• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas doctor who violated state’s abortion ban is sued, launching first test of constitutionality

minnie616

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hopelly , the Texas 6 week abortion ban is struck down quickly.

From the following

On Monday, an Arkansas man said he decided to file a lawsuit to test the constitutionality of the Texas measure after reading a news report about Braid’s declaration. Oscar Stilley, a former lawyer convicted of tax fraud in 2010, said he is not personally opposed to abortion, but believes that the measure should be subject to judicial review.

Read in The Washington Post: https://apple.news/AvCLn93cSQC2CNBki8UWFrg

As I said in another thread, I'm surprised that a pro-choice group didn't beat him to the punch, and also file the case in a city with judges who are mostly democrats.

I suspect this will quickly be found to be Unconstitutional. While I share the drafter's motives to find any way we can to end this mass murder.... this is not going to succeed, and if it did, it would set terrible precedent for abrogation of our rights.

We’ll see. This isn’t a good faith lawsuit so it should be tossed.

We’ll see. This isn’t a good faith lawsuit so it should be tossed.

How is it not a good faith lawsuit? The law says what it says. It doesn't say you have to believe in it to use it.

I suspect this will quickly be found to be Unconstitutional. While I share the drafter's motives to find any way we can to end this mass murder.... this is not going to succeed, and if it did, it would set terrible precedent for abrogation of our rights.

One way to "end" it is to stop believing the ridiculous claim that abortion is murder. Then you'll no longer have to think of it as mass murder.

One way to "end" it is to stop believing the ridiculous claim that abortion is murder. Then you'll no longer have to think of it as mass murder.
Yeah, No. :) Me choosing to close my eyes to something doesn't make it cease to be.

If it’s not then I can see New York setting up a similar situation against owning a gun or literally anyone setting up something against some form of unpopular speech

If it’s not then I can see New York setting up a similar situation against owning a gun or literally anyone setting up something against some form of unpopular speech
In my head it was California, but, that was exactly what I was thinking of.

You don't have to close your eyes to it, you just have to take a rational view of it.
:) I have, thanks.

What current human rights abuse do you find horrific that you would stop caring about if some random poster on a debate forum told you to just stop thinking about it / "take a rational view"?

I'm not sure how anyone in Arkansas or Illinois would have standing to sue with regard to a Texas law and especially a law in which they suffer no harm but so be it. If you're a tax attorney serving a sentence fr tax fraud then you probably have some time on your hands.

What current human rights abuse do you find horrific that you would stop caring about if some random poster on a debate forum told you to just stop thinking about it / "take a rational view"?

I suppose I could be persuaded to stop caring about the anti-abortion law in Texas if someone could make a single rationale argument in favor of it, or abortion bans in general. Search as I might, I have yet to see one.

It is FACT that abortion is not "mass murder".

It is FACT that abortion is not "mass murder".
Some see it that way and some do not. Some people see guns as a sacred right and some see it as a threat.

Moral views are something individuals see and act on. This includes lawmakers.

Abortion isn't murder.

"Any way we can to end" abortions, such as murdering abortion providers? Or just abusing regulations to try to make it very difficult for women to get abortions?

What about forcing women to give birth?

Abortion isn't murder.

It is not currently legally recognized as such. Forcing your slave women to service you, or taking your wife regardless of her will used to not be considered rape. Over time, we are recognizing humanity and value in others, and, as a result, are coming to be less and less willing to commit violence against them :)

"Any way we can to end" abortions, such as murdering abortion providers?

Counter productive.

Or just abusing regulations to try to make it very difficult for women to get abortions?

Making it difficult to kill children sounds like a generally good reason to have a regulation, I suppose, sure - which doesn't mean all such uses will be wise - witness this law, for example.

In case you have trouble reading the initial article.

Braid said in the Post column that he started his obstetrics and gynecology residency at a San Antonio hospital on July 1, 1972, when abortion was “effectively illegal in Texas.” That year, he saw three teens die from illegal abortions, he wrote.

I hope they end up declaring this anti-woman law unconstitutional passed by a bunch of amoral assholes. Once the kid is born they could care less. Texass is last in so many social aspects of child rearing and education. The only life they are pro is their own.

Yeah, No. :) Me choosing to close my eyes to something doesn't make it cease to be.
I can’t help put point out you joined the military, so I assume there is a high chance of you pointing a weapon at multiple human beings and ending their lives.

Wearing a mask and getting a vaccine 😂

so some dude in Arkansas sues a Dr in Texas when he has nothing to do with the Dr in Texas.

yeah, the Supreme court better strike down this new Texas end around or i'm gonna start suing everybody (as will many others).

It is not currently legally recognized as such. Forcing your slave women to service you, or taking your wife regardless of her will used to not be considered rape. Over time, we are recognizing humanity and value in others, and, as a result, are coming to be less and less willing to commit violence against them :)

Counter productive.

Making it difficult to kill children sounds like a generally good reason to have a regulation, I suppose, sure - which doesn't mean all such uses will be wise - witness this law, for example.
You’re not willing to use violence against humans? You stress recognizing seeing the humanity in other human beings? Again, you say this as a person who signed up for the military on the pretense of ending the lives of others with weapons.

Counter productive.

Btw, I just want to say that seeing a man bring up rape and “forcing your slave woman to service you” in the context of this debate is horrificly barf worthy and ignorant. Women and girls who have been raped have every right to argue why they don’t want to carry their rapists baby. You should learn to have empathy for women and girls who have endured such “realities.”

No one forget that the governor of Texas signed this piece of shit legislation.

Some see it that way and some do not. Some people see guns as a sacred right and some see it as a threat.

Moral views are something individuals see and act on. This includes lawmakers.

mass murder​

Word forms: plural mass murders
VARIABLE NOUN
Mass murder is the deliberate illegal killing of a large number of people by a person or an organization.

Abortion does not fit the definition, since:

1. it is not illegal and
2. zefs are not persons/people

Back
Top Bottom