• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tesla’s Model 3 Electric Car Gets Requests for 180,000 Vehicles on First Day of Order

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Alot of companies have the technology, but it's Tesla (like Apple) that makes it fashionable, and perhaps, eventually the rule, instead of exception. Is the Tesla 3, the Ford Model A of this century?

Tesla's Model 3 Electric Car Gets Requests for 180,000 Vehicles on First Day of Ordering - WSJ
Vehicle is expected to get at least 215 miles of range from a single charge
By John D Stoll - April 1, 2016
+VIDEO
LOS ANGELES— Tesla Motors Co. secured about 180,000 reservations during the first day of ordering for the Model 3, with initial demand for an electric car that won’t go on sale for at least another year shattering expectations.

The tally was updated Friday in a tweet by Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk. Thursday, the Silicon Valley auto maker showed the car for the first time to a crowd of about 800, made up of Tesla owners, federal regulators and electric-vehicle enthusiasts, packed into a hangar near Los Angeles. One attendee waved a lightsaber, made popular by Star Wars, during a presentation.

More fans joined a launch event in Amsterdam staged during the early morning hours.

Sustained enthusiasm for Tesla’s business model, reinforced by a recent rebound in the company’s stock price, comes even as gasoline prices remain around $2 per gallon in the U.S. Most auto makers have seen cheap fuel prices boost demand for SUVs and pickup trucks, which consume more gasoline.

Shares of Tesla rose 1.9% to $234.16 in midday trading Friday in New York. Earlier in the session, the stock traded as high as $247.90.

In a speech Thursday, Chief Executive Elon Musk referred to the smaller electric car as the capstone of a “secret master plan” that was crafted years ago to popularize electric cars. During a test drive for attendees, Tesla Vice President Doug Field said the Model 3 is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make attractive electric vehicles more widely available.
[......]
BN-NI877_0331te_M_20160401003111.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Tesla’s Model 3 Electric Car Gets Requests for 180,000 Vehicles on First Day of O

i like what Tesla is doing. we seriously need to upgrade our grid, though, and i would support doing a significant part of that publicly. as for the car itself, i haven't had the time to watch any videos of it yet. might do that tonight.

Re: Tesla’s Model 3 Electric Car Gets Requests for 180,000 Vehicles on First Day of O

Without reading the article what's the price tag?

Alot of companies have the technology, but it's Tesla (like Apple) that makes it fashionable, and perhaps, eventually the rule, instead of exception. Is the Tesla 3, the Ford Model A of this century?

Tesla's Model 3 Electric Car Gets Requests for 180,000 Vehicles on First Day of Ordering - WSJ
Vehicle is expected to get at least 215 miles of range from a single charge
By John D Stoll - April 1, 2016
+VIDEO

I'm in the market for a new car. This looks very attractive, but I live in an apartment. There does not seem to be a clear way to go about charging the Tesla when you live in an apartment that does not have a charging station, and my apartment is the second floor of someone's house. To make matters worse, I have street parking too. So this is just a no go at this stage in my life, but in a few years who knows???

Without reading the article what's the price tag?

35,000$, less with incentives.

I'm in the market for a new car. This looks very attractive, but I live in an apartment. There does not seem to be a clear way to go about charging the Tesla when you live in an apartment that does not have a charging station, and my apartment is the second floor of someone's house. To make matters worse, I have street parking too. So this is just a no go at this stage in my life, but in a few years who knows???

Well if you live in an apartment and your parking is in an underground garage there are probably outlets that you can use. Newer condos may even have chargers for you to use.

Though there is nothing you can do about on-street parking.

Less than a Mercedes diesel. Not bad.

Tesla has made promises before.

Over 7 years ago they promised a $50,000 car that they have yet to build.

Tesla rolls out new sedan - CNN.com

They have (apparently) yet to show a profit and seem to be surviving on taxpayer money.

Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies - LA Times

When the car is actually built and sold (it won't be available until late 2017 apparently) for 35K (before gov't. incentives)...then I will believe it.

I hope they can do it (as I love the concept of a cheap EV) but I smell an attempt to ramp up the stock price to secure more financing.

Last edited:

They have (apparently) yet to show a profit and seem to be surviving on taxpayer money.

Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies - LA Times

When the car is actually built and sold (it won't be available until late 2017 apparently) for 35K (before gov't. incentives)...then I will believe it.

I hope they can do it (as I love the concept of a cheap EV) but I smell an attempt to ramp up the stock price to secure more financing.
Despite the fact it's my OP, I think you make a very good point.
I'm skeptical he can break the 50K barrier this time as well.
We'll see soon enough.

Well if you live in an apartment and your parking is in an underground garage there are probably outlets that you can use. Newer condos may even have chargers for you to use.

No Chargers/outlets on the street.

There may be nothing you can do about charging, I believe there's 400,000,000 registered vehicles in North America (US+Canada) alone, without substantial improvements to the grid I don't see widespread adoption of technology, and we've reached a phase where environmentalists (ironically) will keep the cars from being economical.

Easier solution is to improve hybrid vehicles. I would love to see a hybrid pickup truck of similar size to the ford ranger I already drive.

I am too timid to get into a business model that requires one of two things to happen...1) apocalyptic fuel pricing/availability and 2) 20+ years of government subsidies.

This Musk guy is brave, you got to give him that.

A bit more skepticism:

Tesla Model 3: Offering A Dollar For 50 Cents | Seeking Alpha
Apr. 1, 2016
Anton Wahlman

Summary

*Model 3 promises to deliver seemingly close to 99% of the Model S, but at half the price.

*So why would anyone want to order a Model S now, unless they “need” a Tesla before the end of 2017?

*More fundamentally, why would Tesla be able to deliver all of this content at a lower price than equivalent 2017 EVs from other automakers?

*If Tesla loses almost $20,000 per car today, why wouldn’t those losses balloon if the price is cut in half for almost the same content?

*Is there any surprise that there is hot demand for a product that essentially offers to sell a dollar for fifty cents? Who will fund these losses?​

The Tesla Model 3 unveil turned out to look pretty much just as anticipated: A slightly shrunken Model S that's optimized more for cost. It promises to do close to 99% of what you get in the current Model S, utility-wise, but for half the price - $35,000 instead of $70,000.

With the Model 3 still fitting five people and a healthy amount of luggage, as well as maintaining essentially the Model S design language with a Model X nose, what's the argument for buying a Model S anymore? Clearly if you need the car before 2017, maybe you would consider one.

But otherwise?

The Model 3 will be easier to park, surely lighter and probably have better build quality than the first-generation Model S. You would have to spring for the more expensive versions of the Model S with the highest performance to have a motivation to buy a Model S anymore. And those Model S versions are closer to $130,000.

Oh yeah, one more thing: The Model 3 will have "only" 215 or slightly more miles of range on the US EPA cycle, a bit less than the Model S. That should put it in direct head-to-head competition with the Chevrolet Bolt and perhaps also the Nissan LEAF 2.0.

To be clear, the Chevrolet Bolt will have a 60 kWh battery and enter volume production by the fourth quarter of this year. We know very little about the Nissan LEAF 2.0, except that most speculation suggests it will also have similar specs but arrive six months after the Chevy Bolt.
[.....]
Think about that logic for a moment: GM says the Bolt will cost no more than $37,500 (base price). Tesla says the Model 3 will cost $35,000 (base price). But if the Bolt inherently costs less to produce, how do you square this circle?

There are only three possibilities:

1. The Bolt price will end up being much lower than $35,000. That's possible, but is it likely?

2. Tesla will lose a ton of money at $35,000.

3. GM will make a lot of money selling the Bolt at anywhere near $35,000.​
[.....]
But I think he's ignoring the fact people may/do pay more for a 'Tesla' just like do for Apple.
And it seems likely Tesla is the one that will make the Tech popular/viable.

And I think a 'grid' of plug-in stations is fairly easy to build, and build quickly.
NYC has built a huge 'Citi-bike' grid in just a few years. Hundreds.
https://member.citibikenyc.com/map/

Last edited:

Electric vehicles definitely suffer from a bit of a chicken/egg problem regarding charging. Cities and businesses are reluctant to spend money on support infrastructure while the fleet is so small, and consumers are reluctant to buy the vehicles while the infrastructure is so scarce.

Large-scale implementation also requires a substantial investment in upgrading the country's electrical power generation. But that's something we should be doing anyway for a lot of reasons.

I would love to get such a vehicle, it would fit my driving profile very nicely. My main concern is the vehicle's performance at low temperatures. 200 mile range is fine for what I do, and I could keep the Civic around for longer trips when needed... but does the vehicle still get 200 mile range in Minnesota in February?

Electric vehicles definitely suffer from a bit of a chicken/egg problem regarding charging. Cities and businesses are reluctant to spend money on support infrastructure while the fleet is so small, and consumers are reluctant to buy the vehicles while the infrastructure is so scarce.

Large-scale implementation also requires a substantial investment in upgrading the country's electrical power generation. But that's something we should be doing anyway for a lot of reasons.

I would love to get such a vehicle, it would fit my driving profile very nicely. My main concern is the vehicle's performance at low temperatures. 200 mile range is fine for what I do, and I could keep the Civic around for longer trips when needed... but does the vehicle still get 200 mile range in Minnesota in February?

If it's a typical EV it's range will be cut in half in extreme cold. Do you need to drive more than 100 miles a day?

If it's a typical EV it's range will be cut in half in extreme cold. Do you need to drive more than 100 miles a day?

I've seen stories from people driving the Leaf in California where they don't even get half the expected range. Gonna wait a while and make sure it all works out ok.

I had read 40k (starting price) and about 35k after incentives. I guess we shall see.

35K is a lot of money for what is essentially an economy car.

I'll stick with my civics, for the time being. I guess it's up to the more well off in this country to be the beta testers for this stuff, lol.

35K is a lot of money for what is essentially an economy car.

I'll stick with my civics, for the time being. I guess it's up to the more well off in this country to be the beta testers for this stuff, lol.

Well Tesla is not exactly a consumer car company, as they do not have economies of scale. They are a luxury car company first and foremost right now, you buy a Tesla to say I can afford an expensive prototype car.

one thing that could help is the charging is free at the supercharger stations,
but you would have to be near one.
https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

The range on most tesla's are about 220 miles per charge.
they have a coast to coast charging station system setup.

I actually think they did drive one from coast to coast.

the down side is that it takes 45 minutes to get a 75% charge and then it takes another hour I think for the remaining 25%

Well Tesla is not exactly a consumer car company, as they do not have economies of scale. They are a luxury car company first and foremost right now, you buy a Tesla to say I can afford an expensive prototype car.

the model 3 is supposed to be there mass production car. right now they are over 250k reservations.
they aren't even up to production 50k cars a year. their gigafactory won't be online till like 2020.

I think musk is selling the cart before the horse.

also the price is about 42k before incentives.
there is a 7,500 government incentive for car companies that have sold under like 200k cars.

tesla is getting close to that mark and once it does the federal incentive goes away.
you still might get a state incentive but you would have to check your state.

the model 3 is supposed to be there mass production car. right now they are over 250k reservations.
they aren't even up to production 50k cars a year. their gigafactory won't be online till like 2020.

I think musk is selling the cart before the horse.

also the price is about 42k before incentives.
there is a 7,500 government incentive for car companies that have sold under like 200k cars.

tesla is getting close to that mark and once it does the federal incentive goes away.
you still might get a state incentive but you would have to check your state.

Exactly, they are luxury car company until they can cheaply mass produce cars. They have people buying their expensive prototype cars because they can, they are status symbols right now.

Exactly, they are luxury car company until they can cheaply mass produce cars. They have people buying their expensive prototype cars because they can, they are status symbols right now.

42k is about mid-high end sedan anymore.
although you could probably buy a lower end Mercedes or bmw for that price and drive off the lot with it that day.

Note...Tesla has NEVER made a profit. And they would not exist without massive, low interest, government loans.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-feels-good-as-tesla-set-to-see-first-profits

And apparently they are over $2.9 billion dollars in debt and they burned through $700 million of their cash reserves so they now have $1.2 billion left.

This S model better work, at the advertised price and start production when they said it would.

Personally, I am very impressed with their products, but not with their company.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom