• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Terminology 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said " up to and including " armed resistance but because you don't do nuance it flew past you like the context of this thread has flown past you

Painful to watch

Just accept that you are wrong as shown previously

Wow, just watch the goalposts move....

Their actions (STONE THROWER) are neither illegal nor directed against a civilian target so you fail twice regardless of your wish to demonize kids that are living under a repressive foreign occupation

All Palestinians have the right to resist Israeli occupation up to and including armed resistance. So their actions are not illegal. You failed because your definition states " unlawful use " of violence

There is no universally accepted definition of terrorism but , despite you googling and adopting the first one you found , the mainstay of them more than any other is the targeting of civilians.

Seeing as you ignored the fact that it was occupying forces being targeted and NOT civilians you failed a second time

See you don't know what you are talking about , obviously

Nuance in your head must mean "Watch while I twist and turn"....

Stone throwing is a violent act. If you are doing so to effect political change it fits.

Stone throwers ARE armed.

You try to defend it as some sort of resistance to occupiers who aren't occupying Gaza....

Is that a threat? While my experience in Israel and the Palestinian territories proved to me that they are peaceful, obviously you are supporting not only a false narrative but also violence. What does "pull the plug" mean? A bomb? A terror attack? Please explain.

He is baiting you into stating he supports terrorism which in turn may get you banned from the forum....

Anyone who believes it is against the law to assault a soldier of an occupying army deserves to be laughed right out of the country themselves and kicked up the backside every step until the border is reached

You are wrong

You were wrong about the alleged illegality and you were wrong about the targeting of soldiers being terrorism

Wrong as wrong as one can be

Even if you did provide one of the funniest comments I have read in my 4 years here, albeit unintentionally

Occupying what? Gaza?

Who is occupying Gaza?

And I notice you don't dare respond to the rest of the post.

He is baiting you into stating he supports terrorism which in turn may get you banned from the forum....

While I like this forum, there are plenty of them on the Internet these days. If one bans me for speaking out against terrorists or antisemitics, then so be it.

The fact remains he supports Palestinian aggression against the Israelis. It was in his OP:
Keeping with the theme as outlined in the " Terror Tunnels ? " thread we perhaps need to go a little deeper to see how perceptions are shaped by the use of the terminology

With regards to the " terror tunnels " into Israeli from Gaza it came about that a poster made the point that , even if they had not been used for ant terror attacks , their existence and the effect it had on Israeli civilians living near the border was enough to justify the term. I think that's what they meant to infer anyhow. No matter let's take it as a reasonable point

The tunnels engender fear in the Israeli border communities and as such the term " terror tunnel " is valid. Okay so let's leave that as the statement to work from

Moving on let's have the same thing applied to the Palestinian people , in an attempt at objective analysis. Wishing to apply the same standards to both parties

So what acts and/or actions do the Israeli side carry out that will engender fear in the Palestinian population under siege and/or occupation ? And if we identify them properly should we label the in the same way ? To me , if you seek to be objective there can only be one answer to that question ,

I would say the reality of the military occupation and/or siege the Palestinians live under would be sure to engender understandable fears amongst the Palestinians. So that should be included

The targeted assassination programme is sure to be included too. Living with drones buzzing overhead , not knowing if the car that passing you in the street is the intended target for a missile strike that may well kill you in the process

The frequent wide scale military attacks in which , every time , masses of innocents people are always killed would also make that list without any issue or controversy

The Gazan buffer zone too would see Palestinians justifiably scared of being shot for entering it to farm it or scavenge from it

The policy of administrative detention which sees people arrested , often at night , and taken away without charge or trial is sure to make it too

What about the presence of illegal Israeli settlers and the violence they engage in ?

If the list above is capable of engendering fears into Palestinian people , which is surely the case , then why aren't we wondering why they are not given the same treatment when it comes the terminology being used ?

Are Palestinian fears less important than Israeli fears ? They shouldn't be

At this point , or earlier , you might be wondering why is this a big deal ?

Well, to me if you class all actions by the Palestinians as terrorism and or seek to tack it on to this type of subject then the demonization taking place of the Palestinians is highly dangerous as we have seen before when a people are being dehumanized . It can see people grant themselves and get support for things , crimes and atrocities , that would never be allowed without it

In a recent thread a poster here circumvented their own definition of terrorism so as to label the children throwing stones as "terrorists" engaged in terrorism. You won't need me to tell you how chilling a precedent that sets

To conclude , should we be demanding that parity be the way to view the conflict and if we are okay with the tunnels being " terror tunnels " we should also be okay with the same labels being applied to Israeli actions that engender fear into Palestinians ?

A list for this purpose might look like the following

The Israeli terror administrative detention programme

The terror wars against Gaza

The Israeli terror siege of Gaza

The Israeli terror occupation of the Palestinians

The Israeli terror targeted assassination programme

The terror Israeli buffer zone

The terror illegal settlers in the West Bank

If you find the above ridiculous then you should maybe recall the context of the tag being used to describe something that instils fears in the people on the other side. If you still think it ridiculous then maybe you should ask yourself why you so readily accept it when it is applied only to Palestinian activities and/or your own claim to " objectivity "

Moderator's Warning:
Lots of problems in this thread with lots of ML violations. I am temporarily closing the thread while the Mod Team assesses things. Violations will be issued and we will then decide whether or not the thread should be re-opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom