• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Gets AAA Rating

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Eat your heart out, USA.

Yes, there's them that talks the talk and them that walks the walk, and we know who the blowhards are and who the competent leaders are, and none of the latter are in power in DC at the moment.

S&P’s decision to raise Texas’ credit rating to AAA is no accident, but further proof that the Texas model of conservative fiscal discipline is a key element of our strong economy, and a stark contrast to the out-of-control spending and rising debt ceilings of Washington, D.C.,” Perry says.

“In Texas, we adhere to the powerful combination of keeping taxes low and government spending in check, ensuring Texas remains the best place in the country to live, work, raise a family and build a business,” he adds.

Amen and Amen :peace This is showing them what really works.

You won't see this reported in the mainstream media. Reuters picked up on it, and that's about it.

Eat your heart out, USA.

Yes, there's them that talks the talk and them that walks the walk, and we know who the blowhards are and who the competent leaders are, and none of the latter are in power in DC at the moment.

You won't see this reported in the mainstream media. Reuters picked up on it, and that's about it.

i dont know if id call texas the ideal center of fiscal responsibility,but this state definitaley shines when compared to others.like for example all these blogs over the internet claiming how great cali is for clean air high quality education etc,but cali has among the worst air quality in america despite their regs on pollution,lets face it mountains trap smog,and cali has alot of them.they bragged about ducation,but ranked number 39 in the country,well below texas and among the worst in the country.they bragged about roads,but texas rebuilds its roads far more than cali does.and they bragged about being better off and reducing their deficit,while they are billions in debt each year.texas 2 years ago was on the same boat,but their economy boomedagain and revenues skyrocketed,but they did something different,they continued to cut,in order to avoid the same scenario again of a massive budget shortfall.

Well Canada, the Scandinavian countries, the UK which are all countries which like to spend money this isn't proof Conservative fiscal discipline works. Most of our provinces have AAA ratings aswell and they like to spend money aswell especially B.C..

Well Canada, the Scandinavian countries, the UK which are all countries which like to spend money this isn't proof Conservative fiscal discipline works. Most of our provinces have AAA ratings aswell and they like to spend money aswell especially B.C..

Um. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Canada actually has a greater degree of economic freedom (which is why Texas is doing so well) than the United States does.

:) Canada is doing great because Canada is more economically conservative than we are :lamo

Well if there one thing you can trust in this world, its a AAA rating from S&P.........

Eat your heart out, USA.

Low taxes for WHOM? I live in Texas, in a modest house. My property taxes are now over $6,000 a year. By contrast, my Dad, who has a modest house, and my brother, each pay between $300 and $500 A YEAR in property taxes in Louisiana. Yes, La has state income tax, but it's pretty low, and it gives a lot of breaks to seniors.

I am going to have to sell my house because of the property taxes. Am considering leaving Texas entirely, since I'm semi-retiring, because of the HIGH TAXES for ordinary citizens.

BTW...Texas has had a BOOMING economy for decades. It has nothing to do with Perry. Bush actually created more jobs here than Perry did. And Texas continues to be the state with the highest percentage of uninsured citizens AND 2nd from the top in # of workers earning BELOW the minimum wage (this doesn't count illegal immigrants).

Note that the jobs created under Perry are jobs that are created here as a matter of course for Texas. And they haven't kept up with the increase in population. That is...there is a higher unemployment rate now than when Perry took office...more people born here, fewer people find jobs here than in the past.

So it's better than some other states in that there are jobs here, if you stick to the big cities. But what's strong about Texas is what is inherent in the state itself, not because of Perry. It's a HUGE state, which a lot of businesses come to because there's lots of vacant land and cheap labor (lots of illegals here), and subsidies for businesses, and its location is excellent, the weather is not extreme (you won't find shutdowns because of blizzards in Houston!), and the hub centrally located airport in DFW. All these things having been here for many decades. (Also, the economy is diversified in some areas.)

I would encourage anyone who wants a job to move here, regardless of who the governor is. I would not encourage anyone who is a member of the working class or poor to move here, depending on where you live now. Your circumstances may worsen. If you fall on hard times, you will not get much help, if any.

Eat your heart out, USA.

Not surprised at all!

Eat your heart out, USA.

That's impossible. The income tax rate in Texas is ZERO and we all know that the only way to properly manage a government is to levy confiscatory rates on the wealthy and hand it to the poor.

That's impossible. The income tax rate in Texas is ZERO and we all know that the only way to properly manage a government is to levy confiscatory rates on the wealthy and hand it to the poor.

We make it up here via regressive taxes a major player being property taxes.

We make it up here via regressive taxes a major player being property taxes.

Your property taxes are pretty reasonable compared to a lot of states. People in the NE especially pay through the nose for property tax AND have a state income tax.

Your property taxes are pretty reasonable compared to a lot of states. People in the NE especially pay through the nose for property tax AND have a state income tax.

Which states are you talking about

MA is the fourth highest income state out of the 50. What's the rAte there?

Basically it's 5.25% but can be more on Capital Gains and other factors.

Their property tax depends on what city you live in but one should expect it to be between 4-7% of assessed value.

Eat your heart out, USA.

6 billion of that was federal money to help pay the bills. Then Perry goes and blames the freeloaders! This was stimulus money he was against, so who has their handout??

http://www.politifact.com/texas/sta...ent-obama-says-gov-perry-used-stimulus-fund-/

Is Texas a donor state ...yes or no?

Is Texas a donor state ...yes or no?

I believe, short of some unknown miracle, that would be a no. (If you are referring to Texas putting in more money to the federal bank account vs. how much they receive back. I believe they are a "taker," state. They take more than they contribute usually. Unless times have changed.)

If God gave America an enema, He would stick it in Texas.

'Nuff said?

It surprise me none their property tax is low, look at their education system. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Basically it's 5.25% but can be more on Capital Gains and other factors.

Their property tax depends on what city you live in but one should expect it to be between 4-7% of assessed value.

YOu aree pretty much right. My next question would be how much do you expect to make in X State?

YOu aree pretty much right. My next question would be how much do you expect to make in X State?

Again, it depends on what part of the state you work in. Wages in Boston are probably comparable to Dallas while Worchester would probably be more like Lubbock.

Again, it depends on what part of the state you work in. Wages in Boston are probably comparable to Dallas while Worchester would probably be more like Lubbock.

Sitting here in Dallas I wonder. When I worked in NYC vs here I had more spendable incom in NYC

Sitting here in Dallas I wonder. When I worked in NYC vs here I had more spendable incom in NYC

Interestingly enough, according to this site - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more - the median income in Dallas is 50% higher than Boston.

- edit -

One thing I have noticed between living in NY vs AZ is that I spend a lot more on food and overall travel out here than back east. I used to be able to get around just fine without a car in NY but I couldn't imagine not having one out here. There were also a bunch of little places to eat good food back east but out here most of the smaller joints are awful or they've gone yuppie and burgers are $15.00.

Last edited:
Low taxes for WHOM? I live in Texas, in a modest house. My property taxes are now over $6,000 a year. By contrast, my Dad, who has a modest house, and my brother, each pay between $300 and $500 A YEAR in property taxes in Louisiana. Yes, La has state income tax, but it's pretty low, and it gives a lot of breaks to seniors.

I am going to have to sell my house because of the property taxes. Am considering leaving Texas entirely, since I'm semi-retiring, because of the HIGH TAXES for ordinary citizens.

BTW...Texas has had a BOOMING economy for decades. It has nothing to do with Perry. Bush actually created more jobs here than Perry did. And Texas continues to be the state with the highest percentage of uninsured citizens AND 2nd from the top in # of workers earning BELOW the minimum wage (this doesn't count illegal immigrants).

Note that the jobs created under Perry are jobs that are created here as a matter of course for Texas. And they haven't kept up with the increase in population. That is...there is a higher unemployment rate now than when Perry took office...more people born here, fewer people find jobs here than in the past.

So it's better than some other states in that there are jobs here, if you stick to the big cities. But what's strong about Texas is what is inherent in the state itself, not because of Perry. It's a HUGE state, which a lot of businesses come to because there's lots of vacant land and cheap labor (lots of illegals here), and subsidies for businesses, and its location is excellent, the weather is not extreme (you won't find shutdowns because of blizzards in Houston!), and the hub centrally located airport in DFW. All these things having been here for many decades. (Also, the economy is diversified in some areas.)

I would encourage anyone who wants a job to move here, regardless of who the governor is. I would not encourage anyone who is a member of the working class or poor to move here, depending on where you live now. Your circumstances may worsen. If you fall on hard times, you will not get much help, if any.

your property tax is not a state issue... your property taxes are a local issue.

my property tax rate is 0.269884 (before exemptions).. folks just down the road a couple of miles have a rate of 1.511870

your property is in a high tax locale... as the theory goes, you get a lot more services and benefits but you have to pay for them ( i do find it amusing that you're a liberal complaining about high taxes though :lol:)

selling your house is certainly one way to go about avoiding your tax burden....I'm certain you can find a location that allows you to pay less, but you don't have to move out of state for that.
there are plenty of locations in Texas that offer low property tax rates

Yeah, but they have to live in Louisiana. :2razz:

(Bad on me. Now I'm sounding like someone from California.)

Have you seen property taxes in the blue states? I don't think Louisiana counts as a blue state. Besides, property taxes are a function of municipal and county government. Move out in the country or smaller towns and those taxes go way down.

Where are the aggregate taxes going to be lower? Costa Rica?

The point is that Texas boomed right through the recession and didn't participate in the housing bust. A triumph for Texas fiscal policy. And no, it's not because of Perry, although at least he didn't try to mess things up.

Gosh, it must have killed you to admit that about Bush.

Yes, takers have a harder time of it in Texas. That's a feature, not a bug.

With the government shutdown I am downgrading the credit rating of Texas to AA+

Back
Top Bottom