• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas fights global-warming power grab

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
VENABLE: Texas fights global-warming power grab - Washington Times
The EPA, determined to move forward anyway, is attempting to rewrite the Clean Air Act administratively via a "tailoring rule," which would reduce the number of regulated sources. The problem with that approach? It's illegal. The EPA has no authority to rewrite the law. To pull it off, the EPA needs every state with a State Implementation Plan to rewrite all of its statutory thresholds as well.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Chairman Bryan W. Shaw saw the tailoring rule for what it really is: a massive power grab and centralization of authority. They are fighting back, writing to the EPA:

"In order to deter challenges to your plan for centralized control of industrial development through the issuance of permits for greenhouse gases, you have called upon each state to declare its allegiance to the Environmental Protection Agency's recently enacted greenhouse gas regulations - regulations that are plainly contrary to U.S. laws. ... To encourage acquiescence with your unsupported findings you threaten to usurp state enforcement authority and to federalize the permitting program of any state that fails to pledge their fealty to the Environmental Protection Agency. On behalf of the State of Texas, we write to inform you that Texas has neither the authority nor the intention of interpreting, ignoring or amending its laws in order to compel the permitting of greenhouse gas emissions."

This is why I'm proud to be a Texan!

And for all of Rick Perry's many many faults, he's fighting this fight, Bill White wouldn't.

I wish Texas all the best and I will pray they win out in the long run. It would be a VICTORY for all of us.

The EPA is out of control and under Obama it will only get worse. EPA and the rest of the nut environmentalists sre helping to contribute to the downfall of the once great State of California. It is so overrun with wacko Liberals al just plain freaks.

Amazing how a lot of people pushing the man made global warming fairy tale religion are the same ones who piss bitch and moan about about ten commandment displays and Christians trying to push their views onto the rest of society.

Amazing how a lot of people pushing the man made global warming fairy tale religion are the same ones who piss bitch and moan about about ten commandment displays and Christians trying to push their views onto the rest of society.

Or . . . the people pushing the denier fair tale religion are much the same one's who insist on making the ten commandments an isue that it isn't.

:lamo :lamo :lamo

;)

Or . . . the people pushing the denier fair tale religion are much the same one's who insist on making the ten commandments an isue that it isn't.

:lamo :lamo :lamo

;)

For laughs, let's say man made Global Warming is not a hoax.
Can the government fix it?
If you say yes
How will selling carbon credits do that?

If you say yes

Not sure it is the best solution,and am not arguing it is. But the thinking is that if they have to pay, they seek other means, thus not havin to pay. It isn't rocket science, and it is a bit disingenuous to act as if the no one understands the reasoning. now, you may argue it won't work. And I might agree. But let's not pretend we don;t see the thinking behind it.

If you say yes

Cause Al Gore promises to plant a tree in some third world country if we give him all our money.
The reality though is that Man's effect on the environment via CO2 is pretty well within the range of 'background noise'.

The environmentalists never want to talk about REAL environmental issues, just what the IPCCBS that gets refuted whenever level-heads take a look.

Edit : Way to go Texas... Hopefully a real candidate comes up that puts Kerry to shame, have heard lots of him... but from what I've heard he still manages to be the better of two evils...

Expose those EPA *^*(&^&^ for what they are, and like every other scam artist they'll just fall flat on the face under the weight of their own corruption.

Last edited:
Face Palms, this is why the republicans in Texas are making us the laughing stock again.

I'm not sure there is a call for anything deeper. The science is quite clear on this and deniers are not really open to science or evidence.

I'm not sure there is a call for anything deeper. The science is quite clear on this and deniers are not really open to science or evidence.

Tell you what : Show some ACTUAL science that is NOT based on fear mongering and shown to be verifiable frauds on multiple occassions... then perhaps... or better yet, let's start talking about REAL environmental issues, instead of how my farts are going to destroy the world.

Ok, if you believe that our influence on the earth DUE TO CO2 is much more drastic then 'background noise', I gotta green bridge to sell you. When I was younger, they had the decency to convince us of something causing legitmate and verifiable damage... CFC's... chlorofluorocarbons, and dioxins, etc.. now it's just "oh you shouldn't breath it's bad for the earth."

As I said, let's talk REAL environmental concerns before we decide to make Al Gore a multi-billionaire of the cap and trade carbon taxes.I know he promised to plant a tree in some third world country... and we have to act now, he's got a house on the beach that might get flooded.

*and the face shakes in the hand*

Hold on a minute now. Could I please have a Bill White wouldn't fight the EPA power grab link?

White sent Environmental Protection Agency officials a 26-page letter in July 2008 contending that EPA regulations relied on erroneous data supplied by industry that drastically underreport actual levels of toxic emissions of chemicals such as benzene and 1,3-butadiene that can cause cancer. According to White, the actual levels of pollution could be 10 to 50 times higher, compounded by the fact that residents of east Harris County are exposed to discharges from five refineries.
In the closing days of the Bush administration, outgoing EPA administrators rejected the mayor's argument. Under President Barack Obama, the regulatory winds are shifting.
Last week the EPA announced it was reversing the previous decision, and will initiate a new study of the risks of toxic emissions from refineries and current methods of estimating them. While the process may take three years, it could result in significantly tougher regulations and pollution controls.
Mayor White has also been critical of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as being too lax in enforcing state laws against polluters. “Procedures today are tilted toward those putting cancer-causing chemicals in the air in large quantities and against those representing the public interest,” said the mayor. He cited the TCEQ rules requiring objections to emission permits to be filed within weeks, “even if the polluter took months to prepare the application, and then the polluter can continue putting chemicals into the air under the old permit …. That's just not right.” According to the mayor, the city protested a benzene permit for an area refinery but TCEQ has not acted for six months while the facility continues to pump tons of the chemical into the air.
After meeting with White, EPA officials announced that many of the TCEQ rules are in violation of the federal Clean Air Act. The EPA is currently gathering comment on TCEQ permitting practices and will decide which to change or abolish next year.
EPA double take: A request from Houston’s mayor spurs re-evaluation of toxic-emission rules | Editorial | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Need more? There's plenty

Tell you what : Show some ACTUAL science that is NOT based on fear mongering and shown to be verifiable frauds on multiple occassions... then perhaps... or better yet, let's start talking about REAL environmental issues, instead of how my farts are going to destroy the world.

Ok, if you believe that our influence on the earth DUE TO CO2 is much more drastic then 'background noise', I gotta green bridge to sell you. When I was younger, they had the decency to convince us of something causing legitmate and verifiable damage... CFC's... chlorofluorocarbons, and dioxins, etc.. now it's just "oh you shouldn't breath it's bad for the earth."

As I said, let's talk REAL environmental concerns before we decide to make Al Gore a multi-billionaire of the cap and trade carbon taxes.I know he promised to plant a tree in some third world country... and we have to act now, he's got a house on the beach that might get flooded.

*and the face shakes in the hand*

Define what you would call not based on fear mongering? Al Gore isn't a scientist, so quoting him isn't science. Scientist thank him for making the issue more public, but note flaws in hispresentation. This doesn't mean there isn't a real problem and that man doesn't play a large role.

The science has been presented many, many times. And deniers often ignore it, and always go back to Gore. Why?

I suggest they do because it is easier than dealing with the science. As you can find any opinion on the internet, they pick the fringe, the minioty, and try to act as if they are equal. All things are not equal aand the majority view is that GW is real and in part man made 9not wholey).

Define what you would call not based on fear mongering? Al Gore isn't a scientist, so quoting him isn't science. Scientist thank him for making the issue more public, but note flaws in hispresentation. This doesn't mean there isn't a real problem and that man doesn't play a large role.

The science has been presented many, many times. And deniers often ignore it, and always go back to Gore. Why?

I suggest they do because it is easier than dealing with the science. As you can find any opinion on the internet, they pick the fringe, the minioty, and try to act as if they are equal. All things are not equal aand the majority view is that GW is real and in part man made 9not wholey).

The science debunking AGW has been presented many, many times yet the AGW folks always resort to calling it Big Oil Propaganda and dismissing those who do not believe in AGW as "Deniers". Why?

The science debunking AGW has been presented many, many times yet the AGW folks always resort to calling it Big Oil Propaganda and dismissing those who do not believe in AGW as "Deniers". Why?

And it has always been answered. The debunking stuff is very weak. And others have answered it repeatedly. And they have done so with the science. YEs, some rightly point out the financial connection between the oil industry and deniers, which is much stronger than the connections deniers make. But the science is always presented, and clearly so.

And it has always been answered. The debunking stuff is very weak. And others have answered it repeatedly. And they have done so with the science. YEs, some rightly point out the financial connection between the oil industry and deniers, which is much stronger than the connections deniers make. But the science is always presented, and clearly so.

Uh huh, and have you ever looked into the money being poured into propping up AGW? I didn't think you had.

Uh huh, and have you ever looked into the money being poured into propping up AGW? I didn't think you had.

Yes, I have. And most of that would be there regardless of their findings. It isn't there due to the result, like it is with the oil companies. Governments have no real gain concerning GW scinece. Companies do. In fact, it would work best for governments, for example, if the science wasn't what it was, which puts a whole in part of your argument.

But the fact is the science overwhelmingly supports GW and that man plays a role. This can be supported with any honest search. ;)

Yes, I have. And most of that would be there regardless of their findings. It isn't there due to the result, like it is with the oil companies. Governments have no real gain concerning GW scinece. Companies do. In fact, it would work best for governments, for example, if the science wasn't what it was, which puts a whole in part of your argument.

But the fact is the science overwhelmingly supports GW and that man plays a role. This can be supported with any honest search. ;)

Yes, you are so right. There is no political gain to be made by liberal/progressive politicians who need "Science" to back their power grabs.

:roll:

Yes, you are so right. There is no political gain to be made by liberal/progressive politicians who need "Science" to back their power grabs.

They do no alone finance government research grants. Nor do they control results. Nor do only they approve such programs. Again, when you make the error you just made, it presents a false view of the situation. Government is not run just by liberal demons, but also by conservatives. Remember, it hasn't been too many years since republicans ran both congress and the presidency here.

And remember, that republican control tried to silence science to the contrary of their beliefs. Again, this shows your thesis is inaccurate.

WHAT "science" all anyone posts are cherry picked data and out and out frauds. Would love some real peer reviewed science that would stand a meta-analysis

And this happens with EVERY scientists across all the disciplines that are involved and it happens in every country in the world.

And there is not one group of scientists anywhere in the world able or willing to break this conspiracy?

WHAT "science" all anyone posts are cherry picked data and out and out frauds. Would love some real peer reviewed science that would stand a meta-analysis

Yeah us "deniers" we just are stupid idiots easily duped by Big Oil Propaganda man, don't mind us much, we're dumb.

There is plenty of peer reviewed science that counters AGW, but you claim there is none, why should we bother to waste space with a true believer?

Back
Top Bottom