• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tesla unveils $35,000-Model 3 with range of 215 miles

Now they just need to get their cars down to the 15k - 20k range to be competitive. :)

no 35k is right in there with most mid size cars.
I know I would get one if I could afford it.

I don't see how they are going to get all the orders filled they are still back logged with model s and model x orders.

I could really use the model x I just can't afford it.

I think that the sales price is only part of the picture WRT cost to the consumer.

You don't have to buy gas for it, that's major savings over the useful life of the vehicle. You don't have to change it's oil, that pretty big deal too when you have to change 4-6 quarts of engine oil every 5K-8K miles, and also pay the mechanic to do it.

On the flip side, you will probably have to buy a new set of expensive batteries around the 5 year mark, at least so I understand.

At $35K and avoiding those expenses assuming a useful life of 10 years, the consumer may very well be out ahead once the up front costs are paid.

Over all, it's the weight that's probably killing the range. Make it out of all carbon fiber and probably lose a ton of weight, and gain that in rage and performance.

The battery costs just about as much as 10 years worth of gas, oil and maintenance. So it's still $15K more, no where near a competitive price.

The battery costs just about as much as 10 years worth of gas, oil and maintenance. So it's still $15K more, no where near a competitive price.

Well then. Then it's a non-starter, economically speaking.

And yet, I hear that there have been something like 130K of them ordered.

I think the US education system needs to focus more on economic literacy.

Finally. Chevy is coming out with the Chevy Bolt probably before this Tesla and has around the same price and mileage range as well.

Tesla unveils $35,000-Model 3 with range of 215 miles

Tesla Motors gave a sneak preview Thursday of its Model 3 sedan, saying more than 130,000 people had ordered the car, even though it is more than a year away from production.​

I'd say theres a good chance of this being my next car.

Tesla will eventually get a cheaper one - they have been pretty clear about their strategy - start with high end cars,then go to middle end, and then more affordable cars. The high end ones are great, and the styling is sharp. From what it sounds like, mechanical issues are basically nil, and battery replacement should get cheaper as the years go on.

Okay, the manufacturing of an ev is a bit higher, so tell me, do both gas and and ev cars just sit on a dealer lot.....or is there a lifetime carbon output to consider?

Isn't that the point, ultimately?

It has been many month since I heard the report, a full hour radio show. One, at this time most gad powered vehicles have a very small footprint, and with increasing regulations the output is lowering.

Taking into account my original post, then add the footprint of the replacement battery every three years, there is very little if any saving. At this time.

What bothers me is that it is fairly obvious the hybrid is a very effective vehicle in the transition to what will ultimately be all electric, but the focus is not on improving battery life, but in this case simply making this electric car more palatable to the consumer. 200 miles range is fine for a city dweller and running errands, but a true solution demands higher than that, much higher

That, and north American governments and corporation need to open their pockets for some decent research into battery life; the Conservatives here killed a local program and a similar one in Seattle hasn't gotten off the ground. We are graduating experts in this field and they can't find work

very little environmental impact? humans cannot co-exist wherever any nuclear waste is put for the rest of our history.

Nuclear waste comes in different grades. The vast majority of nuclear waste (94% by volume) is low level waste, which does not require shielding, and is suitable for shallow land burial. Only 0.1% of nuclear waste is high level, requiring large amounts of care and is long lasting.

It has been many month since I heard the report, a full hour radio show. One, at this time most gad powered vehicles have a very small footprint, and with increasing regulations the output is lowering.

Taking into account my original post, then add the footprint of the replacement battery every three years, there is very little if any saving. At this time.

What bothers me is that it is fairly obvious the hybrid is a very effective vehicle in the transition to what will ultimately be all electric, but the focus is not on improving battery life, but in this case simply making this electric car more palatable to the consumer. 200 miles range is fine for a city dweller and running errands, but a true solution demands higher than that, much higher

That, and north American governments and corporation need to open their pockets for some decent research into battery life; the Conservatives here killed a local program and a similar one in Seattle hasn't gotten off the ground. We are graduating experts in this field and they can't find work

A 200 mile range IS a true solution - 98%+ of car trips per day are under 200 miles, and many, many people (quite possibly the majority of cars) are never driven over 200 miles per day.

Yes, its not a totally complete solution, but tis pretty close.

A 200 mile range IS a true solution - 98%+ of car trips per day are under 200 miles, and many, many people (quite possibly the majority of cars) are never driven over 200 miles per day.

Yes, its not a totally complete solution, but tis pretty close.

This should be further mitigated as the number of charging centers increase, Tesla are looking to double the amount of superchargers and quadruple destination chargers.

The 200 mile limit is a limitation, and would probably prevent me from taking my Tesla on long road trips. However, it's not like it's the only car that has that issue. If I was going on a road trip I probably wouldn't take a 2 seater sports car either.

They do? Where are they hiding them? I've never seen one.

You're not looking.

I know of many in Chicago- and not just Tesla- most large parking garages have spaces for free car charging.

I do find it funny that someone posts a map, and your first question is 'where are they?'! [emoji13]

I wouldnt mind getting a car that uses weaponized plutonium or depleted uranium as fuel actually. :mrgreen:

That's the names bond in you.

Errr.... More like the gold finger in you. I like the thought of never having to fuel up again.

I'd say theres a good chance of this being my next car.

Tesla will eventually get a cheaper one - they have been pretty clear about their strategy - start with high end cars,then go to middle end, and then more affordable cars. The high end ones are great, and the styling is sharp. From what it sounds like, mechanical issues are basically nil, and battery replacement should get cheaper as the years go on.

What I think is great about Tesla is they are very forward thinking. I believe that they are set for any battery technology changes and being able to mount new tech into their cars when it comes out. The battery pack is mounted and easily dismountable form under the floor board.

Those are credits to the buyer. What about the billions in grants, loans, etc that go to Tesla?

Find them and bring them here. I think you'll find that a hard chore to do.

They do? Where are they hiding them? I've never seen one.

They are fairly new and sprouting up fast. That link has a map of them.

You're not looking.

I know of many in Chicago- and not just Tesla- most large parking garages have spaces for free car charging.

I do find it funny that someone posts a map, and your first question is 'where are they?'! [emoji13]
I don't give a ****, I've been all over the country and never EVER seen one. I'll believe my own eyes before I believe some silly map. They obviously aren't ubiquitous, like, oh I don't know, gas stations. :roll:

I don't give a ****, I've been all over the country and never EVER seen one. I'll believe my own eyes before I believe some silly map. They obviously aren't ubiquitous, like, oh I don't know, gas stations. :roll:

I don't understand why this is making you so angry.

They are fairly new and sprouting up fast. That link has a map of them.

Fair enough. What's "fairly new"?

I honestly don't understand the excitement over this, these cars are no more environmentally friendly than gasoline cars, and are quite possibly less so. Whats the point?

I don't understand why this is making you so angry.

Sorry bro, it may look like I'm angry, but I'm not. :) Written word doesn't always convey emotion that great. Along with the profanity filter. :D. For the record I used the "s" word, not the "f" :mrgreen:

I honestly don't understand the excitement over this, these cars are no more environmentally friendly than gasoline cars, and are quite possibly less so. Whats the point?

If environment friendly doesn't excite you, think energy independence. No more Arab oil so to speak.
I was reluctant at first as well, but just think about all the new innovations that didn't make sense at the time they were conceived. Now it is commonplace. Some of it may not really do us any favors, others do. In time, this stuff will become more affordable, and once all the kinks have been worked out, they will become much more user friendly.
I am excited about these innovations.

Fantastic...IF they built it AND sell it for the advertised price.

Tesla has made lots of promises before that they did not keep.

As for GM...this is the same company that built the EV-1 and then destroyed every one they could get their hands on when California chickened out on the zero emission law.

My guess is it will be way over $35G and/or the range will be no where near 200 miles.

But, at least they are talking about it...which hopefully bodes well for the future.

I remember last time you were rabidly anti-Tesla and now you're complaining about them before you even look into it. It already has been released, it already has been sold for 35k, and yes it does get 200+ miles on a charge.

You haters were telling us about how electric vehicles were so unviable and Tesla would never bring it down to the 35k range, yet here we are.

So instead of gass we're using coal....

We're actually using a conglomeration of many different sources. The important thing to note is that electric cars can accept ANY power source and not just fossil fuels as current cars. Many Tesla owners are using Solar City solar cells and Tesla wall batteries to power their car 100% off sunlight.

Then again, considering you already know this, it's odd and unnecessary for you to make such a comment.

That is 100% false. Being electric they can accept any power source, including wind and solar. Even if it was run purely on gas power, the generators at the power plant are dramatically more efficient than dozens of the individual gas engines running around the roads it replaces.

You can stomp your feet and tell us you don't like it, but you simply can't deny the FACT that it is tremendously more efficient in energy use and environmental impact. ZERO emissions.

Last edited:
You think? People that cannot pay more than $15.000 probably won't have the infrastructure at home to plug it in over night. That might even turn out to be limitation on the $ 35.000 crowd.

Just last weekend, we went somewhere on vacation and drove far more than 215 miles. There would have been no chance to plug in a car during that time. So what do people who routinely drive long distances do? Buy a real car, of course!

I wanted an electric car, so don't take this negatively.
I don't think the mileage listed is realistic.
It's going to be terrain and temperature based.

I almost bought a Nissan Leaf, but after seeing realistic reviews, the advertised mileage was more than real world.

Plus, I'm sure they're talking about 215 gross miles, which isn't what anyone does in the real world. The real world has stop and go traffic, not wide-open highways where you never have to stop.

A lot of these cars come with standard outlet plugs.

Sure, but what do people who live in apartments, who have to park in parking lots with no access to electrical outlets, do? I think it's bad enough with all the asshats who think they get to plug their phones in to other people's power any time they want, are these morons going to try to jack other people's power for their cars now too?

Plus, I'm sure they're talking about 215 gross miles, which isn't what anyone does in the real world. The real world has stop and go traffic, not wide-open highways where you never have to stop.

Electric cars don't idle.

Back
Top Bottom