• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
President Donald Trump has repeatedly advocated for a steel slat design for his border wall, which he described as "absolutely critical to border security" in his Oval Office address to the nation Tuesday. But Department of Homeland Security testing of a steel slat prototype proved it could be cut through with a saw, according to a report by DHS.

A photo exclusively obtained by NBC News shows the results of the test after military and Border Patrol personnel were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.

190110-border-wall-steel-prototype-nbc-news-exclusive_a94294e20f94de9e58b58be2f7e5f48d.fit-760w.jpg

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...hVJ2yjK7eEr4xIFor206oLWd6UGiFUnVIBwZmduxwm-Og

An emory board?

??? -- Simply telling folks what tools the need to overcome a multibillion dollar barrier is "too bad" for whom?

Because I'm curious what they used. Duh.

Last edited:

It looks to me to be an acetylene torch, and possibly an angle grinder. And for a job that size, would be truck mounted - tanks for the torch, and a generator for the grinder.

Steel is faster, reinforced concrete is better, but I would expect rebar could be added inside the tubes before they are filled with concrete. There is a military installation that I know of that specified aggregate from southern Texas that is harder than hell to the point of being almost tool proof.

However this is a compromise for the wrong reasons. Trump wants a wall, he democrats want something that is easily defeated that they won't maintain and repair when they take power.

Any "common tool" is going to take awhile to cut through steel. Which is why more than JUST slats, or even a straight up concrete wall needs more than just themselves to make them effective. Such as surveillance camera's, motion detectors etc etc. The wall slows them down, the rest is to help pinpoint where someone is trying to get through so that they can be stopped/captured. For those not so determined they will be funneled to other areas.

Why would they cut two when it clearly shows just one is needed?

Why don't we just negotiate a deal with the Chinese where they ship their wall to us and we give them a break on tariffs. Theirs should cover most of the border and is better to look at.

:)

Your tax dollars at work, Ladies and Gents.

It looks to me to be an acetylene torch, and possibly an angle grinder. And for a job that size, would be truck mounted - tanks for the torch, and a generator for the grinder.

Steel is faster, reinforced concrete is better, but I would expect rebar could be added inside the tubes before they are filled with concrete. There is a military installation that I know of that specified aggregate from southern Texas that is harder than hell to the point of being almost tool proof.

However this is a compromise for the wrong reasons. Trump wants a wall, he democrats want something that is easily defeated that they won't maintain and repair when they take power.

Acetylene torch, diamond saw or something else...It matters not for all of them are readily available at Home Depot.

LOL - it may come as a surprise to many members of our woefully uninformed media, but you can also cut through things like wood, concrete, stone, tile, rock... all using common tools. That's how we build things.

:lamo:lamo:lamoMore like a Mini Cooper.

The construction for all the walls that make up the Great Wall of China took 22 centuries to complete and in the end it didn't stop the invading Mongols.

e269212a41dd4f999d9a4d26_298x199.jpg

Trump keeps referencing the wall that Israeli built along the West Bank of Palestine at the Gaza strip crossing. The most recent wall at that border was built to prevent terrorists from ramming their vehicles into border crossings as part of suicide missions. Less than 5% of their wall is a concrete wall. Although sections of concrete wall are most often pictured in the media, these account for only 3% of the barrier, primarily in residential areas and along highways where Palestinian snipers had targeted Israeli citizens. Work is now being done on mostly constructed sections of the fence and areas that have to be rerouted in response to court rulings. The Defense Ministry previously projected the fence would be completed by 2010, and it's still not finished in 2019.

Unlike her rocky, hilly border with the West Bank, Israel’s border with Gaza is flat, sandy desert, not unlike parts of our border with Mexico and because of those conditions the Hamas terror organization that runs Gaza takes advantage of the loose soil to dig large numbers of tunnels into Israel for the purpose of kidnapping and murdering Israeli civilians. In the most recent of her three wars with Hamas, Israel found and destroyed 32 terror tunnels, but Hamas relentlessly continues to dig new ones.

Walls of the scope and magnitude that Trump is trying to sell us simply do not work. History has proven it over and over again.

Yeah, that would be a great solution. Adding billions upon billions more to the price of the wall. Let's face it. It was a stupid idea right from the start

Back
Top Bottom