• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Texan pleads guilty in abortion clinic bomb case

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Texan pleads guilty in abortion clinic bomb case

Reuters
Fri Jul 27, 2007

A Texas man pleaded guilty on Friday to attempting to bomb an Austin women's clinic where abortions are performed, U.S. officials said.

Under a plea agreement with prosecutors, Paul Evans, 27, faces up to 40 years in federal prison for the April 25 crime in which he placed a bomb in front of the clinic, but it did not explode.

No motive for the attempted bombing was disclosed.

According to a statement from U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton, Evans admitted he bought materials for the bomb on April 24 at a hardware store in the eastern Texas town of Lufkin and later that day at an Austin store.

The next day he put the bomb, loaded with 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of nails, in the parking lot of the Austin Women's Health Center.

A clinic employee spotted the suspicious package and called police, who defused the bomb that they said packed enough power to kill or badly injure anyone within 100 feet.

>snip<

Evans has been in jail since his arrest on April 27. No sentencing date has been set.

He had previous convictions for aggravated robbery and burglary, officials said.

That was the first bombing attempt this year at an abortion clinic, according to the National Abortion Federation, which tracks violence against abortion providers.

Four incidents of attempted bombing or arson were reported in 2006, the NAF said. More than 40 abortion clinic bombings have occurred since 1977, with the last reported in 2001.

link

This is actually not good news.
I don't think Evans acted alone, but I think he's decided- or been persuaded- to take the fall so that his accomplices will be free to continue these activities.

This is actually not good news.
I don't think Evans acted alone, but I think he's decided- or been persuaded- to take the fall so that his accomplices will be free to continue these activities.

What makes you think that?

What makes you think that?

Just a hunch.
From the little I know of him, he seems more a follower than a vigilante.
Also, there are Southern baptist groups here that discreetly advocate violence for the prolife cause. My hunch is he fell in with them after his release from prison, and was either persuaded or simply paid to commit this crime.
His previous record suggests a self-centered young thug who is willing to commit violence for personal gain; it does not suggest- at least not to me- a political extremist or an ideologue who is willing to commit violence for a greater cause at no profit (and in fact, at grave detriment) to himself.

Message to abortion mills: Sow the Wind and Reap the Whirlwind

There is no justification.

Message to anti-choice extremists: fvck with us and spend the next forty years in the federal pen getting raped in the hiney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

Message to anti-choice extremists: fvck with us and spend the next forty years in the federal pen getting raped in the hiney.

My goodness! :shock: Well-bred young ladies don't use such language!

There is no justification.

Abortion is probably the most drastic thing that happens that has no or insufficient justification.

Just a hunch.
From the little I know of him, he seems more a follower than a vigilante.
Also, there are Southern baptist groups here that discreetly advocate violence for the prolife cause. My hunch is he fell in with them after his release from prison, and was either persuaded or simply paid to commit this crime.
His previous record suggests a self-centered young thug who is willing to commit violence for personal gain; it does not suggest- at least not to me- a political extremist or an ideologue who is willing to commit violence for a greater cause at no profit (and in fact, at grave detriment) to himself.

So basically you have absolutely nothing to support your far-flung theory.

Surprising to see that you have such a cavalier attitude towards prison rape. One would think that with all the trolling you do on similar topics you'd be a bit less callous.

My goodness! :shock: Well-bred young ladies don't use such language!

That's as may be, but I do, because I'm neither well-bred, nor young, nor a lady.

In any event, it's true.

That's as may be, but I do, because I'm neither well-bred, nor young, nor a lady.

In any event, it's true.

Well this book may be of assistance to you :2razz: :

books-160.jpg

Well this book may be of assistance to you :2razz: :

books-160.jpg

No doubt if I aspired to ladyhood, it would.
Does Ms. Manners have any advice about the proper way to respond when a gentleman impertinently tries to dispatch one with a nail bomb as one seeks medical care at one's local reproductive health clinic?

Abortion is probably the most drastic thing that happens that has no or insufficient justification.

I agree with that.

... as one seeks medical care at one's local reproductive health clinic?

Pregnancy is indicative of reproductive health.

Pregnancy is indicative of reproductive health.

Be that as it may, the AWHC (Austin Women's Health Clinic) offers a wide spectrum of women's health services, including well woman care, annual exams and pap smears, mammograms, birth control, emergency contraception, and fertility consultations.

Be that as it may, the AWHC (Austin Women's Health Clinic) offers a wide spectrum of women's health services, including well woman care, annual exams and pap smears, mammograms, birth control, emergency contraception, and fertility consultations.

So did he claim he was bombing due to the abortions? Maybe he just really hates pap smears. :mrgreen: I'm not a fan.;)

So did he claim he was bombing due to the abortions? Maybe he just really hates pap smears. :mrgreen: I'm not a fan.;)

He makes no claims whatsoever.
He pled guilty to the crime, and declined to elaborate or disclose his motive as of this time.
Another reason I think he's a fall guy; when has an anti-choice extremist- a clinic bomber- ever resisted an opportunity to flap his yap to the media about his lame-arsed ideology?

No doubt if I aspired to ladyhood, it would.
Does Ms. Manners have any advice about the proper way to respond when a gentleman impertinently tries to dispatch one with a nail bomb as one seeks medical care at one's local reproductive health clinic?

Yes indeedy! She suggests he cover it in an outer shell of napalm embedded with fragments of razor wire! :bomb: :kissy:

Yes indeedy! She suggests he cover it in an outer shell of napalm embedded with fragments of razor wire! :bomb: :kissy:

That seems an unlikely and potentially libelous claim.

It's an abortion mill. Those services are offered at tens of thousands of doctor's offices, and the AWHC would go out of business in a day except for its grisly abortion trade.

That seems an unlikely and potentially libelous claim.

Uh, er, thanks for your opinion, Justice 1069! :lol:

It's an abortion mill.

Translation: To the RR, an abortion mill= anyplace that performs abortions.

Those services are offered at tens of thousands of doctor's offices, and the AWHC would go out of business in a day except for its grisly abortion trade.

If that were true, and the business managers were ONLY in business to make a profit, the clinic would stop offering the other services. IAC, you cannot bomb any business just because you have decided it is unnecessary or it offends you in some way.

Back
Top Bottom