• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas and Florida Top the List

Is it possible you have low population density, there? With a low amount of ingress & egress by 'outsiders'?

I agree with this point. Absolutely. I'm a firm believer in 'local rule', as much as is reasonable.

300,000 population county - residences - but triple that in tourist seasons. This place is PACKED on weekends - best fishing grounds in the USA, for scallop season too - coming from all over the USA. From the entire rustbelt and East Coast (lots of NY plates) and from some Democratic cities under lockdown. When Florida opened up and most stated still on lockdown - the number of snowbirds and tourists went thru the ceiling. House values tripled in a few months.

I think when Fauci said "Maybe it is because of sunlight" - like a sneer, he hit the nail on the head. The mayor here issued an "edict" outlawing renting out kayaks because they might have covid-19 on them. The Country government instantly said the mayor is nuts cancelling it. Have any idea how long virus can live in Florida's summer sunlight? The beach is the safest possible place, not shopping for clothing made in China in a Walmart store with the same number of people - even they're wearing masks.

I 100% disagree with how covid-19 has been handled - but why go into that for the 1,001th time?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but you stated CA & NY were the leading number of deaths, and my response was they were the first cases before we even knew we had a problem. It took some time for us to realize we were infected, much less turn the virus from 'novel' to 'understood & treatable. Meanwhile, many in that initial group died.

We have a much lower death rates today, because we have tests, vaccines, & treatments.
this article is from two days ago. interesting stuff...

For the week that ended on Sunday, 49 states reported increases in COVID-19 cases, the same as the previous week. Nebraska’s decrease of 1 percent in cases was the only decline.

Alabama had the highest increase, with a 134 percent jump to 10,554 cases. That was followed by Mississippi with a 132 percent hike to 6,376 cases and Iowa with a 111 percent jump to 1,519 cases.

Virginia had a 108 percent jump to 3,801 cases, while Massachusetts and Louisiana both recorded hikes of 101 percent.

In overall numbers, the CDC reported that Florida had the most new cases in the past 7 days with 87,470. That’s almost 50,000 more than the previous week.

Florida continues to account for about 20 percent of the country’s new COVID-19 cases.

California is second with 37,384 new cases this past week, about 25,000 more than the previous week.

Texas is in third place with 35,198 new cases, about 14,000 more than the previous week.

Louisiana is in fourth place with 20,503 new cases, about 9,000 more than the previous week.

Missouri has dropped to fifth place with 17,261 new cases, about 3,000 more than the previous week.

The CDC reports that Louisiana is the leader on a per capita basis, with 441 cases per 100,000 residents over the past 7 days.

Florida is second with 407 cases per 100,000 residents, while Arkansas is third with 359 cases per 100,000 residents.

Both Mississippi and Missouri recorded 281 new cases per 100,000 residents.

Florida and Arkansas also are recording high transmission rates in every one of their counties.

Here’s a look at some of the states with the highest increases and their percentage of fully vaccinated people.
StateCases per 100,000 residentsFull vaccination rate
Louisiana44136 percent
Florida40748 percent
Arkansas35936 percent
Mississippi28134 percent
Missouri28140 percent
Sources: Reuters, CDC

There were 23 states that reported an increase this past week in COVID-19 deaths, compared with 31 states the previous week.

Idaho had the largest hike, with a 250 percent increase to 14 deaths. Oklahoma was next with a 236 percent jump to 37 deaths, followed by Hawaii with a 200 percent rise to 6 deaths.

Florida recorded the most COVID-19 deaths over the past 7 days with 370.

Texas was second with 201 deaths, while California was third with 142 deaths and Missouri fourth with 104 deaths. Nevada was listed in fifth with 76 deaths.

300,000 population county - residences - but triple that in tourist seasons. This place is PACKED on weekends - best fishing grounds in the USA, for scallop season too - coming from all over the USA. From the entire rustbelt and East Coast (lots of NY plates) and from some Democratic cities under lockdown. When Florida opened up and most stated still on lockdown - the number of snowbirds and tourists went thru the ceiling. House values tripled in a few months.

I think when Fauci said "Maybe it is because of sunlight" - like a sneer, he hit the nail on the head. The mayor here issued an "edict" outlawing renting out kayaks because they might have covid-19 on them. The Country government instantly said the mayor is nuts cancelling it. Have any idea how long virus can live in Florida's summer sunlight? The beach is the safest possible place, not shopping for clothing made in China in a Walmart store with the same number of people - even they're wearing masks.

I 100% disagree with how covid-19 has been handled - but why go into that for the 1,001th time?

Alright Joko, fair enough.

And yes, strong sunlight & heat does play a roll. Absolutely!

Well, we're going to become two Americas - of sorts. But yes, even in the 'safer' America we will pay some of the price, to say nothing of paying collectively as a nation.
Unfortunately we're repeating a similar pattern in the south as we had last year, but at least with less deaths. The disconcerting part is cases are rising in the northeast at a higher rate than last summer, which makes me a bit more concerned for what the fall will bring. This September will be different than last year's because we'll have kids in school full time and many office workers expected to return to the office; albeit in hybrid schedules for some.

We've learned a lot since those early days though, Fletch. In a way, those early lives lost gave us the knowledge of how to live with the pandemic.
When you are living through a pandemic the number one thing to do is limit those coming into your country who are coming from countries that have a high infection rate and halt your citizens from traveling to high infected countries for a time. Biden halted travel to England for a time due to the surge of the Delta varriant. But at the same time allowed illegal immigrants to pour across our southern boarder with a high infection rate of having Covid by the hundreds of thousands and then bussed or flown to cities all over the country By the Biden administration. WTH?

We also learned that states run by Democrats practiced returning elderly patients back to nursing homes or assisted living centers with COVID because their number one healthcare provider was the government that would include Medicare and Medicaid patients where they can not collect the big bucks from those who have healthcare back to their "homes" while still sick so they could open up beds for those who have insurance outside government where the hospitals make more money. In doing so killed a lot of elderly un-necessarily.

I sure learned a lot over the last 6 months during the Biden administration. and so has the majority.

Umm, every state ended the mask mandates and social distancing protocols :rolleyes:
It should also be pointed out even after all this time, California and New York still hold the title as the two states with the most Covid deaths. Congrats libs!!
CA and NY, not coincidentally, also have the largest populations in the U.S.

MEANWHILE, in my province:

Today’s coronavirus news: Ontario reports 218 COVID-19 cases, three deaths; more than 80 per cent of eligible Ontarians now have at least one dose of vaccine​

NY is the leader is deaths per capita, followed by NJ, MA and RI
Where do planes land from overseas?? Keep giving trumpistanis a pass for intentionally spreading covud-22.

When you are living through a pandemic the number one thing to do is limit those coming into your country who are coming from countries that have a high infection rate and halt your citizens from traveling to high infected countries for a time. Biden halted travel to England for a time due to the surge of the Delta varriant. But at the same time allowed illegal immigrants to pour across our southern boarder with a high infection rate of having Covid by the hundreds of thousands and then bussed or flown to cities all over the country By the Biden administration. WTH?

We also learned that states run by Democrats practiced returning elderly patients back to nursing homes or assisted living centers with COVID because their number one healthcare provider was the government that would include Medicare and Medicaid patients where they can not collect the big bucks from those who have healthcare back to their "homes" while still sick so they could open up beds for those who have insurance outside government where the hospitals make more money. In doing so killed a lot of elderly un-necessarily.

I sure learned a lot over the last 6 months during the Biden administration. and so has the majority.
Your trumpistani posts remain full of Q lies.

This is just crap because Texas and Florida are considered swing states. There is nothing more to it - and is among the many reasons Biden is pouring covid-19 people into both states, more in Texas.
Given that age is a factor and Florida is "God's Waiting Room" for the elderly, Florida's death rates should be 5 times higher at least than most states, and is not.

As Fauci once said about why gobs of Floridian weren't dropping like flies from covid-19, "I don't know, maybe it has something to do with sunlight." (What corrupt evil lying little twit.)

But I understand the concept of any relationship between sunlight and viruses is way to complicated for most because they haven't heard corporate media chant some slogan about it 17,000 times. It seems instead to the contrary, most believe a person should stay inside and out of the sunlight as much as possible to avoid covid-19, ideally with 4,000 other people in a WalMart store.
Florida is not among those states that has the lowest off vaccinated. In fact they are up there with Michigan and Illinois.

Texas is a little bit worse, but still not among the absolute worst.

Last edited:
Remember when the arrogant in Texas and Florida were telling the rest of us how smart they were to end the mask mandates and other social distancing protocols?

Yeah, well now they each lead the nation (by Far) in new COVID cases.

Florida's numbers are likely even worse when you consider DeSantis and his thugs manipulate the numbers for political purposes.

You are a week late

I’ve been busy.

It is too bad our forefather ****ed up so bad and set up separate states and not one country.
Indeed; a unified, coordinated national response to the pandemic would have doubtless resulted in far fewer infections and deaths. Instead the US found 50 ways to screw-up.

Where do planes land from overseas?? Keep giving trumpistanis a pass for intentionally spreading covud-22.
On a runway I hope.

Busiest airports in the US

ATL
LAX
Ohare
DFW
Denver

If people would just get thge damn vaccine , which has proved very save and highly effective in preventing serious illness, we could all get on with our lives without all this confrontation and angst. Covid has become so politized in the States people are willing to get very sick and even die and their" leaders" are facilitating it. DeSantis wants the 2024 nomination so bad he is willing to sacrifice the health of Foridians to get it. Well Ronnie that strategy didn't work so well for Donnie!!! Far as I'm concerned the leaders who are fanning this fire can go straight to hell where they truly belong!

There's pros & cons, my friend. There is something to be said about local autonomy. This is a big, diverse, country. And, there's a beauty in that.

I could not disagree more.

The reason we have Trump is because we have allowed different cultures to flourish.

Back
Top Bottom