• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texans, lend me your ears!

Harry Guerrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So my wife asked me today, if I would be alright with moving to Texas, specifically the Fort Worth area.

I don't know anything about the place, never visited anywhere past Alabama.
I just don't know anything at all about Texas.

How is the economy?
The weather?
Hunting areas?
Traffic?

Are there any rural areas around Fort Worth that have decent job markets?

Tell me anything about the area please. :2wave:

I don't have any helpful area advice. But I've got one piece of "gold" for ya' -- "Happy Wife, Happy Life!!" I'm sure you'll get great advice. Good luck to you!!!

I don't have any helpful area advice. But I've got one piece of "gold" for ya' -- "Happy Wife, Happy Life!!" I'm sure you'll get great advice. Good luck to you!!!

To true. :mrgreen:

Honestly It doesn't bother me at all to move, I'm always up for an adventure.
The wife would love to leave tomorrow, I'm thinking more a like a year in order to get some more money together for the move costs.

The Fort Worth area is fairly good for a city, but if you move to the area, I suggest one of the smaller suburbs. The Texas economy is fairly stable comparatively speaking. It gets hot as hell in the summer here, but winter is usually livable with a few short periods of cold weather, rare snow, occasional ice, and some warm balmy days in January on occasion.:) Hunting is expensive if you are going to lease, but white tails are abundant, and there is a considerable amount of government hunting land- it's just restricted on the types of firearms you can hunt with. I don't know the terrain you are accustomed to hunting in, but central Texas is pretty open and hunting deer is best done with decent rifles- much more difficult with bows. Fort Hood has a nice hunting deal that's not expensive that you may want to check out. Traffic in the DFW area can be a nightmare, but not as bad as Houston and Austin. The cost of living is probably in the mid-range compared to other metro areas in the country. I used to live in Fort Worth, and it's better (imo) than living in Dallas, by far.

The Fort Worth area is fairly good for a city, but if you move to the area, I suggest one of the smaller suburbs. The Texas economy is fairly stable comparatively speaking. It gets hot as hell in the summer here, but winter is usually livable with a few short periods of cold weather, rare snow, occasional ice, and some warm balmy days in January on occasion.:) Hunting is expensive if you are going to lease, but white tails are abundant, and there is a considerable amount of government hunting land- it's just restricted on the types of firearms you can hunt with. I don't know the terrain you are accustomed to hunting in, but central Texas is pretty open and hunting deer is best done with decent rifles- much more difficult with bows. Fort Hood has a nice hunting deal that's not expensive that you may want to check out. Traffic in the DFW area can be a nightmare, but not as bad as Houston and Austin. The cost of living is probably in the mid-range compared to other metro areas in the country. I used to live in Fort Worth, and it's better (imo) than living in Dallas, by far.

I'd prefer to live in a rural outskirt of Fort Worth if possible.
I'm not to big on the city or suburbs.

I've been reading and it says that the city is located between the beginning of the plains and forested areas.
I definitely prefer forest.

If you prefer forest, you'll have to go east. Dallas and Fort Worth are basically on a large plain area- it starts getting hilly west of FW, and tree-covered east of Dallas. The Texas hills are beautiful but the trees tend to be small and the terrain is open but beautiful. East Tx has lots of tall trees (pine and similar). There are pros and cons to either.:)

If you prefer forest, you'll have to go east. Dallas and Fort Worth are basically on a large plain area- it starts getting hilly west of FW, and tree-covered east of Dallas. The Texas hills are beautiful but the trees tend to be small and the terrain is open but beautiful. East Tx has lots of tall trees (pine and similar). There are pros and cons to either.:)

I'm a Georgia boy, I love the the trees but I suppose I could make due with hills and nothing. :(

I'm a Georgia boy, I love the the trees but I suppose I could make due with hills and nothing. :(

There's plenty of trees in DFW, just not forest. Since DFW is in a plain, there's ample water. It's when you move west of FW that it starts getting hilly with live oaks and a few mesquites. You would probably like the older sections of housing in FW. West, it's not hills with nothing, it's just hills with smaller trees, native grasses, and lots of cows and hay.:mrgreen:
Something you may want to consider is north of Dallas up near Sherman. It's an hour commute to work in north Dallas- I have a friend who does it 5 days per week. Texas has just about any type of terrain you want, much of it rural, and much of it affordable.:)

There's plenty of trees in DFW, just not forest. Since DFW is in a plain, there's ample water. It's when you move west of FW that it starts getting hilly with live oaks and a few mesquites. You would probably like the older sections of housing in FW. West, it's not hills with nothing, it's just hills with smaller trees, native grasses, and lots of cows and hay.:mrgreen:
Something you may want to consider is north of Dallas up near Sherman. It's an hour commute to work in north Dallas- I have a friend who does it 5 days per week. Texas has just about any type of terrain you want, much of it rural, and much of it affordable.:)

Affordable and rural are my thing.
It's something I think I could get used to, less trees.

If I like the place enough I'd consider buying a house there.

Back
Top Bottom