• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tesla unveils $35,000-Model 3 with range of 215 miles

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Finally. Chevy is coming out with the Chevy Bolt probably before this Tesla and has around the same price and mileage range as well.

Tesla Motors gave a sneak preview Thursday of its Model 3 sedan, saying more than 130,000 people had ordered the car, even though it is more than a year away from production.​

Now they just need to get their cars down to the 15k - 20k range to be competitive. :)

Now they just need to get their cars down to the 15k - 20k range to be competitive. :)

You think? People that cannot pay more than $15.000 probably won't have the infrastructure at home to plug it in over night. That might even turn out to be limitation on the $ 35.000 crowd.

Finally. Chevy is coming out with the Chevy Bolt probably before this Tesla and has around the same price and mileage range as well.

Tesla Motors gave a sneak preview Thursday of its Model 3 sedan, saying more than 130,000 people had ordered the car, even though it is more than a year away from production.​

I wanted an electric car, so don't take this negatively.
I don't think the mileage listed is realistic.
It's going to be terrain and temperature based.

I almost bought a Nissan Leaf, but after seeing realistic reviews, the advertised mileage was more than real world.

Fantastic...IF they built it AND sell it for the advertised price.

Tesla has made lots of promises before that they did not keep.

As for GM...this is the same company that built the EV-1 and then destroyed every one they could get their hands on when California chickened out on the zero emission law.

My guess is it will be way over $35G and/or the range will be no where near 200 miles.

But, at least they are talking about it...which hopefully bodes well for the future.

I almost bought a Nissan Leaf, but after seeing realistic reviews, the advertised mileage was more than real world.

I heard that used ones had battery life deterioration so bad that they had ranges as low as 25-30 miles on a full recharge.

I love the idea of a cheap EV...but the Leaf is a joke imo (and I remotely thought of buying one as well).

I heard that used ones had battery life deterioration so bad that they had ranges as low as 25-30 miles on a full recharge.

I love the idea of a cheap EV...but the Leaf is a joke imo (and I remotely thought of buying one as well).

Yea, my round trip on a good day would barely make the estimated range I was reading about (approx 60 miles).
That doesn't account for the terrain or weather.

Some had good results, others not so good.

My guess is it will be way over $35G and/or the range will be no where near 200 miles.
But, at least they are talking about it...which hopefully bodes well for the future.

A lot of these cars come with standard outlet plugs.
$35k is too much, imo.

Yeah, we're probably still at this stage of electric cars:

brick.jpg

It'll probably be some time still before the general consumer can afford the electric, self-driving maybe flying cars. :lol:

As for GM...this is the same company that built the EV-1 and then destroyed every one they could get their hands on when California chickened out on the zero emission law.

Their other cars are getting well over 200 miles per charge so I don't know why it's not believable. They also say that the price is dependent on the gigafactory they built in Nevada getting up to speed and it is on target to do so. It's mass production of batteries is imperative to driving down the price to $35,000. And that price is before EV incentives you can get to lower the price.

Some people have complained about the Model S's range being lower than the advertised 230 miles per charge in the cold due to running heaters and such... but still long mileage.

Some people have complained about the Model S's range being lower than the advertised 230 miles per charge in the cold due to running heaters and such... but still long mileage.

Once I can get a reliable 200 miles (hills, mountains, cold, heater and a/c), with an around $15k price tag, I'd purchase one.
I'm not a fan of spending a huge amount on vehicles.

I cant help but wonder about the conspiracy theory in my head that the car manufacturers and big oil are doing their best to see Tesla fail at this. I wonder if Elon Musk's company is in a make or break stage with this model coming out.

Their other cars are getting well over 200 miles per charge so I don't know why it's not believable. They also say that the price is dependent on the gigafactory they built in Nevada getting up to speed and it is on target to do so. It's mass production of batteries is imperative to driving down the price to $35,000. And that price is before EV incentives you can get to lower the price.

They said when the company was launched many years ago that they were going to build a $50K sedan and they still have yet to do that.

Tesla rolls out new sedan - CNN.com

I cant help but wonder about the conspiracy theory in my head that the car manufacturers and big oil are doing their best to see Tesla fail at this. I wonder if Elon Musk's company is in a make or break stage with this model coming out.

Oh, I am quite sure the majors want to see Tesla die.

ANd if Tesla ever brings the 35K, 200 mile car to production...I am guessing the majors will go all by building cars that deliberately undercut whatever Tesla does and sell them at a loss just to kill Tesla.

The majors are TERRIFIED of all electric cars.

Whats the real price without taxpayer subsidies?

Oh, I am quite sure the majors want to see Tesla die.

ANd if Tesla ever brings the 35K, 200 mile car to production...I am guessing the majors will go all by building cars that deliberately undercut whatever Tesla does and sell them at a loss just to kill Tesla.

The majors are TERRIFIED of all electric cars.

Even at $35k it's still not anything for major oil companies to be worried about. That's still $15K more than a gas sedan. People will endure a lot just to save 10 cents on a cola, they will endure just about anything to save $15k.

I see Teslas all over my neighborhood right beside the Bentleys, rolls, Ferraris, etc

So instead of gass we're using coal....

So instead of gass we're using coal....

Coal and petroleum are nose-diving while natural gas and renewables are escalating in filling those needs.

chart2.jpg

Last edited:
Varies by location, states should not be using coal anyways.

Coal accounts for something like 1/3 of our energy production. Something like 2/3s is from fossils fuels. Our worst technology, energy wise, is battery technology. Storing energy, we're terrible at it. Turns out the best form of energy storage we have to this date is pumping water uphill.

So we're taking something we're terrible at, instead of using gas we use coal and other fossile fuels. I don't think that overall we're really doing anything grand with electric vehicles. When we improve energy production and storage, then i think if will start to become more impressive and will have a chance to actually make a positive difference.

Back
Top Bottom