• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas clinics’ lawsuit over abortion ban ‘effectively over’

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Paul Weber and Jamie Stengle, Associated Press:

The Texas Supreme Court on Friday dealt essentially a final blow to abortion clinics’ best hopes of stopping a restrictive law that has sharply curtailed the number of abortions in the state since September and will now fully stay in place for the foreseeable future.

The ruling by the all-Republican court was not unexpected, but it slammed the door on what little path forward the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed Texas clinics after having twice declined to stop a ban on abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy.

It spells the coming end to a federal lawsuit that abortion clinics filed even before the restrictions took effect in September — and were then rejected at nearly every turn, and in nearly every court, for six months.

“There is nothing left, this case is effectively over with respect to our challenge to the abortion ban,” said Marc Hearron, attorney for the Center for Reproductive Rights, which led the challenge against the Texas law known as Senate Bill 8. https://apnews.com/article/abortion-health-texas-0b4ed1808ed44d176bf6c86e6646a718

The article notes that going online to obtain abortion pills has "risen sharply."

The Texas Supreme Court on Friday dealt essentially a final blow to abortion clinics’ best hopes of stopping a restrictive law that has sharply curtailed the number of abortions in the state since September and will now fully stay in place for the foreseeable future.

The ruling by the all-Republican court was not unexpected, but it slammed the door on what little path forward the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed Texas clinics after having twice declined to stop a ban on abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy.

It spells the coming end to a federal lawsuit that abortion clinics filed even before the restrictions took effect in September — and were then rejected at nearly every turn, and in nearly every court, for six months.

“There is nothing left, this case is effectively over with respect to our challenge to the abortion ban,” said Marc Hearron, attorney for the Center for Reproductive Rights, which led the challenge against the Texas law known as Senate Bill 8. https://apnews.com/article/abortion-health-texas-0b4ed1808ed44d176bf6c86e6646a718

The article notes that going online to obtain abortion pills has "risen sharply."

In California, a new bill has been introduced...

This bill would create a private right of action for any person against any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, or causes to be distributed or transported or imported into the state, keeps for sale or offers or exposes for sale, or gives or lends any firearm lacking a serial number required by law, assault weapon, .50 BMG rifle, or firearm precursor part, subject to certain exceptions, as specified. The bill would make these provisions inoperative upon invalidation of a specified law in Texas, and would repeal its provisions on January 1 of the following year.

On the flip side that means things look good for CA gun law.

The claim will be that the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act will exclude lawsuits. While the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act protects manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and importers of firearms or ammunition products, and their trade associations it does NOT protect anyone who might lease property to a gun shop, ship guns or ammo, etc.

Sad for the women of Texas, and for the law generally. We are being encouraged to be snoops and rats against our neighbors who are engaged in lawful activity we personally don't like. Not a place we should go, imo.

Women in Texas need to pack their bags and move to a state that won't take their freedoms and liberty from them.

The people of Texas need to vote these anti freedom far right radical extremists out of office.

There is a fundamental difference.
The Constitution (Bill of Rights) specifically names the right to bear arms as a protected right in the nation. Abortion however is not specifically named as a right in the country. On the contrary, the 10th amendment specifically says that the right to determine the status of abortion rights lie with the states, as abortion rights is not specifically given to the federal government. I believe that is where the SCOTUS is headed and It believe it to be the constitutionally correct ruling.

Women in Texas need to pack their bags and move to a state that won't take their freedoms and liberty from them.

The people of Texas need to vote these anti freedom far right radical extremists out of office.
Yes, by all means, move to a baby killing state. In addition be sure to take the transgender women who want to compete unfairly against biological women and girls. Put all the rotten eggs in one basket as they say. I'm sure that Progressives and extreme liberals will be much happier living in states that allow every perversion they can dream up.

More than half the people voting them into office are women. And expect a number of these "anti freedom far right radical extremists" are, in fact,.......

women.

Yes, by all means, move to a baby killing state. In addition be sure to take the transgender women who want to compete unfairly against biological women and girls. Put all the rotten eggs in one basket as they say. I'm sure that Progressives and extreme liberals will be much happier living in states that allow every perversion they can dream up.
"Rotten eggs" ..... thanks for letting us know how you feel about women.

ok

I'm sure other states such as CA & NY are protecting aborting rights. CO wants to ensure protection of unrestricted abortion rights, which is what we have now.

My state did that 30 years ago in 1992.

It was a ballot initiative that said no matter what any judge says, no matter what any politician says, Roe V. Wade remains the law of the land in my state.

It passed with a good margin. I voted with the majority.

There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to reverse that law.

Women have been and will forever be protected in my state.

I got as far as your first coma then stopped.

I certainly don't advocate for any woman to stay in a state that has laws that will end up murdering any woman.

The laws of Texas will result in women being murdered for the only reason that her pregnancy went wrong and no doctor would help her much less save her life.

Meanwhile, those of us in states that follow the constitution, our medical privacy laws, allows freedom and liberty aren't killing anyone.

So stop with the lies.

I sure do hope women in Texas start leaving that state before they start being murdered.

texas men (in 20-30 years) will probably look back on this era and realize that it's exactly when texas women started their migration to the democratic party.

More than half the people voting them into office are women. And expect a number of these "anti freedom far right radical extremists" are, in fact,.......

women.

So? Your point?

And I don't buy that.

Texas is so severely gerrymandered anyone who has an open mind and isn't a far right radical extremist has lost their vote because of that gerrymandering.

If the state wasn't so gerrymandered Texas would not have such laws being written, passed and signed into law.

According to every poll ever taken, the majority of Americans don't want Roe V. Wade repealed and that includes 53% of republicans.

So I wouldn't be surprised if most of the women in Texas don't support this law and don't want Roe V. Wade repealed.

I wouldn't be surprised that when women and girls start dying because they were denied an abortion things will change in Texas.

That is IF the women in Texas haven't already realized that voting republican has been a very big mistake and votes those republicans out of office.

There is a fundamental difference.
The Constitution (Bill of Rights) specifically names the right to bear arms as a protected right in the nation. Abortion however is not specifically named as a right in the country. On the contrary, the 10th amendment specifically says that the right to determine the status of abortion rights lie with the states, as abortion rights is not specifically given to the federal government. I believe that is where the SCOTUS is headed and It believe it to be the constitutionally correct ruling.

There is NO right for a firearms manufacturer to not be sued in the constitution. A GOP CONGRESS passed a federal law protecting them from lawsuits, however, it only protects a small number of people who can potentially be sued by creating a private right of action like Texas has done. For instance, one could sue the person who leases a store to a firearms dealer or the shipping company that ships the firearms in California if the proposed law is passed. Of course, a future congress can remove the protections provided by the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

Last edited:

It was a ballot initiative that said no matter what any judge says, no matter what any politician says, Roe V. Wade remains the law of the land in my state.

A constitutional challenge would unprotect them if found against it.

So your fourth comment is incorrect.

So? Your point?

And I don't buy that.

Texas is so severely gerrymandered anyone who has an open mind and isn't a far right radical extremist has lost their vote because of that gerrymandering.

If the state wasn't so gerrymandered Texas would not have such laws being written, passed and signed into law.

According to every poll ever taken, the majority of Americans don't want Roe V. Wade repealed and that includes 53% of republicans.

So I wouldn't be surprised if most of the women in Texas don't support this law and don't want Roe V. Wade repealed.

I wouldn't be surprised that when women and girls start dying because they were denied an abortion things will change in Texas.

That is IF the women in Texas haven't already realized that voting republican has been a very big mistake and votes those republicans out of office.

Roe vs. Wade isn't the Texas law.

Gerrymandering.....? Stay on topic.

About 55% of women in Texas opposed the law. About 40% were in favor.

So "most" isn't an accurate statement. Normalizing this would be 58% to 42%

And most of the really active pro-life groups are led by women.

Yes, call us when women and girls start dying in Texas.....hyperbole much ?

The GOP is going in the wrong direction.....for you. In 2022, you are going to get creamed in the elections according to just about every poll out there. State houses will follow....which the GOP already holds many more of than the democrats. Texas will be more red then than now and recent rulings indicate that the Texas law is going to be around a while.

So, what wouldn't surprise you isn't going to matter much.

I'm guessing that's what's going to happen here, since Dems are in charge, and abortion restrictions have always been turned down by the voters here.

I'm guessing that's what's going to happen here, since Dems are in charge, and abortion restrictions have always been turned down by the voters here.

That's the great thing about allowing states to make their own choices.

That was the travesty of Roe.

Once again, the SCOTUS pushing state authority out of the way in a decision that made no sense and was a real POS (in terms of legal explanation).

Harry Blackmunn should be tarred and feathered for his pathetic rendering.

Back
Top Bottom