• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tennessee to roll out “No Refusal” blood-draw DUI checkpoints for Labor Day

Seems about right. DUI is used as first level desensitizer to illegal power grabs by the government because so many people are so emotional about the subject that they excuse any growth of government power. Once established, they'll just expand upon it. This is what happens when emotionally stupid rules the roost.

DUI is pretty much the only crime where they can start giving out punishments before you even get a trial.

We vacationed in the "Conch Republic" (Key West, Florida), which "seceded" from the USA over drug and immigration checkpoints - claiming if the government is setting up checkpoints as if a border crossing, then they must be a different country anyway. The city council has "declared war" on the USA in the past, "attacked" an old historic fort on one of the islands, and otherwise gets pissy over feds messing with them.

What needs to be done in addition to suggestions above, is a mass international campaign, plus every possible manner of lawsuit. Does the law actually say people can be strapped down forcibly and put in a head lock? There are people who do not heal well from blood drawn. Does a nurse have medical authority to do so without a licensed doctor specifically authorizing it? What happens to the blood sample? How does a person not know they are being infected from improper procedure?

Part of the problem with our justice system is that everyone in the employ of the state seems to think they are playing on the same time. Prosecutors, Judges, and Police Officers all have separate duties to perform and should not be unduly collaborating together. It is not the job of the Judge to 'help out' the police by churning out warrants on demand or for police to give Prosecutors a leg up in their case. The breakdown of the partition separating these areas has done more to chip away at our 'small freedoms' than anything else other than perhaps our drug policy IMO.
Excellent points!

The next time someone argues for "states rights" to protect their freedom, remember this example of how the smaller the jurisdiction, the more oppressive it can become.

DUI is pretty much the only crime where they can start giving out punishments before you even get a trial.

No, basically every "crime" is that way. A person is arrested and jailed prior to any conviction.

We vacationed in the "Conch Republic" (Key West, Florida), which "seceded" from the USA over drug and immigration checkpoints - claiming if the government is setting up checkpoints as if a border crossing, then they must be a different country anyway. The city council has "declared war" on the USA in the past, "attacked" an old historic fort on one of the islands, and otherwise gets pissy over feds messing with them.

What needs to be done in addition to suggestions above, is a mass international campaign, plus every possible manner of lawsuit. Does the law actually say people can be strapped down forcibly and put in a head lock? There are people who do not heal well from blood drawn. Does a nurse have medical authority to do so without a licensed doctor specifically authorizing it? What happens to the blood sample? How does a person not know they are being infected from improper procedure?
KW? I knew you had some redeaming points to you somewhere. LOL
And you are right. Getting a needle jabbed in me on the side of a road not meant to save my life does sound less than sterile.

Last edited:
The next time someone argues for "states rights" to protect their freedom, remember this example of how the smaller the jurisdiction, the more oppressive it can become.
It's also easier to overcome. It's a double-edged sword.

No, basically every "crime" is that way. A person is arrested and jailed prior to any conviction.
I am talking about forcing thinks like AA meetings and that sort that you have to pay for.
My brother in law got one and they wanted him to start community service before trial.

especially for pesky smokers, eh?
You probably dont get many brush fires in Chi Town, but down here where it can be dry for months at a time.
We get alot. And people still throw lit cigs out the window.

I am talking about forcing thinks like AA meetings and that sort that you have to pay for.
My brother in law got one and they wanted him to start community service before trial.
A family member of mine got one, and started the stuff before trial. Then, he talked to an attorney. Too late. That was it. The attorney said that he'd have had a chance at beating it had he seen the attorney first, and that if you begin doing everything they want prior to trial that judges view that as an admission of guilt.

From that and other observations, I have come to the conclusion that you NEVER agree to anything regarding your guilt/innocence without consulting with a reputable attorney first.

I don't drink, smoke, or use drugs. The first question that always comes to my mind is "Why am I being stopped?"

I am aware of the SCOTUS decisions, and I completely disagree with them. This is police state tactics and I keep thinking of all those James Bond and war films picturing some totalitarian state funtionary saying "Pappers Plez."

This is what comes of "prevention laws," and one of the many, many reasons I oppose the vast majority of them.

Warrants still need probable cause. And mere presence at a location certainly doesn't produce probable cause. But even if the checkpoint can be legal, forcibly taking someone's blood goes way beyond what they're empowered to do.

DUI language is basically a rubber-stamp, ie "slurred speech, staggering, smelled of liquor." I doubt that 1% of DUI warrants don't have nearly that exact language. Even if the person tests at 0%, there is no perjury risk to the officer.

You know as soon as you give resistance you will get bum rushed by the two biggest cops they got then tazed.
While hog tied in the back of the cruiser, they will get blood.
They will also take your car, good luck getting it back, and everything in it.
CCW permit? Gone.
CDL? Gone.
Clean record? Gone.
Maybe job too if it requires a clean record like mine.

but we need the police state to keep us safe from ourselves.

Tennessee to roll out “No Refusal” blood-draw DUI checkpoints for Labor Day

Tennessee to roll out "No Refusal" blood-draw DUI checkpoints for Labor Day | Police State USA

In the Netherlands they do it differently, first they get a quick alcohol test by blowing in an alcohol testing device. If they fail, they go to the police station or the mobile alcohol testing device, in here you blow twice into a highly accurate alcohol in breath testing device. Between the first blowing test and the second blowing test there has to be a minimum time of 30 minutes. If the second blowing test still shows too much alcohol they get a driving ban if it is just a little over for 2 or more hours, a ticket and a court date. You have 4 attempts to provide 2 valid tests. If you fail to because you claim you cannot blow into the device or willingly sabotage the blowing test you will then be transported to the police station where a licensed doctor will take you blood. You are allowed to refuse the test but then your license will be taken away from you and you will be sentenced as a drunk driver to the fullest extent of the law.

Even unanimous decisions can be overturned, but that does not mean they will be. They will have warrants as required by the 4th amendment. Here is a clue--don't drive drunk and you won't have to worry about it.

They set up a checkpoint on one of two ways out of the beach area here in San Diego on a holiday once.

I was on a motorcycle, but people were in that line for like 4-5 hours.

Inexcusable. And utterly pointless after people had been in their cars for hours before reaching the checkpoint.

I don't drink, smoke, or use drugs. The first question that always comes to my mind is "Why am I being stopped?"

I am aware of the SCOTUS decisions, and I completely disagree with them. This is police state tactics and I keep thinking of all those James Bond and war films picturing some totalitarian state funtionary saying "Pappers Plez."

This is what comes of "prevention laws," and one of the many, many reasons I oppose the vast majority of them.

It's gone beyond "papers please" to being strapped down and taking your blood. No "please" involved either.

Never got stopped with one, but I'm looking for a new home regardless...

central Texas....we have no refusal weekends on , i believe, all holiday weekends and weekends with major events.
I haven't been stopped yet, but I know they exist.

...lots of good **** to offset the stupid ****, though.

central Texas....we have no refusal weekends on , i believe, all holiday weekends and weekends with major events.
I haven't been stopped yet, but I know they exist.

...lots of good **** to offset the stupid ****, though.

I think it's about how fast stupid is taking hold which will be the deciding factor...

I think it's about how fast stupid is taking hold which will be the deciding factor...

well, stay out of Travis country then ( Austin)... stupid moves fast there... very fast. ( it's a "blue" city... and they are big into bans and restrictions... they don't ban or restrict stupid, though.... they require it.)

the suburbs outside of Travis country are much better.... the "sticks" outside of the suburbs are even better ( stupid moves at a snails pace)

well, stay out of Travis country then ( Austin)... stupid moves fast there... very fast. ( it's a "blue" city... and they are big into bans and restrictions... they don't ban or restrict stupid, though.... they require it.)

the suburbs outside of Travis country are much better.... the "sticks" outside of the suburbs are even better ( stupid moves at a snails pace)

Yeah, Texas got ex'ed for the most part, was looking at San Antonio and Corpus Christi, but, meh....Dallas area, too much build up of ticky tacky if you catch my meaning... Those for the most part were the only two areas the missus and I were looking at...

This sort of horse **** really pisses me off. I don't mean "makes me a little angry"... I mean it lights a long, hot burning fuse down deep inside that is going to burn for a long, long time.

It does, doesn't it? Just makes me very angry, yet exactly nothing to be done about it.

Back
Top Bottom