• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Death Penalty for Abortions

So what? Do you know that same law specifically excludes abortion

Abortion laws are changing even as we speak. God's will and Word never changes. People should be careful to heed God's Word instead of erroneously thinking human laws can make them exempt from God's laws.

Abortion laws are changing even as we speak. God's will and Word never changes. People should be careful to heed God's Word instead of erroneously thinking human laws can make them exempt from God's laws.

I just spoke to God. Says he never met you and that abortion was fine with him.

Heed his words!!!!!!!!

Wait a second here...

Are you referencing the god of the bible? Because THAT god, in particular, LOVES abortion.

• United States - pro-choice and pro-life supporters in 2018 | Statistic

I don't really see a different.

2003 45% "pro-life"
2018 48% "pro-life"

My original statement needs correcting. The pro-life evangelical lobby is decreasing. They are the ones engaged in the lion's share of the activism. I have read other statistics that are different than yours, but they all place the pro-life at being 45-48% of the population. This doesn't mean that all those 48% are engaged in activism.

For example, I am personally pro-life, but politically I am pro-choice.

I can also point to a rise in the organization of far right groups, AfD, UKIP/Brexit Party etc are doing far better (as they didn't even exist 10 years ago).

Yes, rightism is on the rise. So is leftism. Actually, I would just say fundamentalism.

Between 1990 and 2001 the world was supposedly becoming a better place. China was opening up, the USSR disappeared, Albania was freer, the Warsaw Pact countries were free.

And it's all going to hell.

Russia is invading its of countries.
China is bullying like crazy.
The US is invading and bombing at will to get cheaper oil.

The future is bleak, the internet is being seen as dangerous and is being cracked down on.

It's most the same actors doing their usual thing. They just can't stop themselves.

My original statement needs correcting. The pro-life evangelical lobby is decreasing. They are the ones engaged in the lion's share of the activism. I have read other statistics that are different than yours, but they all place the pro-life at being 45-48% of the population. This doesn't mean that all those 48% are engaged in activism.

For example, I am personally pro-life, but politically I am pro-choice.

Yes, rightism is on the rise. So is leftism. Actually, I would just say fundamentalism.

It's most the same actors doing their usual thing. They just can't stop themselves.

So, less activists but the numbers who support what they're fighting for remain at the same level or higher? Perhaps because these people are so intense, so vocal and successful, others don't feel the need to be activists. Kind of like a professional army is better than a load of farmers with muskets.

///God's will and Word 'never' changes.//// Are you claiming your God's Old Testament Laws are still in effect and are to be enforced as originally put forth in the Old Testament ?

///God's will and Word 'never' changes.//// Are you claiming your God's Old Testament Laws are still in effect and are to be enforced as originally put forth in the Old Testament ?

Jesus fulfilled the ceremonial laws. For example, diet.

Jesus fulfilled the ceremonial laws. For example, diet.
Hi ecofarm,
Do you know if anyone has come up with a definitive list of which laws are just ceremonial and got dumped, and which ones survived into the New Testament? It would be very useful in discussing these things.

Hi ecofarm,
Do you know if anyone has come up with a definitive list of which laws are just ceremonial and got dumped, and which ones survived into the New Testament? It would be very useful in discussing these things.

That depends on the denomination to some extent. For example, Adventists and Witnesses hold the observance of Sabbath to be a moral law, while most others hold it as ceremonial. That's why they observe on Saturday and consider sabbath, via church or otherwise, a matter of morality.

Personally, I believe the ban on homosexual behavior is ceremonial. I believe the death penalty is ceremonial.

That depends on the denomination to some extent. For example, Adventists and Witnesses hold the observance of Sabbath to be a moral law, while most others hold it as ceremonial. That's why they observe on Saturday and consider sabbath, via church or otherwise, a matter of morality.

Personally, I believe the ban on homosexual behavior is ceremonial. I believe the death penalty is ceremonial.

Eating shellfish is an abomination!!!!!!

Hi ecofarm,

I know some folks who cite Matthew 5:18, and interpret that verse as stating all of the O.T. Laws are still in effect...including stoning disobedient children to death. ( based on the verse stating 'not one iota of the laws are to be changed 'until the heavens and earth have passed away. " )

I doubted such a list existed, but I was hoping against hope. Still, the lack of such a list does make the Bible a very convenient moral guide. Once one has figured out what one's morals are, it's nice to have divine sanction for them.

I have always thought that the homosexuality thing was rooted in the need for a small, beleaguered tribe to increase its population and, to a lesser degree, to separate themselves from the dominate culture. Understandable at the time perhaps, but hardly a reason to be sentenced to Hell thousands of years later.

I doubted such a list existed, but I was hoping against hope. Still, the lack of such a list does make the Bible a very convenient moral guide. Once one has figured out what one's morals are, it's nice to have divine sanction for them.

I have always thought that the homosexuality thing was rooted in the need for a small, beleaguered tribe to increase its population and, to a lesser degree, to separate themselves from the dominate culture. Understandable at the time perhaps, but hardly a reason to be sentenced to Hell thousands of years later.

The list exists. It's just not the same for every denomination.

I know some folks who cite Matthew 5:18, and interpret that verse as stating all of the O.T. Laws are still in effect...including stoning disobedient children to death. ( based on the verse stating 'not one iota of the laws are to be changed 'until the heavens and earth have passed away. " )

It is this inability to decide what is what that has always bothered me about Christians. My immortal soul is supposedly hanging in the balance and no one can agree on what I need to do to save it. Whichever way one turns there is always someone telling one that one has chosen the wrong course. Is this the best God can do?

Exactly. So where does that leave me and my immortal soul?

Your spirit, your essence, your soul, that which lives on beyond your physical death, your influence... will inspire and multiply when good and fade away when evil. More good, more eternal life. More evil, more forgotten.

Fair enough?

It is this inability to decide what is what that has always bothered me about Christians. My immortal soul is supposedly hanging in the balance and no one can agree on what I need to do to save it. Whichever way one turns there is always someone telling one that one has chosen the wrong course. Is this the best God can do?

And that's just one particular religious system to consider. There are tons of others out there that have an entirely different set of rules and claims to consider..I came to the conclusion a very long time ago that men created Gods for various reasons, not vice versa. So for me,personally, the religious issue is now a non-issue. But each to his/her own as to their personal beliefs. All I ask is don't attempt to force your personal beliefs on me. I've looked at the data closely, and have my own opinions.

Your spirit, your essence, your soul, that which lives on beyond your physical death, your influence... will inspire and multiply when good and fade away when evil. More good, more eternal life. More evil, more forgotten.

Fair enough?

In as much as the only way I will survive my death for a while is in the memories of those still living, this makes sense. I hope that they will forgive my faults and cherish whatever good I have given them.

And that's just one particular religious system to consider. There are tons of others out there that have an entirely different set of rules and claims to consider..I came to the conclusion a very long time ago that men created Gods for various reasons, not vice versa. So for me,personally, the religious issue is now a non-issue. But each to his/her own as to their personal beliefs. All I ask is don't attempt to force your personal beliefs on me. I've looked at the data closely, and have my own opinions.

I agree, but I fear you ask the impossible.

In as much as the only way I will survive my death for a while is in the memories of those still living, this makes sense. I hope that they will forgive my faults and cherish whatever good I have given them.

Not only direct memory. Your influence. On people you'll never know and the people they influence. Good inspires and multiplies; it lives forever. So, be good and you'll never completely die.

Not only direct memory. Your influence. On people you'll never know and the people they influence. Good inspires and multiplies; it lives forever. So, be good and you'll never completely die.

Hadn't looked at it that way, ecofarm. Thank you.

So, less activists but the numbers who support what they're fighting for remain at the same level or higher? Perhaps because these people are so intense, so vocal and successful, others don't feel the need to be activists. Kind of like a professional army is better than a load of farmers with muskets.

The polls ask people what their beliefs are. It doesn't ask them if they're doing anything about it.

I wouldn't call pro-life activists successful, so much as they are loud and obnoxious. Roe v Wade hasn't gone anywhere.

The polls ask people what their beliefs are. It doesn't ask them if they're doing anything about it.

I wouldn't call pro-life activists successful, so much as they are loud and obnoxious. Roe v Wade hasn't gone anywhere.

The Koch brothers tried to get into politics with the Libertarian Party back in the 80s. They failed. Then they changed their strategy to a long term one.

They got the Supreme Court to change the rules on money in politics. That took them a long time, but then after this they were able to then target other areas, though of course they'd been working on these before.

Right now, with the Koch brother's help, the US is becoming more conservative even though there are less conservatives.

The Republicans have won the popular vote ONCE in a presidential election since the 1980s. Yet they've had half of the US presidents in this time. They've won the popular vote once in a presidential election and they've managed to get half of the Supreme Court justices.

They've gerrymandered so much of the US that the House is more likely to be theirs. The Senate is more likely to be theirs because they have more of the smaller states.

These people are attacking Roe v. Wade more and more because their power is increasing. They know the Senate is needed to appoint Supreme Court justices.

The Republicans have had 99.7 million votes in the last three Senate elections.
The Democrats have had 103.7 million votes in the LAST TWO Senate elections. (124.6 million in the last 3 elections)

And yet the Senate was the body that allowed the Supreme Court to remain Republican.

They're targeting the areas that matter. They don't need a majority. They just need the power.

Back
Top Bottom