• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Tell us what your name means here

Well my real name is Jamie McCallum.

I believe that Jamie is Celtic version of James, whilst McCallum, means son of Calum, which from what I've heard is the Celtic translation of Calumba. St. Calumba was a Catholic missionary that brought Christianity to the west coast of Scotland.

So there you go!:2razz:

I love reading about this kind of stuff. Keep it coming, folks.

alphie, will you forgive me for misspelling your name above? I put the "e" before the "i." Now that I know what your name means, it won't happen again.

Thank you everyone for sharing this information. :2wave:

Long ago....I lived and worked in Yosemite Nat'l Park. Many legends abound there, revolving around the Local Native American tribe, and so much history goes into the naming of places and formations within the park. I lived on Tecoyah Road for quite some time, which roughly translates to "Valley of the waving grasses" in the Miwok language. Finding an email/chat/forum nick that is unique is sometimes tough....so....I picked something I felt no one else would use....so far, so good.

tecoyah said:
Long ago....I lived and worked in Yosemite Nat'l Park. Many legends abound there, revolving around the Local Native American tribe, and so much history goes into the naming of places and formations within the park. I lived on Tecoyah Road for quite some time, which roughly translates to "Valley of the waving grasses" in the Miwok language. Finding an email/chat/forum nick that is unique is sometimes tough....so....I picked something I felt no one else would use....so far, so good.

tecoyah, what a surprise to see you in this thread. ;)

hee hee hee

I went to Yosemite last year for vacation! The hiking was fantastic, BUT the second day we got there, it snowed, snowed, and snowed, and it was unexpected. Two people who were rock climbing on El Capitan froze to death. :shock: We stayed at the Awahanee hotel. It was excellent!

aps said:
tecoyah, what a surprise to see you in this thread. ;)

hee hee hee

I went to Yosemite last year for vacation! The hiking was fantastic, BUT the second day we got there, it snowed, snowed, and snowed, and it was unexpected. Two people who were rock climbing on El Capitan froze to death. :shock: We stayed at the Awahanee hotel. It was excellent!

Deaths on El Cap were relatively common....and the storms are harsh when they hit. I did SAR for awhile there and it was....most unpleasant....heh. The Ahwahnee is a wicked cool building.....I could stare at the beams in the dining room for hours. I lived right across the Meadow from where you stayed....in the little houses on the other side....in fact, the road behind those houses is....you guessed it....Tecoyah Rd.

tecoyah said:
Deaths on El Cap were relatively common....and the storms are harsh when they hit. I did SAR for awhile there and it was....most unpleasant....heh. The Ahwahnee is a wicked cool building.....I could stare at the beams in the dining room for hours. I lived right across the Meadow from where you stayed....in the little houses on the other side....in fact, the road behind those houses is....you guessed it....Tecoyah Rd.

Interesting. There is a federal court at Yosemite, and my husband jokes about wanting to clerk for the judge there. He is an environmentalist to the max!

We just saw The Shining for the first time in ages and we freaked when we saw the lobby in that movie because it looked so much like the Awahanee (I immediately recognized the light fixtures). Well, I did a search and saw that the director (or some other important person) loved the lobby so much in the Awahanee that he used it as an inspriation for the lobby in that movie.

aps said:
Interesting. There is a federal court at Yosemite, and my husband jokes about wanting to clerk for the judge there. He is an environmentalist to the max!

We just saw The Shining for the first time in ages and we freaked when we saw the lobby in that movie because it looked so much like the Awahanee (I immediately recognized the light fixtures). Well, I did a search and saw that the director (or some other important person) loved the lobby so much in the Awahanee that he used it as an inspriation for the lobby in that movie.

Hmmmm...I always thought that was the Wawona Hotel (other side of the Park).....just shows to go ya. Likely, if it hadn't been for the big flood, I would still be in Yosemite....I miss it at times.

Hipsterdufus is the name of a band I recorded with back in the mid 80's.
Someone called Kramer a hipsterdufus once on Seinfeld too.

The hipster-dufus is a modern term of art that refers to the once-unpopular, pocket-protector wearing, near-sighted, pimple-popping dweebs we all knew getting straight As in science and math. In high school, most kids avoided them like the plague thinking they had a boring life sentence filled with fashion faux pas and lonely Saturday nights.

The wake–up call is that the 21st century has produced a new era of crime solvers and investigators that now live behind every TV and computer in America. The new at-home hipster-dufus is on the ready. His mantra is "Down with the hype and dictatorial reign of the media elite – technology means power to the people." So liars beware.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40501

I'm the anti-thesiss to Bill O' Reilly.

Billo_Really said:
I'm the anti-thesiss to Bill O' Reilly.

Oh, so this means that you sexually harass your co-workers and have phone sex with them too? Since, you know.....Bill didn't do either of those things.

:lol:

I served with the U.S. Army 9th Infantry Division in Vietnam in '67 and '68. The 9th ID is known as the "Old Reliables", following many years of successful campaigns from WWI through Vietnam.

My avatar is the 9th Inf Div unit patch. The figure on the patch is an OCTOFOIL, which is a device that dates back to the 15th Century when it was customary for each son to have an individual mark of distinction. Under the rules of heraldry there are eight foils or positions. Heraldic rules gave the OCTOFOIL to the ninth son, a device symbolic of his being surrounded by eight brothers. The 9th Infantry Division insignia is a red and blue octofoil; a design of eight petals with a white center.

Thanks hipster and oldreliable! Great stories! Happy New Year to you two bozos. :2wave:

Trajan - greatest Roman emperor renowned for his love of the people and his quick decisive action during the tragedy at Pompeii

Octavian - First Roman Emperor later to rename himself Augustus Caesar.

Titus - took power during time of civil unrest restored stability and began massive building works within Rome including Flavians amphitheater (the Colosseum)

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Trajan - greatest Roman emperor renowned for his love of the people and his quick decisive action during the tragedy at Pompeii

Octavian - First Roman Emperor later to rename himself Augustus Caesar.

Titus - took power during time of civil unrest restored stability and began massive building works within Rome including Flavians amphitheater (the Colosseum)
I thought it was just an explanation of your debating style...

That of a TOT...:2wave:

tecoyah said:

Well, damn, dear....here I was thinking it meant, "tec, oh yea......":mrgreen:

Originally posted by aps:
Oh, so this means that you sexually harass your co-workers and have phone sex with them too? Since, you know.....Bill didn't do either of those things.
Since I am currently un-employed, harassing co-workers is out of the question. And the only thing I use my phone line for is the internet. Talk slower while I get a little comfortable...

Originally Posted by Trajan Octavian Titus
Jesus is that you???
What.........uh.........yeah..........whatever...........uh .........this is me......... I'm mean I...............I'm mean HE .........OH, shut-up and assume the postition, you've been a bad boy!

My name is a chemical discovered at Hebrew University, which is many times more potent than cannabis, and has been proven to stimulate neurogenesis in the hippocampus (other drugs, cocaine and heroine decrease neurogenesis).

It started in another board, where people abbreviated my original signname, HomoUniversalis to HU. HomoUniversalis is meant to represent my broad knowledge, and yet also a satire thereon. HomoUniversalis of course means Universal Man (being it the latin homo, man, not the greek, 'same'). Leonardo was called a HomoUniversalis.

Mr U

aps said:
I am always curious why people choose certain user names, so here's an opportunity for me (and others) to learn why you have chosen the one you have.

aps are my initials. I know, I know--kinda boring. But hey, I like being called by my name and not something like "sexy momma" (even though the latter is true). ;)

Dear aps, ...I recieved the very same invite via PM. Hello, ..my name is Stu & how do you do?

Maybe a little "Hawiian" good luck greeting, ..or perhaps a bit of harmless off color sicilian slang greetings? ;)

It generally creates a little harmless laughter when used among those who's last names end in vowels.

Last edited:
HU-210 said:
My name is a chemical discovered at Hebrew University, which is many times more potent than cannabis, and has been proven to stimulate neurogenesis in the hippocampus (other drugs, cocaine and heroine decrease neurogenesis).

It started in another board, where people abbreviated my original signname, HomoUniversalis to HU. HomoUniversalis is meant to represent my broad knowledge, and yet also a satire thereon. HomoUniversalis of course means Universal Man (being it the latin homo, man, not the greek, 'same'). Leonardo was called a HomoUniversalis.

Mr U
Is there any way I can get my hands on this chemical?

galenrox said:
Is there any way I can get my hands on this chemical?

:rofl
Do you know when I read HU's post, I said to myself, "Damn, what till galen reads this."

My forum name doesn't remotely ressemble who I am or what my real name is. My real name in real life doesn't even start with the letter "T" and I wanted to pick a name that was completely opposite of my real name and who I am. It is designed to keep confidentiality as I don't put any of my user details out in the open or pick a name that helps others to determine my real name or to have a true representation in their mind of who I really am. Sort of like a woman giving herself a man's name on a forum to trick or fool others. The idea of "Timmy Boy" came from some redneck movie I was watching where "Tim" was a "good ole boy" and the rednecks in the film would call him with utmost respect "TimmyBoy" and I found the way they said it rather humerous. Not that I am stating whether I am male or female. I think those who have had conversations and are articulate thinkers can determine my gender. The goal was to be able to carry out serious political debate with strangers while keeping myself a stranger and an unknown in this cyber realm of communication.

aps said:
Thanks hipster and oldreliable! Great stories! Happy New Year to you two bozos. :2wave:

Happy New Year - It's off to work for me! Gigging with the country club elite :mrgreen:

aps said:
I am always curious why people choose certain user names, so here's an opportunity for me (and others) to learn why you have chosen the one you have.

aps are my initials. I know, I know--kinda boring. But hey, I like being called by my name and not something like "sexy momma" (even though the latter is true). ;)

James is my middle name and Rage is the last name of a cartoon villian.

Back
Top Bottom