• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Invasion

Monday has come and gone.. Did Abbott “declare an invasion today”?
Not that I am aware, but all the news I can find on the subject is three days old or older. If you can find more current information, please post it. I will do the same.

Democrats do support human rights abuses, and they always have. They supported Fascist Italy and NAZI Germany back in the 1920s and 1930s, just like Democrats support China's human right abuses today. It is also the Democratic Party who is solely responsible for all human right abuses in the US. From the Trail of Tears in the 1830s under Democrat President Andrew Jackson, to the illegal arrest, imprisonment, and theft of Japanese-Americans during WW II by Democrat President Franklin Roosevelt.

You do comprehend that both Trump and Reagan were former Democrats pretending to be Republicans, right? Carter was a simpering coward, your stereotypical Democrat.

Only Democrats support human rights abuses, and they have for almost two centuries. That is not even counting slavery that Democrats also support, both then and now.
Give me a break. I worked for Amnesty International for 20 years, during which time I found it easy to get both democrats and republicans to denounce human rights arises in the Soviet empire or in other communist countries, whether it was Eastern Europe or Cambodia, whether the case was of an individual political prisoner I was working on, or a government campaign of terror. But when it came to denouncing right wing abuses in this hemisphere, it was a heavier lift for the GOP. Even political prisoners from the eastern bloc acknowledged the abuses in this hemisphere. One could posit that democratic politicians I approached, accused for decades of leaning pinko, jumped at the chance to denounce communist abuse. Republicans, on the other hand, could be said to fear being called soft on communism, but still might jump to denounce an abuse in a right wing country. There might even be variations with republicans more willing to denounce death squads in Guatemala than in El Salvador, since the US was supplying military aid to the latter. Most on both sides were sincere, however.

One example stands out. A Salvadoran living in LA called me about what advice I should give to his brother, who witnessed an abduction of some suspected leftist who was no doubt tortured, killed and had his body dumped some where. The brother was seen by the police, and though they knew who he was. Should they flee to join him? I told him that in my position I couldn't offer such advice, but I contacted the office of the Republican Senator in California at the time. This was when Reagan was saying that there was nothing to fear for Salvadorans, and was denying 97% of their asylum claims. The senator's staff put me in touch with a staffer at the US Embassy in San Salvador. This was a guy working for the GOP, appointed by Reagan. His thoughts: "I don't care any more, I'm leaving in three weeks. He's a dead man. Tell him to get out of the country." Reagan's own people knew what he said was BS. Fortunately, things got a bit better after Bush one came to office.

As to democrats and fascism, you must have forgotten the McCarthy era. One joke that liberals told one another was that they were "premature anti-fascists," that is, they opposed Hitler before Pearl Harbor. They therefore came under suspicion. Your division is pretty simplistic.

Btw, nice try making Trump and Reagan closet democrats. You suggest that there most be something in the democrats genetic makeup that has them support tyranny, and that the gene secreted something to cloud their judgement, even after they switch parties, making them support dictators. As I stated, some on the left have been credibly accused of ignoring abuses in leftist countries, just as some on the right are credibly accused of ignoring abuses in right wing countries. I believe that it may have been Tolstoi who said something like that the difference between oppression from the left and oppression from the right is like the difference between horse shit and dog shit.

The actual news, yes, it would. But not the Democrat propaganda sources you identify as CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, or MSNBC. They are Fake News and the enemy of the people.

Would the governor issue an executive order?

The actual news, yes, it would. But not the Democrat propaganda sources you identify as CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, or MSNBC. They are Fake News and the enemy of the people.
Do you really believe that stuff, or is it just a comforting thought when faced by the reporting realities you dislike? I used to know a leftist who thought the media had a right-wing bias.

Can you explain what makes them enemies of the people other than Trump’s name calling? Is OAN ok? Is FOX a sometime friend of the people? What sources are fair and balanced, as the saying used to go?

Give me a break. I worked for Amnesty International for 20 years, during which time I found it easy to get both democrats and republicans to denounce human rights arises in the Soviet empire or in other communist countries, whether it was Eastern Europe or Cambodia, whether the case was of an individual political prisoner I was working on, or a government campaign of terror. But when it came to denouncing right wing abuses in this hemisphere, it was a heavier lift for the GOP. Even political prisoners from the eastern bloc acknowledged the abuses in this hemisphere. One could posit that democratic politicians I approached, accused for decades of leaning pinko, jumped at the chance to denounce communist abuse. Republicans, on the other hand, could be said to fear being called soft on communism, but still might jump to denounce an abuse in a right wing country. There might even be variations with republicans more willing to denounce death squads in Guatemala than in El Salvador, since the US was supplying military aid to the latter. Most on both sides were sincere, however.

One example stands out. A Salvadoran living in LA called me about what advice I should give to his brother, who witnessed an abduction of some suspected leftist who was no doubt tortured, killed and had his body dumped some where. The brother was seen by the police, and though they knew who he was. Should they flee to join him? I told him that in my position I couldn't offer such advice, but I contacted the office of the Republican Senator in California at the time. This was when Reagan was saying that there was nothing to fear for Salvadorans, and was denying 97% of their asylum claims. The senator's staff put me in touch with a staffer at the US Embassy in San Salvador. This was a guy working for the GOP, appointed by Reagan. His thoughts: "I don't care any more, I'm leaving in three weeks. He's a dead man. Tell him to get out of the country." Reagan's own people knew what he said was BS. Fortunately, things got a bit better after Bush one came to office.

As to democrats and fascism, you must have forgotten the McCarthy era. One joke that liberals told one another was that they were "premature anti-fascists," that is, they opposed Hitler before Pearl Harbor. They therefore came under suspicion. Your division is pretty simplistic.

Btw, nice try making Trump and Reagan closet democrats. You suggest that there most be something in the democrats genetic makeup that has them support tyranny, and that the gene secreted something to cloud their judgement, even after they switch parties, making them support dictators. As I stated, some on the left have been credibly accused of ignoring abuses in leftist countries, just as some on the right are credibly accused of ignoring abuses in right wing countries. I believe that it may have been Tolstoi who said something like that the difference between oppression from the left and oppression from the right is like the difference between horse shit and dog shit.
Yet you and your ilk continue to support China's on-going Uyghur genocide. So spare me your hypocrisy about how you denounce human rights abuses. :rolleyes:

I am more familiar with the so-called "McCarthy Era" than you will ever be. You clearly have forgotten that all the government civil right atrocities taking place during the 1950s was at the hands of the Democrat-controlled House Un-American Activities Committee, and not by Senator Joseph McCarthy. You are aware that Senators have absolutely nothing to do with the House of Representatives, right? Sen. McCarthy kept his investigations entirely within either the Department of Defense or the Department of State. At no time did Sen. McCarthy ever violate the civil rights of any individual, unlike Democrat filth in both the House of Representatives and in Hollywood. Learn some actual history and get a clue.

Trump and Reagan were not "closet" Democrats, they were registered Democrats the vast majority of their lives. They only became Republican because they couldn't get elected as Democrats. Pretending otherwise does not change actual history. Something Democrats clearly have not yet learned.

Actually, the US Constitution was not that specific. All Article I, Section 10, Clause 3 of the US Constitution states is that the States are prohibited from certain powers without consent of Congress, "unless actually invaded, or in such imminent danger as will not admit of delay."

This is a problem of the Executive Branch failing to enforce existing immigration laws, which is resulting in "imminent danger" to both Texans as well as those who are illegally invading the US.

An invasive species does not create "imminent danger." Millions of illegal aliens, including the terrorists and drug pushers included within those illegal aliens, are an imminent danger not just to Texas, but to every State. Biden is facilitating crimes against Americans by not just refusing to enforce existing laws, but actively violating those laws by illegally shipping those illegal aliens (including documented terrorists) to other States. This will certainly be one of the first Articles of Impeachment against Biden this coming November when the GOP take back control of the House.
Dont count on the Republicans to do anything. They are straight up cowards.

There are two valid points of view.

First, tens of thousands of people are illegally streaming across the border. They are having a negative impact on the Americans living in that area.

It is no secret that the federal Administration is sympathetic toward the migrants, and so it has already allowed in hundreds of thousands who have already been resettled in various parts of this nation.

It is understandable that the Governor is trying to stop this chaos.

Second, when I see those migrants (on FOX, of course), I cannot but feel sympathy for them. I have noticed that they are generally well-behaved. Some do try to run from border guards, but when they are caught, 99% (?) cooperate and meekly line up for processing.

It is hard not to feel sorry for them. They come from perfectly dreadful countries where it impossible to make a decent living. So it is understandable that they have determined to come here. This is truly a paradise for them (free education for their kids, at least free emergency medical care, help in finding housing, assistance in buying food, and -- above all else -- JOBS that allow them to send money back to their relatives).

I am not very smart, but I know that as long as there's a Dem Administration, more and more migrants will be coming and allowed in.

I hope that the Governor and the Administration can act like adults and come to some compromise.

But I realize that is simply asking for too much.
Compromise!? Why the hell should there be any compromise for condoning and assisting in illegal activity? What about the people whom are trying to come to our country legally? Secondly and more importantly those illegals whether we like or not are counted in the census and give power to the states that get them and depriving states that dont of power.

Democrats do support human rights abuses, and they always have. They supported Fascist Italy and NAZI Germany back in the 1920s and 1930s, just like Democrats support China's human right abuses today. It is also the Democratic Party who is solely responsible for all human right abuses in the US. From the Trail of Tears in the 1830s under Democrat President Andrew Jackson, to the illegal arrest, imprisonment, and theft of Japanese-Americans during WW II by Democrat President Franklin Roosevelt.

You do comprehend that both Trump and Reagan were former Democrats pretending to be Republicans, right? Carter was a simpering coward, your stereotypical Democrat.

Only Democrats support human rights abuses, and they have for almost two centuries. That is not even counting slavery that Democrats also support, both then and now.

Jimmy Carter served honorably in the Navy aboard submarines, and helped shutdown and dismantle am experimental nuclear reactor. Calling him a “simpering coward” is massively ignorant, and you be should be ashamed of yourself.

Yet you and your ilk continue to support China's on-going Uyghur genocide. So spare me your hypocrisy about how you denounce human rights abuses. :rolleyes:

I am more familiar with the so-called "McCarthy Era" than you will ever be. You clearly have forgotten that all the government civil right atrocities taking place during the 1950s was at the hands of the Democrat-controlled House Un-American Activities Committee, and not by Senator Joseph McCarthy. You are aware that Senators have absolutely nothing to do with the House of Representatives, right? Sen. McCarthy kept his investigations entirely within either the Department of Defense or the Department of State. At no time did Sen. McCarthy ever violate the civil rights of any individual, unlike Democrat filth in both the House of Representatives and in Hollywood. Learn some actual history and get a clue.

Trump and Reagan were not "closet" Democrats, they were registered Democrats the vast majority of their lives. They only became Republican because they couldn't get elected as Democrats. Pretending otherwise does not change actual history. Something Democrats clearly have not yet learned.

“Senator” McCarthy was a pathological liar who defended the SS scum who murdered American POWs.

Here's my ilk's position on China:

And even your side (sort of):

Good points. Both sides went overboard in seeking out Commies. But it was liberals and leftists who were targeted. "I've been Ayn Randed, nearly branded, communist cause I'm left-handed." Paul Simon said it well. I had the honor of being called a communist when I worked for the farmworkers union.
Their policies were republican. Reagan slow walked civil rights enforcement. Reagan opposed Medicare. Trump opposed the ACA. To Reagan's credit, he didn't act against Medicare, and to McCain's credit, the ACA lives on. But what's your point? Stalin trained to be a priest. People change.

See above responses.

Jimmy Carter served honorably in the Navy aboard submarines, and helped shutdown and dismantle am experimental nuclear reactor. Calling him a “simpering coward” is massively ignorant, and you be should be ashamed of yourself.
Carter did indeed serve honorably in the Navy. That is a matter of public record. As is his abject cowardice in dealing with Iran. And his blanket pardon of all the coward draft dodgers, which utterly destroyed military morale. These are all matters of public record. Unfortunately, I happened to be serving in the military while Carter was President. He was the primary reason why I left the military after 8 years. I could not abide having an abject coward as my Commander-In-Chief.

Carter did indeed serve honorably in the Navy. That is a matter of public record. As is his abject cowardice in dealing with Iran. And his blanket pardon of all the coward draft dodgers, which utterly destroyed military morale. These are all matters of public record. Unfortunately, I happened to be serving in the military while Carter was President. He was the primary reason why I left the military after 8 years. I could not abide having an abject coward as my Commander-In-Chief.

“Cowardice” my ass. The US had literally just left Vietnam. The military was deeply demoralized and not in any state to try yet another years long occupation effort, especially since the Iranians were more than willing to fight and fight hard for the new regime, as their eight year long war with Iraq shows quite clearly.

Furthermore, Carter DID authorize a rescue attempt.

Can you explain what makes them enemies of the people other than Trump’s name calling?
Burying Hunter's laptop is a great example. The American people had a right to hear that story. Burying that story arguably swung the election to Biden.

Burying Hunter's laptop is a great example. The American people had a right to hear that story. Burying that story arguably swung the election to Biden.
Trump's lies and crimes and classless, childish, total incompetence handling Covid swung the election to Biden..

Trump's son in law got paid $2 billion by the Saudis to cover up a murder.. No one cares.. But you think a laptop would have mattered in an election? Lol.

The "coward draft dodgers" I knew weren't cowards, nor is someone like Carter just because he made a decision you disagree with. Many paid a price for a principled stand against a war we all now regret occurred. Military morale "should be made of sterner stuff," to quote Shakespeare, if it was destroyed by the anti-war movement. I quote a dear GI friend who wrote me from Vietnam, "get out of this any way you can." And on Iran, yes Carter traded arms for hostages and... Ooops! That was the other guy. Carter tried an ill-fated military operation to try to rescue them.

Here's my ilk's position on China:

Why do you feel the need to continually lie?

Your ilk put Biden into office, and he is rewarding China

China has owned the Democratic Party since Clinton/Gore.

Good points. Both sides went overboard in seeking out Commies. But it was liberals and leftists who were targeted. "I've been Ayn Randed, nearly branded, communist cause I'm left-handed." Paul Simon said it well. I had the honor of being called a communist when I worked for the farmworkers union.
Both sides? Name a single civil rights abuse by any Republican.

You can't, because none exist. All you have is some pathetic lyric from a song writer. Seriously? :rolleyes:

Their policies were republican.
No, they were not. Clearly you have no clue what policies the Republicans had.

Reagan slow walked civil rights enforcement.
Meaningless drivel.

Reagan opposed Medicare.
Reagan opposed MediCare/MedicAid when he was a Democrat. As a Republican Reagan supported MediCare/MedicAid by supporting an increase of almost 400% between 1981 and 1989. Granted, Presidents don't really have a say in the budget process and Democrats did control the House. However, Reagan made a deal with House Speaker Tip O'Neal that he would not veto any of the social spending the Speaker wanted, if the Speaker did not block any of the defense spending that Reagan wanted. Which is how we ended up tripling the National Debt between 1981 and 1989.

Trump opposed the ACA.
More accurately, Trump wanted ACA to be repealed while he was campaigning in 2016. However, as soon as he was elected Trump wanted to "repeal and replace" ACA. Which evolved to just "replace" by the time Trump was inaugurated. However, since congressional Republicans were keen on keeping ACA exactly as it was, nothing ever happened.

To Reagan's credit, he didn't act against Medicare, and to McCain's credit, the ACA lives on. But what's your point? Stalin trained to be a priest. People change.
See my response above to understand the reasons why.

Trump's lies and crimes and classless, childish, total incompetence handling Covid swung the election to Biden..

Trump's son in law got paid $2 billion by the Saudis to cover up a murder.. No one cares.. But you think a laptop would have mattered in an election? Lol.
Thanks Pretty much what I expected a TDS sufferer to say.

“Cowardice” my ass. The US had literally just left Vietnam. The military was deeply demoralized and not in any state to try yet another years long occupation effort, especially since the Iranians were more than willing to fight and fight hard for the new regime, as their eight year long war with Iraq shows quite clearly.

Furthermore, Carter DID authorize a rescue attempt.

The US had left Vietnam, ending the war more than two years before Carter was elected President. The military was not demoralized until Carter pardoned the draft dodging cowards as one of his very first acts as President. I was on active duty with the Marine Corps from July 1972 until May 1980, and am very much aware of the state of the military during that period.

While it is certainly true that the military did not like the inevitable outcome of Vietnam, morale did not suffer because it was over. What destroyed military morale was a Commander-In-Chief telling the nation that cowardice is rewarded while doing one's duty is to be despised, spit on (including the draftees), and called "baby killer."

Wikipedia is not a credible source. Carter's so-called rescue attempt was nothing more than a PR stunt gone wrong. He made no serious effort to rescue any of the hostages. Carter was a coward, the Iranians and the world knew it. Which is why they didn't release the hostages until the very day Reagan was being inaugurated.

No. He can only return them to the port of entry.
I don't think he can do even that. Once they cross the border, legally or otherwise, they are within the jurisdiction of the US. Which means that Texas cannot violate federal law or the US Constitution. All he can really do is try to prevent them from crossing the border in the first place.

Thanks Pretty much what I expected a TDS sufferer to say.
Truth hurt?... Btw stuff the TDS Nonsense.. I live in NY.. I've known all about Trump's crimes and cons since the early 90s.. I know vendors and contractors who did work on his properties who never saw a dime in payment..

He's been a conman, theif and liar for decades.. That's the type of man you worship... And you want me to give a shit about a laptop and a few 100'a of thousands of $s?? Lol

The US had left Vietnam, ending the war more than two years before Carter was elected President. The military was not demoralized until Carter pardoned the draft dodging cowards as one of his very first acts as President. I was on active duty with the Marine Corps from July 1972 until May 1980, and am very much aware of the state of the military during that period.

While it is certainly true that the military did not like the inevitable outcome of Vietnam, morale did not suffer because it was over. What destroyed military morale was a Commander-In-Chief telling the nation that cowardice is rewarded while doing one's duty is to be despised, spit on (including the draftees), and called "baby killer."

Wikipedia is not a credible source. Carter's so-called rescue attempt was nothing more than a PR stunt gone wrong. He made no serious effort to rescue any of the hostages. Carter was a coward, the Iranians and the world knew it. Which is why they didn't release the hostages until the very day Reagan was being inaugurated.

Except, of course, that it takes a lot more than two years to recover from a decade long war.....especially one where the US lost.

And no, Carter did not tell anyone that veterans should be spat on or called baby killers. Try living in the real world.

Wrong as usual. Eagle Claw was one of the very first Delta Force missions, and there is no evidence to suggest that Carter did not intend to rescue the hostages.

Gee bud, what do you fantasize Carter SHOULD have done then?

Back
Top Bottom