big difference.

The military has good reason for being the way it is; Texas doesn't.

No, Nevada is a libertarian state! Texas is a republican/conservative state. There's a big difference.
So, is new hampshire! No, wait, that's conservative too, there is no way it's libertarian :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom