• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tempe: Bad police shoot

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-southeast-valley/tempe/tempe-police-release-body-cam-video-after-teen-burglary-suspect-shot-and-killed

The cop's body cam video is at one of the links.

Basically, cop gets a call about a suspicious vehicle in an alley. Cop approaches the vehicle and the kid inside bolts. Cop shoots the kid.

Damn.

Once again, deadly force is something you use when there are no other options. It's a matter of IMMINENT threat of death or great bodily harm. A kid running away from you DOES NOT constitute such a threat unless he turns to shoot or was just involved in a dangerous crime that you witnessed.

Just...yeah, the kid was, apparently, breaking into cars. Yeah, it seems the kid had an Airsoft pistol on him. Still, THERE WAS NO THREAT that warranted deadly force.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-southeast-valley/tempe/tempe-police-release-body-cam-video-after-teen-burglary-suspect-shot-and-killed

Basically, cop gets a call about a suspicious vehicle in an alley. Cop approaches the vehicle and the kid inside bolts. Cop shoots the kid.

Damn.

Once again, deadly force is something you use when there are no other options. It's a matter of IMMINENT threat of death or great bodily harm. A kid running away from you DOES NOT constitute such a threat unless he turns to shoot or was just involved in a dangerous crime that you witnessed.

Just...yeah, the kid was, apparently, breaking into cars. Yeah, it seems the kid had an Airsoft pistol on him. Still, THERE WAS NO THREAT that warranted deadly force.

Another case of a cowardly cop blasting away and killing people... I bet it was within department policy and the cop will be back at work soon, ready to blow away another child.

Damn.

Saw this last night. The kid was carrying an air pistol that if I recall he stole out of the truck with other items. The officer said he fired because the kid turned towards him, however the body camera footage doesn't show that. And the fatal bullet hit him in the shoulder blade.

Another case of a cowardly cop blasting away and killing people... I bet it was within department policy and the cop will be back at work soon, ready to blow away another child.

It's highly unlikely that the cop will get a pass on this shooting. There was just SO much wrong with that shoot I can't imagine that the cops won't end up in striped pajamas.

Damn.

What, exactly, does this have to do with gun control?

Happening way too often, no other comparable nation to the US has this issue.

It's highly unlikely that the cop will get a pass on this shooting. There was just SO much wrong with that shoot I can't imagine that the cops won't end up in striped pajamas.

Well that’s what I though about the AZ cop who shot the guy crawling in the hotel carpet, jury acquittal there

The Tempe Officers Association, the police union, said on Friday they are going to wait before doing any interviews.

Gotta give the guy enough time to study the video to come up with an alternate excuse to murder.

Anyway,

# BodyCamsOnAllCops
# Land of the "free", home of the "brave"

If only we could go back in time.
Would suggest to the family and boy that breaking into someone's vehicle and stealing is illegal and some owners can become violent.
Would suggest to the officer that even though the adrenaline goes up a notch upon seeing a gun he has to be dead certain that he needs to shoot plus not knowing if there are any innocent people in that range.

Damn.

Cops view their guns as a substitute for their lack of physical fitness.

Well sometimes in fact a physical disparity is a justification for deadly force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this last night. The kid was carrying an air pistol that if I recall he stole out of the truck with other items. The officer said he fired because the kid turned towards him, however the body camera footage doesn't show that. And the fatal bullet hit him in the shoulder blade.

Doubtless the cop will claim he thought his life was in danger by the fleeing suspect.

I hope the family sues for millions and the cop does down for murder 1.

Cops will continue to kill people until the see that there are consequences.

Doubtless the cop will claim he thought his life was in danger by the fleeing suspect.

When I first watched the video I was on my phone and while I could see how far away the kid was and that he was still running away when fired at, for some reason I thought the kid dropped right after. Once I watched another video on my desktop I saw the kid had actually turned the alley and kept going. Not sure if there any video of the shooting officer actually finding him or what happened where the kid ended up. He died on the way to the hospital.

In the past I would have been 100% convinced the officer would be found guilty. These days? No guarantee, but fortunately making departments wear body cameras is have more officers answer to their decisions.

Nope. He posed a threat to the public. This will be covered by fleeing felon rule. The officer had reason to believe that if he didn't shoot him, he could kidnap, shoot, or take a citizen hostage. Plus, it only takes a split second to turn around and shoot at the officer.

gun banners view gun banning as substitute for actual crime control

you apparently are clueless about what constitutes murder 1

reckless or negligent homicide might fit here

Back
Top Bottom