• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Border Sheriffs: There is No Crisis and We Don’t Want Trump’s Wall

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
National emergency my ass.

https://www.texasobserver.org/texas-border-sheriffs-there-is-no-crisis-and-we-dont-want-trumps-wall

President Trump visited McAllen earlier this month to drum up support for spending $5.7 billion to build more border wall segments on the U.S.-Mexico border. He staged a press conference surrounded by piles of confiscated drugs, guns and cash, describing the situation at the border as “a national emergency.” With the government partially shut down over Trump’s funding dispute with Congress, the president is trying to prove that there’s a new, growing “crisis” on the border to pressure Democrats to cave. But law enforcement leaders in at least two border counties, including the sheriff who patrols McAllen, say the picture Trump is painting of the Texas borderlands is inaccurate.

Hidalgo County Sheriff J.E. “Eddie” Guerra, who is in charge of policing the largest and most populous county in the Rio Grande Valley, said that crime rates in his county are at record lows, and that illegal immigration has very little effect on the safety of residents. Meanwhile, Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson, who is responsible for policing the largest county in Texas, said he doesn’t support the construction of a wall along any part of the 192-mile stretch of border in Brewster County, which includes Big Bend National Park.

“Because we’re on the border, the perception is that there’s murders every day and there’s shootings every day. Yet here in our county, we don’t have that going on. It’s very, very safe," Guerra told the Observer.

It's good to see that one person can speak for the entire stretch of the border.

Why not, Trump does? And what part of “here in our county” didn’t you get?

Why not, Trump does? And what part of “here in our county” didn’t you get?

Yet Trump has the support of half the country that lends to his call for the wall and I'm not talking about this one mans words. It's the way that people are trying to sell them.

Hidalgo County.jpg
Wiki ~ Hidalgo County

Hidalgo Crime Rate Report (Texas)

Hidalgo crime statistics report an overall upward trend in crime based on data from 11 years with violent crime increasing and property crime increasing. Based on this trend, the crime rate in Hidalgo for 2019 is expected to be higher than in 2016.

Crime rate in Hidalgo, Texas (TX)

Crime rate is not at near record lows. They are lower than the national average, but not at near record lows.

Yet Trump has the support of half the country that lends to his call for the wall and I'm not talking about this one mans words. It's the way that people are trying to sell them.

Trump's approval rating is 37%...try harder

The good Sheriff in lock step with his party.

Oh! Bye the way.....one of the most corrupt law enforcement office's in the country.

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...ne-and-corruption-on-the-texas-border-241579/

And, the democrat judicial corruption?

https://texasscorecard.com/rio-grande-valley/rumors-pending-fbi-arrests-circulate-hidalgo-county/

Try harder next time.

Manafort, Cohen, Stone - all Trump cronies, all under indictment.

Talk about corrupt.

But go ahead and sling mud at this guy because he doesn’t fall lockstep with the Corpulent One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to just copy your post but some of the statements had to be underlined

President Trump visited McAllen earlier this month to drum up support for spending $5.7 billion to build more border wall segments on the U.S.-Mexico border. He staged a press conference surrounded by piles of confiscated drugs, guns and cash, describing the situation at the border as “a national emergency.” With the government partially shut down over Trump’s funding dispute with Congress, the president is trying to prove that there’s a new, growing “crisis” on the border to pressure Democrats to cave. But law enforcement leaders in at least two border counties, including the sheriff who patrols McAllen, say the picture Trump is painting of the Texas borderlands is inaccurate.

Hidalgo County Sheriff J.E. “Eddie” Guerra, who is in charge of policing the largest and most populous county in the Rio Grande Valley, said that crime rates in his county are at record lows, and that illegal immigration has very little effect on the safety of residents. Meanwhile, Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson, who is responsible for policing the largest county in Texas, said he doesn’t support the construction of a wall along any part of the 192-mile stretch of border in Brewster County, which includes Big Bend National Park.

“Because we’re on the border, the perception is that there’s murders every day and there’s shootings every day. Yet here in our county, we don’t have that going on. It’s very, very safe," Guerra told the Observer.

Actually, in yesterday's poll it dropped to 36%. Only his base still supports him and even that number has eroded

I also saw 34% and 35%..I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Manafort, Cohen, Stone - all Trump cronies, all under indictment.

Talk about corrupt.

But go ahead and sling mud at this guy because he doesn’t fall lockstep with the Corpulent One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so tell me what this person in question has to do with any of your hated for anything Trump?

A liar/hack/partisan is a liar/hack/partisan.

Got anything better to offer up other than Trump's lies, which have nothing to do with the character of the people involved with the Hildago County Sheriff's office?

It's good to see that one person can speak for the entire stretch of the border.
Actually, it’s two sheriffs who are responsible for large stretches of the border.

You’re two for two being wrong.

OK, so tell me what this person in question has to do with any of your hated for anything Trump?

A liar/hack/partisan is a liar/hack/partisan.

Got anything better to offer up other than Trump's lies, which have nothing to do with the character of the people involved with the Hildago County Sheriff's office?

I don't hate Trump.

The good Sheriff in lock step with his party.

Oh! Bye the way.....one of the most corrupt law enforcement office's in the country.

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...ne-and-corruption-on-the-texas-border-241579/

And, the democrat judicial corruption?

https://texasscorecard.com/rio-grande-valley/rumors-pending-fbi-arrests-circulate-hidalgo-county/

Try harder next time.

Try harder next time to refute the premise of the OP, which is the fact that there isn't a national emergency.

Poll I saw today says 57% support the wall — 57% of republicans. Otherwise it is losing as a solution.

"A group of 180 migrants were apprehended by Arizona border agents Wednesday morning. Fernando Grijalva said the area has become a hotbed for illegal crossing.
"I've seen six different presidents at the time that I've been with the Border Patrol and this is the worst crisis that I've seen," he said."
"Despite some lapses in the wall, Grijalva believes they still work.
"Operationally I can tell that you without a physical barrier at border patrol we have a very tough time succeeding," he said."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/border...migrants-working-without-pay-during-shutdown/

That's right because if what one liberal/progressive person says represents us all. You get my drift?

I'm trying to think up an answer for this, let's see. Um, Obama, wait, hillary's emails give them free passes into the country. That's the reason these sheriffs see 'no problems' in their counties. And the deep state is everywhere so free people are afraid to speak out. How's that?

This is why I say no democratic candidate should waste their time being middle of the road trying to get a few republicans to cross over and get their vote.

Actually, he has the support of maybe a third of the country who’d vote for Adolf Hitler if he’d had an (R) next to his name and that’s about it.

View attachment 67248779
Wiki ~ Hidalgo County

Hidalgo Crime Rate Report (Texas)

Crime rate in Hidalgo, Texas (TX)

Crime rate is not at near record lows. They are lower than the national average, but not at near record lows.

So? Just because they are all Democrats, does that mean they can twist the facts to meet their narrative?

Evidently, Democrats are against the wall and Trump Republicans are for it. The argument is not about what party wins, it is about whether the wall is needed. You are actually proving my point with this post, inasmuch as you are proving that this is all about politics and not about the wall.

So? Just because they are all Democrats, does that mean they can twist the facts to meet their narrative?

Evidently, Democrats are against the wall and Trump Republicans are for it. The argument is not about what party wins, it is about whether the wall is needed. You are actually proving my point with this post, inasmuch as you are proving that this is all about politics and not about the wall.

Depends on what camp you're in.

Those that want the wall now but voted against it, or spoke out against it, previously: It's about the politics.
Those that want the wall and have been consistent on that stance through out the years, its not about politics. Its about the need for a wall.

Those that don't want the wall, but previously voted for it, or spoke in favor of it,: It's about the politics.
Those that don't want the wall, and have been consistent on that stance throughout the years, its not about the politics. It's about there not being a need for a wall.

It's not so simple as it just being about politics. Nancy and Schumer have previously voted for it before, yet are now against it? That's pure politics. Trump probably wants it for an ego trip so its not about politics for him, its about vanity. Regardless of either of those three though, there are those that are in those other camps....which includes it not being about politics.

As for them being Democrats, its a good indication of which direction they would swing on any given issue. And with as divided as America is right now its really no surprise that they would come out against the wall. That they would twist facts is no surprise either. Both sides do twist facts. The only ones that have a chance at keeping either group "honest" are Independents...and even that has its own hazards.

Try harder next time to refute the premise of the OP, which is the fact that there isn't a national emergency.

I guess you like trafficking, and scores of murdered people at the hands of the violent illegals. Murders that would not have happened if these illegals were never here in the 1st place.

Yeah....the majority of illegals are damn nice people, but even they broke the law being here in the 1st place.

Back
Top Bottom