• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Tennessee woman awarded Silver Star

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
I think this is great! Nice story. :)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A 23-year-old sergeant with the Kentucky National Guard has become the first female soldier to receive the Silver Star -- the nation's third-highest medal for valor -- since World War II. Click For Full Story
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That's sweet.
Other's get life for participating in murder.
And she can always sell it when she leaves the military and gets thrown on the unemployment scrapheap of US capitalism.
And after Tennessee, Iraq must have given her a taste of sophistication.
 

Naughty Nurse

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Urethra Franklin said:
That's sweet.
Other's get life for participating in murder.
And she can always sell it when she leaves the military and gets thrown on the unemployment scrapheap of US capitalism.
And after Tennessee, Iraq must have given her a taste of sophistication.
You're being foolish now, Urethra.

When you get sent to kill people so that your president can get re-elected it's not called murder.
 

akyron

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
10,352
Reaction score
2,436
Location
Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Other
Urethra Franklin said:
That's sweet.
Other's get life for participating in murder.
And she can always sell it when she leaves the military and gets thrown on the unemployment scrapheap of US capitalism.
And after Tennessee, Iraq must have given her a taste of sophistication.
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2005/03/after_action_re.html

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/IraqCoverage/story?id=604907&page=1



10 military police were driving along with a convoy (3 killed 6 wounded)when it was attacked by nearly 50 insurgents.

3 US soldiers were wounded in the initial ambush and the other 7 defeated over 5 times their number.

The three wounded MPs have been evacuated to Landstuhl. One lost a kidney and will be paralyzed. The other two will most likely recover, though one will forever have a bullet lodged between second and third ribs below his heart. No word on the three COSCOM soldiers wounded in the initial volleys. Of the 7 members of Raven 42 who walked away, two are Caucasian Women, the rest men-one is Mexican-American, the medic is African-American, and the other two are Caucasian-the great American melting pot.



You have no idea of what you speak.
You can take a break you know.
Your butt must be sore from riding that hate wagon by now.
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
Urethra Franklin said:
That's sweet.
Other's get life for participating in murder.
And she can always sell it when she leaves the military and gets thrown on the unemployment scrapheap of US capitalism.
And after Tennessee, Iraq must have given her a taste of sophistication.
Naughty Nurse is right. Murder is unlawful. Killing an enemy isn't. ;)
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
akyron said:
The three wounded MPs have been evacuated to Landstuhl. One lost a kidney and will be paralyzed. The other two will most likely recover, though one will forever have a bullet lodged between second and third ribs below his heart. No word on the three COSCOM soldiers wounded in the initial volleys.
.
I hope Mr. Bush is proud of what he's inflicted on his own people.
akyron said:
Of the 7 members of Raven 42 who walked away, two are Caucasian Women, the rest men-one is Mexican-American, the medic is African-American, and the other two are Caucasian-the great American melting pot. .
Mmm, would that be that melting pot where a lot of you actually live in white only/black only communities? Would that be that melting pot that has the distiction of being the only country out of many visited, where I ever got any hassle for being on the arm of a black man?


akyron said:
Your butt must be sore from riding that hate wagon by now.
I hate that innocent youngsters get sent out in the name of nations to kill other innocent youngsters, on the strangth of a lie for the profit of a priveliged few.
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Glanecia said:
Naughty Nurse is right. Murder is unlawful. Killing an enemy isn't. ;)
Dear heart, Naughty Nurse is being ironic - over the heads of most United Statesians :roll:
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
"Heart?" That's different--but cute!

Irony doesn't change the fact that she's right. :)
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Glanecia said:
"Heart?" That's different--but cute!

Irony doesn't change the fact that she's right. :)
Nor the fact that "she" is a man.

You wouldn't be gender stereotyping by any chance would you?
 

akyron

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
10,352
Reaction score
2,436
Location
Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Other
Urethra Franklin said:
I hope Mr. Bush is proud of what he's inflicted on his own people..
If the 50 insurgents were wearing 50 halloween masks of the President that might have made sense.



Urethra Franklin said:
Mmm, would that be that melting pot where a lot of you actually live in white only/black only communities? Would that be that melting pot that has the distiction of being the only country out of many visited, where I ever got any hassle for being on the arm of a black man?..
It is also a fondue restaurant in Indianapolis but whats your point? Everyone has problems.





Urethra Franklin said:
I hate that innocent youngsters get sent out in the name of nations to kill other innocent youngsters, on the strangth of a lie for the profit of a priveliged few.

Actually they were driving along in a supply convoy and were attacked by people looking for more hostages to behead over the internet.

Must have been a real kick in the pants for the Islamic militants to get defeated by a couple of well trained girls and their buddies.
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
Urethra Franklin said:
Nor the fact that "she" is a man.

You wouldn't be gender stereotyping by any chance would you?
Yes, that must be it. I'm gender stereotpying. If it's a good point--a female made it! Females are so much better than men, you know--but only American Females. :lol:

Ask a stupid question....get a stupid answer....*wink*


Must have been a real kick in the pants for the Islamic militants to get defeated by a couple of well trained girls and their buddies.
Hell ya! :2razz:
 
Last edited:

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
akyron said:
It is also a fondue restaurant in Indianapolis but whats your point? Everyone has problems.



.
My point is that your melting pot doesn't melt that easily in my view
Everyone has problems, but I'm a white woman with an African guy who only ever had problems about it when visiting the USA. I have US friends who tell me, and I've seen it for myself, that they live in white neighbourhoods where people call the police if they see a black guy. I've been told not to go to certain neighbourhoods in the US because "over there's for the blacks and over there it's hispanic." I've never come across such segregation in Europe and I believe our cities are more mixed. That's my point. Now of course somebody's going to come out and say in their US city everybody lives in rainbow harmony, but I saw more race awareness and direct racism in the US than I've ever seen anywhere.



akyron said:
Actually they were driving along in a supply convoy and were attacked by people looking for more hostages to behead over the internet.

Must have been a real kick in the pants for the Islamic militants to get defeated by a couple of well trained girls and their buddies.

We see things differently. Had they not been there in the first place they wouldn't have been targets. I don't deny their courage, but I do believe they're in Iraq for the wrong reasons, fighting a war which obviously hasn't ended, for a president who lied and has his troops in Iraq for political and economic gain - not for any belief in liberating the Iraqis.
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
Even if Bush's agenda was merely one of "political and economic gain", I'd support the War on Terrorism. More power to him. :2razz:

"Liberating the Iraqis"? I'm betting that will happen with or without his "political and economic gain". After all, America cares. :lol:
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
Urethra Franklin said:
Ask a stupid person....get a stupid answer....*wink*
Argumentum ad hominem is a sign of weakness, you know.

I do agree with you on this: There are spots in the USA that are totally white-pride and/or racist. If you go down south you'll find the KKK. If you go up north, you'll find that people are generally more open-minded. That's the USA for you--very diverse.
 
Last edited:

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Glanecia said:
Even if Bush's agenda was merely one of "political and economic gain", I'd support the War on Terrorism. More power to him. :2razz:

"Liberating the Iraqis"? I'm betting that will happen with or without his "political and economic gain". After all, America cares. :lol:
So why aren't you in Uzbekistan? Oil interest.
Saudi Arabia? Oil interest.
Zimbabwe? Nothing to gain economically.

"America" (by which I'm sure you mean the United States) cares about it's own profit.
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
I edited my last post --you may want to read it. :2razz:

Would that be why you started with your "stupid question" quip?
I questioned the quality of your question. That's not argumentum ad hominem. Argumentum ad hominem would require that I ignore the question and rant about you instead.

Why would I want to talk about you? What you've got to say is so much more interesting.

So why aren't you in Uzbekistan? Oil interest.
Saudi Arabia? Oil interest.
Zimbabwe? Nothing to gain economically.

"America" (by which I'm sure you mean the United States) cares about it's own profit.
Remember, I used the word if. I couldn't and wouldn't pretend to know the mind of President Bush.

Hmm. Yes, America does care about its own profit. Thank the gods. :cool: Of course, America is made up of more than just profit-loving politicians. We've got our humanitarians too.
 
Last edited:

Naughty Nurse

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
"America-Cares Bear" - shoting the crap out of innocent foreigners - but in a cuddly kind of way? Puh-leeze! And you're a teacher?
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
Naughty Nurse said:
"America-Cares Bear" - shoting the crap out of innocent foreigners - but in a cuddly kind of way? Puh-leeze! And you're a teacher?
Yes, I'm a teacher. Of course, you must realize that a teacher wouldn't use the words "Let's go shoot the crap out of innocent foreigners". Rather, an American school teacher would generally be encouraged to teach their students how to think critically. Students will then develop their own educated opinions about the War on Terror.

Of course, I'm sure that the average American student's opinions are heavily influenced by what they learn in school and what they hear in the media. They will have learned the Pledge of Allegiance by age six; the words and music to our traditional patriotic songs by age twelve; US History by their teenage years; the list goes on and on! Not to mention, that pop-stars are rocking out with new patriotic songs every other month now. It's no wonder that many kids would support the War on Terror, eh?

I say 'most kids' from what I know, personally. This last year, I had the pleasure of watching a fourth grade class conduct a political debate. The majority of the class voted for President Bush over Kerry because they wanted 'national security'.

My own childhood education was just the same. Not to mention, that my choir teacher had major pride for our country. Every year we put on a Veterans Day Show, to honor those who had fought and died for our country. We visited a hospital for Vets --boy, talk about a major impact on your life. We toured Hawaii too --performed at the Pearl Harbor Memorial Site, on Memorial Day.

I also had the opportunity to represent my high school as a delegate for the National Young Leaders Conference in WA DC.

Okay, now I'm rambling --hehe--good memories though, I had to share. :)
 
Last edited:

Naughty Nurse

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
All sound sadly like indoctrination to me.
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
Naughty Nurse said:
All sound sadly like indoctrination to me.
I just added more ramblings in my last post.

Indoctrination? Nope.

Indoctrination = telling one how they should think

Education = teaching one how to think
 

Naughty Nurse

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Glanecia said:
I just added more ramblings in my last post.

Indoctrination? Nope.

Indoctrination = telling one how they should think

Education = teaching one how to think
They will have learned the Pledge of Allegiance by the age of 6, according to yourself. That is "teaching" children parrot fashion in the hiope that it will become deeply imbedded befor they are old enough to understand it. Have you read Brave New World?
 

Glanecia

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
WA State
Naughty Nurse said:
They will have learned the Pledge of Allegiance by the age of 6, according to yourself. That is "teaching" children parrot fashion in the hiope that it will become deeply imbedded befor they are old enough to understand it. Have you read Brave New World?
No, I have not read Brave New World. I'd like to hear more about it. :)

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.


I see nothing wrong with that, other than the "God" aspect. *giggle*

Though I have learned the pledge word for word, I have also learned what it means -word for word.

Children learn about the symbolism, its historical evolution and most importantly -they learn that they have the right to refuse the pledge due to religious beliefs.

Some Lesson Plans: http://www.educationworld.com/searc...=1&queryText=pledge of allegiance&queryMode=0

My classmate, Troy, never said the pledge due to his beliefs as a Jehovah’s Witness.

My Point? This is hardly indoctrination.
 
Last edited:

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Glanecia said:
No, I have not read Brave New World. I'd like to hear more about it. :)

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.


I see nothing wrong with that, other than the "God" aspect. *giggle*

Though I have learned the pledge word for word, I have also learned what it means -word for word.

Children learn about the symbolism, its historical evolution and most importantly -they learn that they have the right to refuse the pledge due to religious beliefs.

Some Lesson Plans: http://www.educationworld.com/searc...=1&queryText=pledge of allegiance&queryMode=0

My classmate, Troy, never said the pledge due to his beliefs as a Jehovah’s Witness.

My Point? This is hardly indoctrination.
Girlfriend were you born the natural way or did Mommy Washington manufacture you out of sugar candy and molasses?
 
Top Bottom