• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Terrorism case baffles remote Alaska town

Crosscheck

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The FBI says the weatherman in tiny King Salmon, aided by his wife, had an assassination list and was an adherent of Islamic extremism. The couple told neighbors they were Muslim but, other than avoiding pork, never made an issue of their religion. Paul had a beard, but the couple never prayed publicly. Nadia performed Christian and secular songs with the choir in performances at the local chapel; her husband attended with his video camera.

Loukas Barton, a National Park Service archeologist who lived next door, said the couple's seeming reticence about discussing their religion may have been because they were, so far as anyone here can remember, the only Muslims who have ever lived in King Salmon.

This week, Paul and Nadia Rockwood pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Anchorage to one count of willfully making false statements to the FBI; in Paul Rockwood's case, it was a statement about domestic terrorism.

The plea agreements state that Rockwood, 35, had become an adherent of extremist Islam who had prepared a list of assassination targets, including U.S. service members. And, though no plot to carry out the killings was revealed, he had researched methods of execution, including guns and explosives, the agreements say.

I know every Christian is not a Rev Phelps and every Muslim is not secretly plotting to bomb anything American. But this just bugs me.
The question is will Muslim groups come out in anger of these two like many Christians are angered by Phelps and his inbred band of scum.

Alaska terrorism: Terrorism case shocks remote Alaska town - latimes.com
HTML:

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this.

They had an "assassination list". What, a list that was actually marked "These are the people we want to assassinate"? Or maybe it said "Death List Five" at the top? Or they had a list of people and assumptions were made as to purpose?

They had researched guns and explosives? Millions of people do that.

The ONLY thing they were found guilty of lying to the Feds? ... to be honest I'm not even sure that should be a crime. It seems to be abused too much, as in "we can't get this clod for anything else, but he said something that wasn't correct at one point in our six-hour interrogation, so we'll get him for lying!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stopping terrorists before they get started good, but sometimes I wonder if we get carried away at times. I'd have to know a lot more details before I could form a solid position on this particular case; yes it sounds bad offhand, but the devil is in the details you know.

Last edited:
It is a tough one to judge. But if I happened to run across a list you kept in your house to assassinate US servicemen how do I react? It is just something almost sacreligious.

One can argue whether or not one has the right to burn the flag but just thinking about killing US servicemen just isn't even allowed to in my section of the country.
You don't even jokingly say it.

Back
Top Bottom