• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tens of thousands of voters drop Republican affiliation after Capitol riot (1/27/21

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

More than 30,000 voters who had been registered members of the Republican Party have changed their voter registration in the weeks after a mob of pro-Trump supporters attacked the Capitol — an issue that led the House to impeach the former president for inciting the violence.

The massive wave of defections is a virtually unprecedented exodus that could spell trouble for a party that is trying to find its way after losing the presidential race and the Senate majority.
==============================================================
Glad these people are finally coming to their senses. No one wants to be a member of the new Whig party.

More than 30,000 voters who had been registered members of the Republican Party have changed their voter registration in the weeks after a mob of pro-Trump supporters attacked the Capitol — an issue that led the House to impeach the former president for inciting the violence.

The massive wave of defections is a virtually unprecedented exodus that could spell trouble for a party that is trying to find its way after losing the presidential race and the Senate majority.
Glad these people are finally coming to their senses. No one wants to be a member of the new Whig party.

I wonder if the Repubs in here still want to talk about the "walk away" phenomenon.

I wonder if the Repubs in here still want to talk about the "walk away" phenomenon.

If they are waiting for the autocrat-wannabe Trump, he did express pleasure when he heard that Putin & Xi had made themselves presidentsfor life. A chilling thought.

I don’t think the article can defend 30,000 switches being considered unprecedented, without describing turnover in other election years?

Oh my the republican party is doomed........ there would be many more leaving but in many states to vote in a
primary you need to be in one of the 2 main parties.

From the story:
McDonald cautioned that the number of voters switching parties overall was relatively small — the 10,000 Republicans who fled in Pennsylvania represents a tiny fraction of the party’s almost 3.5 million registered voters in the state, for example.

In my view, any political party that is willing to ignore the gravity of the insurrection, which was aimed at toppling both a free election and the Constitutional framework at the heart of rule of law in the United States, has rendered itself illegitimate and unworthy of support. It is very likely that the Republican Party will put Donald Trump ahead of the U.S. Constitution when it comes time to vote on whether to convict President Trump in the Senate. Registered voters should not ignore this consequential and destructive choice.

It is good news that at least some people, the honest and decent ones, finally realize that the Repub party is indeed a “big tent”—of conspiracy theorists, haters, liars, nutcases, traitors, wackos, the uneducated and gullible, racists and bigots, and the party of tax cuts for the wealthy and bones for everyone else. That is proven every single day of the year right here in DP,

Only 30,000? The Republican Party should have 30,000 or less remaining registrants, taking into consideration the things that might delay affiliation changes.

If they are waiting for the autocrat-wannabe Trump, he did express pleasure when he heard that Putin & Xi had made themselves presidentsfor life. A chilling thought.
I am thinking HE would have liked to be able to do the same thing
He was already acting like a dictator or a KING
YES I think Trump wanted to have the power of being a KING
Have a nice evening

Back
Top Bottom