• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Gov. Abbott's border inspections prompt Mexico to move lucrative trade link to New Mexico

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Texas Gov. Abbott's border inspections prompt Mexico to move lucrative trade link to New Mexico

iu

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's (R) 10-day-long "enhanced" inspections of commercial trucks enter the state from Mexico may have cost Texas $4.2 billion in economic damage, as estimated by Waco-based Perryman Group, but it's been great for business in Santa Teresa, New Mexico, a border crossing just across state lines from El Paso. Trucks were re-routed through Santa Teresa when Abbott's inspections snarled commercial traffic at Texas border crossings, and now Mexico has decided to move a long-planned trade railway connection worth billions of dollars from Texas to the New Mexico crossing, The Dallas Morning News reported Sunday. "We're now not going to use Texas," Mexican Economy Minister Tatiana Clouthier said. "We can't leave all the eggs in one basket and be hostages to someone who wants to use trade as a political tool." Clouthier made her announcement in Mexico City on Thursday, a day before Abbott said he will be transferring another $500 million from other Texas agencies to finance his broader state border initiative, Operation Lone Star, which is already costing Texans more than $2 billion a year.

Everything is bigger in Texas which obviously also includes the biggest fool Governor.

Texas Governor ‘Extorting’ Mexico Over Inspections: Minister

Abbott is a disaster.. He has spent billions on this fantasy when property tax rates in the states are going through the ceiling..

But wait...there's more:

"Mexico’s foreign affairs minister accused Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) of extorting Mexican governors when he created backlogs at several ports of entry by upping inspections of commercial trucks crossing the border."

To Abbott, this is news to be proud of.

Too bad Beto is going to lose in Nov. I really wish the Dems had a solid candidate that could truly beat Abbott.
Stop this ridiculousness.

But wait...there's more:

"Mexico’s foreign affairs minister accused Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) of extorting Mexican governors when he created backlogs at several ports of entry by upping inspections of commercial trucks crossing the border."

To Abbott, this is news to be proud of.
Hey, now.
Having to dump out millions of dollars in produce to find zero drugs or illegals was worth it.
I mean, who doesn't mind paying an extra dollar per fruit?
Maybe stores should put stickers of Abbotts face on the fruit with a "I did that", so when it costs $4 for a bunch of bananas, people will be reminded some idiot in Texas caused this.

Too bad Beto is going to lose in Nov. I really wish the Dems had a solid candidate that could truly beat Abbott.

I agree that Beto is a weak candidate but surely to heavens the people of Texas have woken up to this jerk! I think a lot will depend on voter turnout and how well the Dems organize a get out the vote push.

Its so funny, people will vote for a corrupt demagogue because they so oppose the Democrat running. But the Democrats have to nominate the perfect candidate to oppose the Republican.

The biggest problem here is too many in Texas will champion Abbott no matter what harm he does to the State (or anyone else for that matter.)

Its so funny, people will vote for a corrupt demagogue because they so oppose the Democrat running. But the Democrats have to nominate the perfect candidate to oppose the Republican.
You'd think when a spineless Senator ran away to Cancun when the state was literally without power for a week during a cold spell, people would have had enough, but they don't.
Imagine if that was a democrat going to Cancun...the governor would be demanding the Senator be impeached and resign immediately.

But yeah, Dems always find the guy who's 15 minutes of fame was in 2018.

I agree that Beto is a weak candidate but surely to heavens the people of Texas have woken up to this jerk! I think a lot will depend on voter turnout and how well the Dems organize a get out the vote push.
Sadly they won't. Beto's push to ban certain firearms will be the catalyst that gets Abbott re-elected. Shit, Abbott could strangle a litter of puppies on live TV and would be re-elected as long as his immediate response would be "I'm not banning firearms like Beto wants to."

The biggest problem here is too many in Texas will champion Abbott no matter what harm he does to the State (or anyone else for that matter.)
I bet some Texas voters will even use The Bible to promote any Republican politician who screams about keeping the Mexicans out.

Sadly they won't. Beto's push to ban certain firearms will be the catalyst that gets Abbott re-elected. Shit, Abbott could strangle a litter of puppies on live TV and would be re-elected as long as his immediate response would be "I'm not banning firearms like Beto wants to."
Agree, Beto's firearm stance was one very dumb ass move even though he is right!! He had a great run against Cruz and I think if he had been a little more savvy over the last few years would have had a good shot at this but that firearms position sank him.

You'd think when a spineless Senator ran away to Cancun when the state was literally without power for a week during a cold spell, people would have had enough, but they don't.
Imagine if that was a democrat going to Cancun...the governor would be demanding the Senator be impeached and resign immediately.

But yeah, Dems always find the guy who's 15 minutes of fame was in 2018.
I guess Texas needs another Ann Richards.

Abbott like his counterpart in Florida is looking at 2024. They do nor care about ramifications to those states.

Hey, now.
Having to dump out millions of dollars in produce to find zero drugs or illegals was worth it.
Maybe stores should put stickers of Abbotts face on the fruit with a "I did that", so when it costs $4 for a bunch of bananas, people will be reminded some idiot in Texas caused this.

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong please, is that the Texas border inspections were not looking for drugs or illegal aliens at all. They were "enhanced" safety inspections and that they were not allowed to look for drugs and illegals. They were checking breaks, fluids, lights, safety logs, etc.

WW

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong please, is that the Texas border inspections were not looking for drugs or illegal aliens at all. They were "enhanced" safety inspections and that they were not allowed to look for drugs and illegals. They were checking breaks, fluids, lights, safety logs, etc.

WW
which makes one wonder. did Texas/Abbott NOT care about the safety of Texas drivers/passengers/kids for the last gazillion years.

I really wish the Dems had a solid message.

Hey, now.

They didn't find anything because the smuggler/traffickers knew Abbott was doing such a good job blocking them they didn't bother trying. Yeah, that's it. They knew better than to try. Abbott for king! Of Burundi...

Back
Top Bottom