• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Test taking

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
If a student does well on essay exams but poorly on multiple choice, what does that indicate of the student?

I would image that they are probably more concept and big picture oriented over tidbits and facts oriented. With an essay exam you can explain your reasoning and have more freedom to answer what is being asked to show the instructor what you know. With multiple choice you either know the fact or you don't.

If a student does well on essay exams but poorly on multiple choice, what does that indicate of the student?

That the student is coloring outside the circles on the multiple choice sheet or not using a #2 pencil.

Multiple choice isn't good for those who see more than one possibility depending on the finer details. For math, it works. For definition of words, it works. I have a hard time with any multiple choice that can have more than one possible answer, depending on the finer details not stated.

It could be that the kid's multiple choice strategy isn't very effective, while his essay strategy is.

Make sure the kid knows how to systematically tackle multiple choice, IE: like physically marking through dumb or wrong answers, then picking the most logical of the remaining. There are a whole lot of different techniques.

The other thing it could be is what Lord of Planar said. Maybe it's hard for the kid's brain to deal with ambiguity. That's how my brain works, I want solid, 100% correct or incorrect answers. Ambiguity drives me nuts. Sometimes on tests I see how two answers could logically work, depending on how you look at it.

It could be that the kid's multiple choice strategy isn't very effective, while his essay strategy is.

Make sure the kid knows how to systematically tackle multiple choice, IE: like physically marking through dumb or wrong answers, then picking the most logical of the remaining. There are a whole lot of different techniques.

The other thing it could be is what Lord of Planar said. Maybe it's hard for the kid's brain to deal with ambiguity. That's how my brain works, I want solid, 100% correct or incorrect answers. Ambiguity drives me nuts. Sometimes on tests I see how two answers could logically work, depending on how you look at it.
Exactly that with me.

What does it indicate when a student does well on oral exams but utterly fails on written exams?

In general people have many different ways of processing and accessing learned information. While exams and test and such are good indicators of that knowledge, the different types of test can mask true learning and comprehension measurement. It's one of the reasons that I advocate that a student that seems to do poorly on written test be allowed to have other methods of knowledge measurement applied instead of just outright failing them.

Back
Top Bottom