• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TEXAS GOVERNOR’S RACE TIGHTENS IN WAKE OF SCHOOL MASS SHOOTING, QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY TEXAS POLL FINDS

like most liberals you blame everything bad on the Red government of the state ignoring the freedoms we have in this state and the low cost of living.
Show me where I did this.

The only one ignoring anything is you ignoring the shortcomings of the way Texas is governed. If you prefer that - fine, but don't pretend that everything is hunky dory. You may be able to buy a generator to keep yourself warm during a power outage, but I imagine some folks in Texas don't have that luxury. Your attitude seems to be, "**** 'em, I can take care of myself."

TX power system has been that way for decades even when Democrats controlled the state, further what you want to ignore is that TX leads the nation in wind power and those wind power motors were the problem.
Admit that they weren't the problem or look like a disingenuous interlocutor.
Texans didn't seem to matter as much as out of state residents wanting to blame the state gov't
Your own newspapers blamed the state govt. The feds blamed the state government. The Texas PUC report blamed the state government. wtf is up with you and out of state residents? You should take that gigantic chip off your shoulder.

Show me where I did this.

The only one ignoring anything is you ignoring the shortcomings of the way Texas is governed. If you prefer that - fine, but don't pretend that everything is hunky dory. You may be able to buy a generator to keep yourself warm during a power outage, but I imagine some folks in Texas don't have that luxury. Your attitude seems to be, "**** 'em, I can take care of myself."
Ok, I live in the state so what gives you more credibility than me, reading biased partisan reports and not actually living here?
Admit that they weren't the problem or look like a disingenuous interlocutor.
Didn't say it wasn't a problem only that Texans lived through it and Texans prefer their freedom over massive nanny state politics. Do you know that TX has a part time legislature that meets every two years or at the request of the governor? That is what our Founders created and that is the way it should be all over the country
Your own newspapers blamed the state govt. The feds blamed the state government. The Texas PUC report blamed the state government. wtf is up with you and out of state residents? You should take that gigantic chip off your shoulder.
There is always blame being placed never anyone personally accepting responsibility for their own actions. As I told you if it were an issue for me I would take the more spendable income I have in this state and use it to buy a generator.

Isnt it past time for Beto to move on? Like get a real job in the private sector a real honest to goodness job? Your 15 minutes are up. You lost. Go home.

Ok, I live in the state so what gives you more credibility than me, reading biased partisan reports and not actually living here?
A person can live somewhere and still be completely clueless as to wtf is actually going on. Residency doesn't automatically make you smart or informed. I rely on the information I have gathered from numerous sources. FERC, the Texas PUC, The Houston Chronicle, Texas Star - those are all partisan in your view? And you're regurgitating bad reporting from Fox News. I suppose then that you disagree with the fixes finally demanded by the legislature to avoid another repeat.
Didn't say it wasn't a problem only that Texans lived through it and Texans prefer their freedom over massive nanny state politics.
You're arguing for the freedom to have bad governance? Hey, if that's what you want. But surely there is better space to operate in between disastrous hands off regulation and the "massive nanny state". It's called, "good governance."
Do you know that TX has a part time legislature that meets every two years or at the request of the governor? That is what our Founders created and that is the way it should be all over the country
Non sequitur, and whatever. Glad you know what's best for everyone else.
There is always blame being placed never anyone personally accepting responsibility for their own actions. As I told you if it were an issue for me I would take the more spendable income I have in this state and use it to buy a generator.
So the grid failure is now the responsibility of individual rate payers? That's your argument? I thought the responsibility for operating the grid properly rests with the grid operators, and with the PUC to keep the grid operators honest. But you don't want to hold them accountable for their actions? Dude, you are all over the place.

Beto has no chance. These polls are a joke.

Republicans just won a House seat that Democrats have held for a century in an 85% Hispanic district.

Texas is getting redder by the minute.

A person can live somewhere and still be completely clueless as to wtf is actually going on. Residency doesn't automatically make you smart or informed. I rely on the information I have gathered from numerous sources. FERC, the Texas PUC, The Houston Chronicle, Texas Star - those are all partisan in your view? And you're regurgitating bad reporting from Fox News. I suppose then that you disagree with the fixes finally demanded by the legislature to avoid another repeat.

You're arguing for the freedom to have bad governance? Hey, if that's what you want. But surely there is better space to operate in between disastrous hands off regulation and the "massive nanny state". It's called, "good governance."

Non sequitur, and whatever. Glad you know what's best for everyone else.

So the grid failure is now the responsibility of individual rate payers? That's your argument? I thought the responsibility for operating the grid properly rests with the grid operators, and with the PUC to keep the grid operators honest. But you don't want to hold them accountable for their actions? Dude, you are all over the place.
30 years in this state makes me more of an expert than you will ever be. You want to believe the Chronicle, don't really care, I don't subscribe.

Arguing for freedom for bad governance? What liberal arrogance, your opinion isn't relevant for what goes in in my state or determines my position. Better spend more time convincing businesses and people to stop moving to TX for that so called bad governance. Stunning how arrogant liberals are

30 years in this state makes me more of an expert than you will ever be. You want to believe the Chronicle, don't really care, I don't subscribe.
It's interesting that you haven't presented a single piece of evidence to support your supposed expertise on Texas energy governance. Got any? I posted links to articles from major Texas newspapers, the Texas Public Utilities Commission, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, all of which agree that frozen gas lines were the principal cause of both the 2011 and 2021 grid failures, and moreover that Texas utilities and regulators knew about the vulnerability of those gas lines and did not act on it.

I call that bad governance. What do you call it? Why aren't you holding those folks accountable for not fulfilling their explicit responsibilities? You said you were all for personal responsibility.

Arguing for freedom for bad governance? What liberal arrogance, your opinion isn't relevant for what goes in in my state or determines my position.
Not my opinion dude. The opinion of your own Texas institutions. l:rolleyes:
Better spend more time convincing businesses and people to stop moving to TX for that so called bad governance. Stunning how arrogant liberals are
Why would I do that? People are free to move where they want. Why do you keep calling me a liberal? Why can't you focus on the discussion at hand?

All I'm saying is that an overly business-friendly, hands-off regulatory environment resulted in a massive, costly and deadly power outage. Are you saying you are happy with that outcome? If so, why? If not, then you're agreeing that better governance is appropriate.

Please stop deflecting and making ad hominem attacks.

It's interesting that you haven't presented a single piece of evidence to support your supposed expertise on Texas energy governance. Got any? I posted links to articles from major Texas newspapers, the Texas Public Utilities Commission, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, all of which agree that frozen gas lines were the principal cause of both the 2011 and 2021 grid failures, and moreover that Texas utilities and regulators knew about the vulnerability of those gas lines and did not act on it.

I call that bad governance. What do you call it? Why aren't you holding those folks accountable for not fulfilling their explicit responsibilities? You said you were all for personal responsibility.

Why would I do that? People are free to move where they want. Why do you keep calling me a liberal? Why can't you focus on the discussion at hand?

All I'm saying is that an overly business-friendly, hands-off regulatory environment resulted in a massive, costly and deadly power outage. Are you saying you are happy with that outcome? If so, why? If not, then you're agreeing that better governance is appropriate.

Yes, there was a disaster that resulted from a highly unusual weather event. Sometimes that happens. You learn from it and do better. And significant changes were made to address the problem. Overall, Abbott has done a great job as governor, the state has done well, and it's had few significant issues.

Keep in mind the alternative being proposed is a man with no experience in state government, with no executive experience, who's never supervised a larger group than his congressional office, and never been responsible for anything. Put forward a Democrat candidate who knows what they are doing and we can talk. Beto O'Rourke is no Ann Richards or Bill White.

YOu mean like when he cost the state of Texas 3.4 billion dollars by repeating examinations of trucks coming from Mexico, causes companies to have to shut down assembly lines for lack of parts, and have produce rot in the trucks, and all in a 10 day period?
Or was it how the grid failed in the middle of winter then he promised it wouldn't happen again, then it happened again that summer and then again the next winter? Or is it the water infrastructure failing people in Texas now in super heat? Or could it be that more people are shot up under is administration in mass shootings than any other Texas governor?

Yes, there was a disaster that resulted from a highly unusual weather event. Sometimes that happens. You learn from it and do better. And significant changes were made to address the problem.
Sure, but the point is that after 2011 no lessons were learned and an much worse disaster, one that both avoidable and predictable, occurred as a result.
Overall, Abbott has done a great job as governor, the state has done well, and it's had few significant issues.
I don't argue that; I don't know enough about Abbott's tenure to comment one way or the other.

My point was simply that the hands-off approach to managing the electricity grid was to blame. It doesn't happen in states with better regulation and less cozy relations between business and regulators. The market doesn't magically make everything work better all by itself. Good governance is good governance, whether it comes from the right or the left.

Keep in mind the alternative being proposed is a man with no experience in state government, with no executive experience, who's never supervised a larger group than his congressional office, and never been responsible for anything. Put forward a Democrat candidate who knows what they are doing and we can talk. Beto O'Rourke is no Ann Richards or Bill White.
Just to be clear, I am not pushing any particular candidate, Democratic or Republican.

Sure, but the point is that after 2011 no lessons were learned and an much worse disaster, one that both avoidable and predictable, occurred as a result.
The PUC and ERCOT did not learn their lessons after the 2011 disaster, and all members were replaced after the more recent one. It was also a far more severe storm. Worth noting that the Texas Governor is a couple of layers removed from the grid.

I don't argue that; I don't know enough about Abbott's tenure to comment one way or the other.

My point was simply that the hands-off approach to managing the electricity grid was to blame. It doesn't happen in states with better regulation and less cozy relations between business and regulators. The market doesn't magically make everything work better all by itself. Good governance is good governance, whether it comes from the right or the left.
He's been a good one, although I think Perry (previous) was better. Noting that for that storm was an exceptional storm, and other states have also had disasters.

Just to be clear, I am not pushing any particular candidate, Democratic or Republican.

That's kind of the point of this thread - the 'miracle' of Beto is the alternative being discussed. Abbott hasn't been our best governor, but he's been a good one. He's been consistent, with few mistakes, and our state is in a good place. If Democrats put up a decent challenger, we can talk. But Beto isn't it.

Appreciate the good discussion.

That's kind of the point of this thread - the 'miracle' of Beto is the alternative being discussed. Abbott hasn't been our best governor, but he's been a good one. He's been consistent, with few mistakes, and our state is in a good place. If Democrats put up a decent challenger, we can talk. But Beto isn't it.
Yeah, I was not trying to thread crap - and apologize if I did - but simply pointing out to Conservative that it's not all sunshine and puppies. Then I was accused of blaming everything on the "red government" and ignoring things that work, and being lumped in with a bunch of nameless liberals, etc.etc. Sweeping generalizations from him eventually focused on management of the power grid, which I think adequately represents a short-sightedness in the anti-regulatory stance of some conservatives.
Appreciate the good discussion.
Back atcha.

Yeah, I was not trying to thread crap - and apologize if I did - but simply pointing out to Conservative that it's not all sunshine and puppies. Then I was accused of blaming everything on the "red government" and ignoring things that work, and being lumped in with a bunch of nameless liberals, etc.etc. Sweeping generalizations from him eventually focused on management of the power grid, which I think adequately represents a short-sightedness in the anti-regulatory stance of some conservatives.
Sorry about that. Some people on this board are really jerks.

I don't think any state is perfect. I'm pretty proud of mine though. :)

Not sure why there is so much of a focus on the big ice storm. Natural disasters and outages happen everywhere. The state recovered quickly and has made adjustments. Of course, it's worth a longer discussion, but that was an exceptional storm, and other states had issues as well. The outages also had ZERO to do with the less regulated electrical market, and a lot to do with weatherization that was inadequate for the storm event. Weatherization standards set on a national basis, with variation based on the climate.

And of course, looping back to the topic. party aside, I don't see how anyone would pick O'Rourke over Abbott.

Sorry about that. Some people on this board are really jerks.
More people on both sides prefer to shout and not discuss than do, unfortunately.
I don't think any state is perfect. I'm pretty proud of mine though. :)]
Cheers! (y)
Not sure why there is so much of a focus on the big ice storm. Natural disasters and outages happen everywhere. The state recovered quickly and has made adjustments. Of course, it's worth a longer discussion, but that was an exceptional storm, and other states had issues as well. The outages also had ZERO to do with the less regulated electrical market, and a lot to do with weatherization that was inadequate for the storm event. Weatherization standards set on a national basis, with variation based on the climate.
I think that you and I have been round and round on this, to no avail. We'll just have to disagree on this point.

I don't have to prove a thing, the people moving here are doing that, buying the freedoms we have here and the opportunities that exist in this state. As state and you totally ignored I have more spendable income to buy a generator if that is what I choose to do. You want a massive central govt that has to be paid for. Amazing energy problems in this state bother someone like you who doesn't live in the state. You can call it whatever you want but you have no say in the gov't of this state

I don't have to prove a thing, the people moving here are doing that, buying the freedoms we have here and the opportunities that exist in this state. As state and you totally ignored I have more spendable income to buy a generator if that is what I choose to do. You want a massive central govt that has to be paid for. Amazing energy problems in this state bother someone like you who doesn't live in the state. You can call it whatever you want but you have no say in the gov't of this state
You keep misstating and misrepresenting what I'm saying. You don't listen at all. I'm moving on.

Why would you say that?

Actually, he's been an excellent governor.
Is that a joke? In one week he cost Texas millions of dollars a year by persuading truckers to drive to new mexico, and that's just one of a nearly infinite number of total ****-ups.

If Texas elects Beto O'Rouke I am going to laugh my ass off at your tears @Conservative

You keep misstating and misrepresenting what I'm saying. You don't listen at all. I'm moving on.
What good does it pay to listen to someone who doesn't live in the state, buys what the media tells them and ignores the reality of population changes and cost of living? Why does what happens in TX concern you so much? Stop getting involved in politics that don't affect you

Is that a joke? In one week he cost Texas millions of dollars a year by persuading truckers to drive to new mexico, and that's just one of a nearly infinite number of total ****-ups.
Find it amazing how far too many who don't live in the state have such a poor opinion of the state, suggest you spend more time selling people to not move to TX or retire in TX. Even better try convincing businesses not to move to the state bringing taxpayer citizens with them

For some reason you people divert from your own problems to issues that you have no control over and have no ability to change, why is that?

Find it amazing how far too many who don't live in the state have such a poor opinion of the state, suggest you spend more time selling people to not move to TX or retire in TX. Even better try convincing businesses not to move to the state bringing taxpayer citizens with them

For some reason you people divert from your own problems to issues that you have no control over and have no ability to change, why is that?
Not my business who moves there and who doesn't, but IMHO all they are doing is setting themselves up to fail by going.

Not my business who moves there and who doesn't, but IMHO all they are doing is setting themselves up to fail by going.
Your opinion noted but that is a personal decision by someone else, certainly not you or me. Been in TX for 30 years now and for some reason don't see the problems out of staters claim exist here. Love the cost of living and freedoms we have even freedom to make bad decisions and not have a massive central gov't that we pay for micromanaging it

Better be crying in your beer as California cost of living will be promoted in TX, the consequences of liberalism and rich liberal elites taking power

I’m salivating at the idea of confiscating some of that healthy TX GDP and giving it to undocumented immigrants

I’m salivating at the idea of confiscating some of that healthy TX GDP and giving it to undocumented immigrants
You mean like California does and creating more tent cities? Who actually gets the benefit of GDP?

Back
Top Bottom