• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — Texas marked a solemn moment in criminal justice Wednesday evening, executing its 500th inmate since it resumed carrying out capital punishment in 1982.
Kimberly McCarthy, who was put to death for the murder of her 71-year-old neighbor, was also the first woman executed in the U.S. in nearly three years.

Yes, I am still against capital punishment, because an occasional innocent person does get executed every once in a while. But this lady deserved it. She killed 3 elderly women, and stole their credit cards and valuables from their homes. The murder that she was executed for is especially grisly, in that she cut the finger off her victim to get her wedding ring, which she pawned for 200 bucks.

To those who are against the death penalty - Don't feel sorry for those who deserve it, but only those rare cases where someone didn't deserve it, which is why I am against the death penalty.

Article is here

Well they have passed their lynching record so I guess we should be glad they do it legally

Lynching Statistics

Nothing wrong with capital punishment, do the crime do the time. Take a life, give a life.

Well they have passed their lynching record so I guess we should be glad they do it legally

Lynching Statistics

You are comparing people being punished for a crime that they were legally convicted of to people who were abducted and murdered by a terrorist group?

How can capital punishment be punishment if by virtue of the execution the person cannot absorb the punishment because they die? Doesn't make sense to punish someone by killing them; this may provide comfort to the families of those whose loved ones were harmed but that's vengeance- not punishment.

How can capital punishment be punishment if by virtue of the execution the person cannot absorb the punishment because they die? Doesn't make sense to punish someone by killing them; this may provide comfort to the families of those whose loved ones were harmed but that's vengeance- not punishment.

Not a problem.

Seeing most death row inmates spend 10-20 years on death row before they are executed then they have a long time to absorb it.

Seeing most death row inmates spend 10-20 years on death row before they are executed then they have a long time to absorb it.

They may have time to think about it but the actual punishment prescribed is death therefore I revert to my original thought.

You are comparing people being punished for a crime that they were legally convicted of to people who were abducted and murdered by a terrorist group?

I am pointing out an interesting statistical convergence. What you do with that is up to you.

Yes, I am still against capital punishment, because an occasional innocent person does get executed every once in a while. But this lady deserved it. She killed 3 elderly women, and stole their credit cards and valuables from their homes. The murder that she was executed for is especially grisly, in that she cut the finger off her victim to get her wedding ring, which she pawned for 200 bucks.

To those who are against the death penalty - Don't feel sorry for those who deserve it, but only those rare cases where someone didn't deserve it, which is why I am against the death penalty.

Article is here

There's been like 800 plus more who have been executed in Texas going back to the early 1800's. So Texas loves killing people...so much that the state government is hell bent on trying to stop abortions in Texas. You may have noticed that my last sentence made no sense at all. When it comes to death...Texas government has selective ethics.

You can shoot, stab, electrocute...give lethal injections, hang people...but oh don't think about abortion.

not to mention would anybody actually believe or think those stats are accurate, you know because im sure all lynchings were reported and recorded

I am pointing out an interesting statistical convergence. What you do with that is up to you.

Why bring it up of you were not trying to compare people being punished to people being murdered by terrorists?

There's been like 800 plus more who have been executed in Texas going back to the early 1800's. So Texas loves killing people...so much that the state government is hell bent on trying to stop abortions in Texas. You may have noticed that my last sentence made no sense at all. When it comes to death...Texas government has selective ethics.

You can shoot, stab, electrocute...give lethal injections, hang people...but oh don't think about abortion.

And exactly what crime did the unborn child do? I look forward to your well thought out response.

Why is that? People who kill others for trinkets and such have no redeeming qualities.

That's not the point; the point is that capital punishment doesn't punish anyone.

Why bring it up of you were not trying to compare people being punished to people being murdered by terrorists?

Because I found the statistical convergence interesting. Why are you so defensive about it?

And exactly what crime did the unborn child do? I look forward to your well thought out response.

No crime...just at the wrong place at the right time. That's life. In fact, death is inevitable for us all. A fetus isn't exempt.

Capital punishment might be defensible but not as a deterrent. It's revenge, and revenge has value (I suppose) but I hate, I mean really hate the idea of government having the power to execute citizens. And don't tell me about separations of power- the court is an extension of the State.
I say, be honest about it and build a stage in the centre of town. Have the condemned's head pushed down on the block and ensure everyone is present to watch the axe fall. All this mollycoddling about gas chambers, electric chairs, lethal injections, whatever, that's all just to let Ma and Pa reconcile their Christianity with their desire for revenge.

No crime...just at the wrong place at the right time. That's life. In fact, death is inevitable for us all. A fetus isn't exempt.

Oh, how sage. Presumably, however, we all hope to die a natural death.

I wonder how many of them were innocent ...

The crime appears to be existing and the punishment for such a crime is death. You could say that if this is the crime then there is nothing wrong with the state of Texas killing people as all they are doing is carrying out the sentence that the mother of those individuals didn't carry out. Just doing a little bit of tying up those loose ends, right?

Seriously though, your argument appears to work for the state of Texas if they kill someone that was innocent. "They were just there at the wrong place at the right time. That's life. In fact, death is inevitable for us all." Right?

Why is that? People who kill others for trinkets and such have no redeeming qualities.

the costliest crime to society is white-collar and corporate crime, but I don't see many of them getting the death penalty ... like illegal dumping of toxic waste and children die of cancer from it ... how many guys got the chair for that? there's a reason why so many first-world countries, and many others outlawed the death penalty ...

Back
Top Bottom