• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tesla driver killed in crash while using car's 'Autopilot'

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The first U.S. fatality using self-driving technology took place in May when the driver of a Tesla S sports car operating the vehicle's "Autopilot" automated driving system died after a collision with a truck in Florida, federal officials said Thursday.

The government is investigating the design and performance of Tesla's system.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/self-driving-car-driver-died-205642937.html

New this would happen. Just a matter of time.

The company said this was the first known death in over 130 million miles of Autopilot operation.​

Probably a better record than not. Even still.... I'm not turning it over to auto pilot yet for myself.

I saw a video of a guy, taken from a person in an adjacent lane, who was in a Tesla going down an interstate highway in morning rush hour traffic - asleep.

Found it - - - -

The company said this was the first known death in over 130 million miles of Autopilot operation.​

Probably a better record than not. Even still.... I'm not turning it over to auto pilot yet for myself.

See, I know when I'm in a crash it's because I'm texting and drinking. But my autopilot? I don't know what that robot mother****er is up to.

See, I know when I'm in a crash it's because I'm texting and drinking. But my autopilot? I don't know what that robot mother****er is up to.

Exactly. It's hand and hand with me not liking flying. I know I'm more likely to die in a car crash but in a car at least I'm driving.

If I am reading this right, as of 2014 the US averages 1.08 fatalities per 100 million miles driven. Autopilot, which is in its infancy, is at 0.77 per 100 million. That bodes well, but psychologically I wouldn't trust it yet either. Certainly not enough to sleep or take my eyes off the road.

FARS Encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom