• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tesla Station

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Now Tesla is designing charging stations where you charge for free but there is also an option to pay for an automated battery swap that changes your battery with a full charged one in about a minute and a half. Video of them changing two cars' batteries in less time than it took to fill a tank of gas on one car. Really cool. You just pull up onto a platform and stop. Just like if you were driving into a car wash.

If they get these set up and spread out like gas stations... buh bye gas. Because I think other manufacturers will start using Tesla standards so that their battery change will work on their cars.

Tesla launches battery-swapping service for two-minute recharging

All eyes have been on California-based electric car maker Tesla Motors in recent months, with the company having turned a profit last quarter and earning numerous awards for its Model S luxury sedan. And as promised, Tesla on Thursday night demonstrated an automated system capable of recharging the Model S in less than two minutes — equivalent to the time it takes to fuel up a gasoline-powered car.

And by “recharging,” we mean replacing.

As in, dropping a Model S’ depleted battery pack — which can weigh half a ton — out from the undercarriage of the vehicle and replacing it with a fully charged one. Think of it as pulling up to a filling station and instead of sticking a hose into the filler cap and refilling your empty tank, simply replacing the empty gas tank with one that’s full of gas. Only in this case, the gas station is a Tesla Station (a.k.a. a Tesla Supercharger station) and the “gas tank” weighs more than 1,000 pounds.​

Full vid at link but below is a vid from a someone in the audience at a good level to watch it happen.

Nice!

Elon Musk pushes forward! :D

Still a little pricey (but comparable to other cars in it's price range) and it's not really mass produced, yet. ;)

yet already profitable. I had read that they intended to work backwards in producing high end vehicles first then come down to more economical models later. hopefully not too much later. I think that if the recharging infrastructure is in place, an economically affordable model sales will soar.

I'll bet that half ton battery on the bottom of the vehicle gives it a nice, low center of gravity.

Fisker made a lot of sense. Tesla doesn't. Too bad it is Tesla is the one to survive.

Now Tesla is designing charging stations where you charge for free but there is also an option to pay for an automated battery swap that changes your battery with a full charged one in about a minute and a half. Video of them changing two cars' batteries in less time than it took to fill a tank of gas on one car. Really cool. You just pull up onto a platform and stop. Just like if you were driving into a car wash.

If they get these set up and spread out like gas stations... buh bye gas. Because I think other manufacturers will start using Tesla standards so that their battery change will work on their cars.

Tesla launches battery-swapping service for two-minute recharging

All eyes have been on California-based electric car maker Tesla Motors in recent months, with the company having turned a profit last quarter and earning numerous awards for its Model S luxury sedan. And as promised, Tesla on Thursday night demonstrated an automated system capable of recharging the Model S in less than two minutes — equivalent to the time it takes to fuel up a gasoline-powered car.

And by “recharging,” we mean replacing.

As in, dropping a Model S’ depleted battery pack — which can weigh half a ton — out from the undercarriage of the vehicle and replacing it with a fully charged one. Think of it as pulling up to a filling station and instead of sticking a hose into the filler cap and refilling your empty tank, simply replacing the empty gas tank with one that’s full of gas. Only in this case, the gas station is a Tesla Station (a.k.a. a Tesla Supercharger station) and the “gas tank” weighs more than 1,000 pounds.​

Full vid at link but below is a vid from a someone in the audience at a good level to watch it happen.

The battery swap concept will not work because the batteries have a limited lifespan. Would you allow the battery in your car to be regularly swapped out with someone else's unknown condition and age battery?

Does this means there will be no need to ever replace the batteries by the owners of these cars? Tesla may be able to charge say half the price of a gas fill up and still pay for the batteries long term.

Profitable....without government subsidies?

yet already profitable. I had read that they intended to work backwards in producing high end vehicles first then come down to more economical models later. hopefully not too much later. I think that if the recharging infrastructure is in place, an economically affordable model sales will soar.

It is the future. There are many obstacles but eventually, nothing else will make sense. Sooner or later there will be a functional battery management system and then the price of gas can go up and force the change. Stand by for much pissing and moaning.

I'll bet that half ton battery on the bottom of the vehicle gives it a nice, low center of gravity.
Center of gravity of a Corvette and a drag coefficient of 0.24, which is very, very low for any car. The drag coefficient is probably because of the flat undercarriage provided by the battery pack - and no grill to speak of.

15 min video of Car & Driver's Tesla S test drive ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCG-WqpVnI

Last edited:
The battery swap concept will not work because the batteries have a limited lifespan. Would you allow the battery in your car to be regularly swapped out with someone else's unknown condition and age battery?
Yes, because the next swap could end up being my battery or one even better. If you swap all the time what difference does it make? Bad battery packs will be refurbished or recycled so who cares?

Profitable....without government subsidies?
There were never any "government subsidies", just loans. Do you call student loans a "government subsidy"?

Tesla paid off it's government loans 2 years early and is posting a profit already.

Isn't this true:

Along with the federal loan, Tesla also relies on support from politicians through a complex series of federal and state subsidies. For each purchase of a new Tesla acquired for personal use, the federal government offers a $7,500 federal tax credit. In addition, various states offer additional income-tax credits, including $6,000 in Colorado and $7,500 in West Virginia. Tesla's Success Is the Result of Politics and Subsidies - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

There were never any "government subsidies", just loans. Do you call student loans a "government subsidy"?

Tesla paid off it's government loans 2 years early and is posting a profit already.

I think those rebates are for all electric cars, not just Tesla. I could be wrong of course.

But if I'm right, then yes, we need to get past fossil fuels. I mean just the word fossil alone tells you how old that technology is:)

Isn't this true:

Along with the federal loan, Tesla also relies on support from politicians through a complex series of federal and state subsidies. For each purchase of a new Tesla acquired for personal use, the federal government offers a $7,500 federal tax credit. In addition, various states offer additional income-tax credits, including $6,000 in Colorado and $7,500 in West Virginia. Tesla's Success Is the Result of Politics and Subsidies - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

Does this means there will be no need to ever replace the batteries by the owners of these cars? Tesla may be able to charge say half the price of a gas fill up and still pay for the batteries long term.

The cost of replacement batteries will have to be on the station, not the car owner. That will have to be factored into the cost for "filling up" in one way or another.

Isn't this true:

It's pure speculation that Tesla wouldn't be selling all the cars it can make without getting the same tax subsidies that all electric vehicles. Certainly the Roadster could have brought more money than they charged for it and I suspect the Model S would, too, if they wanted.

As for California, anyone making a no pollution vehicle of any type can get the same credit. California has a very long history of higher pollution control standards than the rest of the country and being the leading edge of most technologies in that direction starting in the 60's.

California began to reduce its air pollution in 1955. The Bureau of Air Sanitation set the state's first air quality standards which identified pollution levels that could endanger the health of some people. Recognizing cars and trucks as a major cause of smog problems, the state formed the Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Board in 1960 to regulate tailpipe emissions. By 1967, a year before emission controls were adopted for cars in the rest of the country, over 1.5 million California cars had been equipped with pollution control technology. In 1968, two years before Congress established the EPA, the two California air quality agencies were combined to create the Air Resources Board (ARB). Since then, in conjunction with county and regional air pollution control agencies, the ARB's program has evolved into one of the most comprehensive air quality efforts in the world.

Background and Regulatory Authority || California Air Resources Board

I think those rebates are for all electric cars, not just Tesla. I could be wrong of course.

But if I'm right, then yes, we need to get past fossil fuels. I mean just the word fossil alone tells you how old that technology is:)
You're not wrong. All electric vehicles get the same tax credit depending in the kW hours of storage. Most cars (not golf-cart style) qualify for the full $7500 credit.

Oh, so they are getting huge subsidies. Okay.

It's pure speculation that Tesla wouldn't be selling all the cars it can make without getting the same tax subsidies that all electric vehicles. Certainly the Roadster could have brought more money than they charged for it and I suspect the Model S would, too, if they wanted.

As for California, anyone making a no pollution vehicle of any type can get the same credit. California has a very long history of higher pollution control standards than the rest of the country and being the leading edge of most technologies in that direction starting in the 60's.

Background and Regulatory Authority || California Air Resources Board

So track the batteries. Derp.

What is your point? They all get tax c4edits. So what? This is how they get the changeover going. If you don't pay taxes, your credit is invalid. So people making money and paying taxes get a break for being early adopters.

Thats been done before on other energy issues. Thats actually where the USG does something useful instead of wasteful. Surely you don't object to progress that makes the future better.

"Huge"?!? LOL!

Should we look up what kind of tax breaks other corporations and industries get, too? Or are we just going to focus on this one area so your argument looks better? :lol:

No, we should look at the $7500 and possibly more subsidized by taxpayers that you call a profit.

"Huge"?!? LOL!

Should we look up what kind of tax breaks other corporations and industries get, too? Or are we just going to focus on this one area so your argument looks better? :lol:

Our government has wasted massive amounts of taxpayer money on trying to get these green companies going with p-poor results.

What is your point? They all get tax c4edits. So what? This is how
they get the changeover going. If you don't pay taxes, your credit is invalid. So people making money and paying taxes get a break for being early adopters.

Thats been done before on other energy issues. Thats actually where the USG does something useful instead of wasteful. Surely you don't object to progress that makes the future better.

Back
Top Bottom