• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tennessee Could Make Bible the Official State Book

I think taking time out of the legislative process to make anything the "State ______" is kind of a waste of time. What the hell does it matter if there's a state pie or not? Does anybody really care if we have a state bird? State book? State color? State fart sound?
Some things... like state bird, or state tree, or whatever... can have positive marketing implications for tourism and the such. They would need to be unique and/or special to the state, though. Not something overly common to many places.

Stuff like a state book is silly, and I agree a waste of time.

Some things... like state bird, or state tree, or whatever... can have positive marketing implications for tourism and the such. They would need to be unique and/or special to the state, though. Not something overly common to many places.

Stuff like a state book is silly, and I agree a waste of time.

State bird of Texas is the mockingbird. Not exactly a poignant choice, despite the popular book.

I think taking time out of the legislative process to make anything the "State ______" is kind of a waste of time. What the hell does it matter if there's a state pie or not? Does anybody really care if we have a state bird? State book? State color? State fart sound?

It doesn't.
I just looked through some of my and neighboring "state things" and I've either never heard of it or no one cares about it.

DC should have the dodo bird as its "state" bird.

First, the name is appropriate, and two, the dodo's status is what we hope for for politicians... extinction.

I'm just happy that the state of Tennessee has a book.

That would be funnier if you weren't chiming in from a state with an even lower rate of literacy, lol.

I think it's a brilliant stroke, beating every other State to the greatest best seller of all time!

Of course once this bit of excitement dies down and the knickers get knotted over some other minor issue, this "Official" book will be as as forgotten as the official flowers symbols, tree symbols, metal symbols, and all the rest. Being anti-Christian just happens to be in vogue, to an incredible degree with a competitive religion especially, so some get easily excited at anything which might possibly proselytize their innocent minds.

Don't buy into the hype because some idiot on FoxNews told you there is a war on Christians, or there is some "competitive religion" lurking in the shadows up to something sinister.

It all comes down to what I was hinting at, what the State does with this official status for the Bible. The moment they do no matter how minor, they end up breaking their own State Constitution.

Backwards talibornagain hllbillies....unbelievable.

Don't buy into the hype because some idiot on FoxNews told you there is a war on Christians, or there is some "competitive religion" lurking in the shadows up to something sinister.
The competitive religion emerged from the shadows a few decades ago and seems to be getting stronger than ever. It seems this idea of Chrstianophobia has really taken hold.. http://indefenseofchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Genocide-report.pdf

It all comes down to what I was hinting at, what the State does with this official status for the Bible. The moment they do no matter how minor, they end up breaking their own State Constitution.
Which part of their State Constitution are they breaking?

What a ridiculous waste of taxpayer $$, for legislators to be spending time on this. Every single resident should be outraged.

If you have strong faith, why do you need anyone else to recognize the importance of the Bible, much less 'the state?'

Maybe you should read the article:
"It's about a lot of different things," Southerland responded. "But what we're doing here is recognizing it for its historical and cultural contribution to the state of Tennessee."

(emphasis added by me)

Agreed. Yet - Wishing it and trying to force it are two separate and distinct actions. Having the state establish a religion is the latter, not the former.

Read the article:
"It's about a lot of different things," Southerland responded. "But what we're doing here is recognizing it for its historical and cultural contribution to the state of Tennessee."

They should make Cormac McCarthy's Child of God the official state book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_God

Did that book have the same "historical and cultural contribution to the state of Tennessee." as the Bible did (and still does)?

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest took place in Oregon.

Was the Bible written in Tennessee, or is it about Tennessee? Or is this, yet again, an attempt by Republicans to force religion on people?
Did you read the article?

The competitive religion emerged from the shadows a few decades ago and seems to be getting stronger than ever. It seems this idea of Chrstianophobia has really taken hold.. http://indefenseofchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Genocide-report.pdf

That is a report about the treatment of Christians, and other faiths, in the Middle East at the hands of Islamic extremism.

And just to help you, the Middle East has not been a safe haven for Christians or Jews going back a very long time. Long before ISIS and al-Qaeda knew what they were missing out on. In fact the handling of people by faith between all the flavors of Monotheism have been in some degree of conflict going back to all of their origins.

You make it sound like "Chrstianophobia" is happening right here in the US, and that thinking only comes from FoxNews commentary and other right leaning pundits trying to convince you that there is some war on Christianity in this nation.

Is not happening, the overwhelming majority of this nation is still some flavor of Christian. Even the Pew reports on this say that very conclusion.

Which part of their State Constitution are they breaking?

Did you actually read my comment, I said "It all comes down to what I was hinting at, what the State does with this official status for the Bible." As in, what happens next. Like affording some protection or other recognition to the Bible because of the "official book" status.

This is wrong, in my eyes.

To do this under the guise of calling the Bible a "book" is deceptive and skirting the proponents true intentions.

Did you read the article?

Read the article:

I read the article, including the concerns from their own State Legislative opposition on what this *could* mean in State Constitutional terms.

Because sadly some christians are pious to the level of being boastful, intolerant, self-aggrandizing, arrogant and inconsiderate to anyone not as devout and pious as they are. Religion should be a personal faith, not a government enforced/practiced/promoted/dictated state affair.

Yes, but most of us aren't. You're responding to what you want to believe and will almost certainly cherry-pick examples to prove your point, all the while ignoring the other 99% of Christians.

Did that book have the same "historical and cultural contribution to the state of Tennessee." as the Bible did (and still does)?

Absolutely, Ive read the book and its pretty good. Plus McCarthy is a Pulitzer Prize winner. :mrgreen:

It does look like some who call themselves Christian prefer following the commandments found in the Old Testament over the words of Jesus.

There are frightening parallels between the two groups, radical Islamists and radical Christians: Don't mess with their sacred text, kill the gays, anti-abortion, women should be subservient to men, only their specific beliefs are acceptable in society and all government regulations should comply with those beliefs.

Biblical Christianity backs NONE of those assertions. Now go and find out of context quotes from the Bible and cherry-picked articles to back up what you said.

That would be funnier if you weren't chiming in from a state with an even lower rate of literacy, lol.

Still funny. :2razz:

It's not my fault the state legislature has had it's head up it's ass for decades now.

Back
Top Bottom