• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ted Lieu to GOP: "If you want positive search results do positive things"

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
"No fair you know how to research things in real time." I cannot tell you how many times I told colleagues i found the answer by googling. I never detect said liberal bias in any searches I have ever performed. To my point:

"You don't have a group of people at Google, sitting there thinking, 'Hey, we like Steve Scalise, we're going to generate positive articles on these search results," he said. "That's not what's happening, right?"

But then Lieu pivoted — pulling out his smartphone for a search in real-time — and entered King's name into Google.

King, who was sitting across the room on the powerful House panel, became visibly perturbed.

"I'm going to change one word. So I'm going to search for 'Congressman Steve King,' I'm going to hit the 'news' tab. First article that pops up is from ABC News," Lieu said. "It says Steve King's racist immigration talk prompts calls for congressional censure. That's a negative article. But you don't have a group of people at Google thinking and trying to modify search results — every time Steve King comes up, a negative article appears, that's not what's happening, right?"

Pichai again said no, reiterating that Google does not manipulate results for individuals like that.

"So let me just conclude here by stating the obvious," Lieu responded. "If you want positive search results, do positive things. If you don't want negative search results, don't do negative things."

"And to some of my colleagues across the aisle, if you're getting bad press articles and bad search results, don't blame Google or Facebook or Twitter, consider blaming yourself," he added.

Democratic Rep. Ted Lieu tears into Republican colleagues during Google hearing: 'If you want positive search results do positive things'

"No fair you know how to research things in real time." I cannot tell you how many times I told colleagues i found the answer by googling. I never detect said liberal bias in any searches I have ever performed. To my point:

Democratic Rep. Ted Lieu tears into Republican colleagues during Google hearing: 'If you want positive search results do positive things'

Yes everyone complains about google

The Gaurdian - How Google's search algorithm spreads false information with a rightwing bias

But it’s well known that google has a negativity bias because humans inherently do as well

What Lieu ignores is the deliberate negativity from the "news" media.

A vast and shadowy media conspiracy was not the subject. Why would he address your conspiracy theory when the subject is something else. There's no reason; you're just spewing crap.

...because they do bad things, it's what he just freaking told you.

Keep telling America that the MSM is the enemy of the people, and expect MSM to report that he's the ****ing Messiah?? How do you even come up with the B.S. you write?
He lies, you want them to say "Aw shucks, Trump is a swell guy!!". They call him out. He hates it, he attacks back with his filthy non-presidential mouth, they point out that it's not presidential.
Trump does this ON PURPOSE. He's in the news 24/7 because of it.

Trump believes no press is bad press, and you're here claiming it's bad press...

...because they do bad things, it's what he just freaking told you.

Keep telling America that the MSM is the enemy of the people, and expect MSM to report that he's the ****ing Messiah?? How do you even come up with the B.S. you write?
He lies, you want them to say "Aw shucks, Trump is a swell guy!!". They call him out. He hates it, he attacks back with his filthy non-presidential mouth, they point out that it's not presidential.
Trump does this ON PURPOSE. He's in the news 24/7 because of it.

Trump believes no press is bad press, and you're here claiming it's bad press...

A big part of the routine is playing victim and some people really really love victims. Their entire worldview is based on being a victim, and they expect everyone to join the pity party.

A big part of the routine is playing victim and some people really really love victims. Their entire worldview is based on being a victim, and they expect everyone to join the pity party.
Always coupled with pointing the finger at the opponent as being the cause... usually angry dems, MSM, DOJ, FBI, but sometimes a Jeff Sessions, Michael Cohen as needed when their usefulness has run out.
And it necessarily goes into the "label democrats as playing victim" talking point.

That's not on Google though.

What is on Google is what bias they have embedded in their algorithm. Why does that article come up as the 1st search result is the question.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I hate people like that. I'm surrounded by people like that at work, it rubs off on me too. My parents always tell me I'm too pessimistic. It's hard to do whenever you bring up positive news stories and get yelled at at work. Then you sit in silence surrounded by people complaining about their crappy life choices...

I hate people like that. I'm surrounded by people like that at work, it rubs off on me too. My parents always tell me I'm too pessimistic. It's hard to do whenever you bring up positive news stories and get yelled at at work. Then you sit in silence surrounded by people complaining about their crappy life choices...

That's the world. The content are few and far between, no matter class or anything else. Expectation is a disease even the rich can get.

That's the world. The content are few and far between, no matter class or anything else. Expectation is a disease even the rich can get.

EX: I bring up a promising successful space mission. They say: Who cares, The MTA is corrupt and I have no money!

EX: I bring up a promising successful space mission. They say: Who cares, The MTA is corrupt and I have no money!

Perspective is a wealth even the rich are without.

Expectations and perspective. People gotta work hard to keep them in check.

Last edited:
:prof If it hurts hitting your thumb with a hammer, then stop hitting your thumb with a hammer.

It's a bitch when their ugly tendencies comes back to bite the GOP square in the ass.

Yeah, that's just luck of the draw for who you work with. They are out there but it's hard enough to find a job that meets lots of criteria like pay and the actually job and the location. Adding in "has good people to work with" just makes it harder..
I got lucky for 8 years at a tech startup, the two hiring bosses were good at hiring good, smart people (except me, I was just good). If you run your own business of course, you get to control that entirely...makes for an improved work quality of life. If it's a big company, there are often enough good people mixed in, you can hunt and find a lunch group with similar interests perhaps. Geeks, at least us older ones, never really broadcasted our geekiness so it took coded messages to reveal our allies :)

Yeah, that's just luck of the draw for who you work with. They are out there but it's hard enough to find a job that meets lots of criteria like pay and the actually job and the location. Adding in "has good people to work with" just makes it harder..
I got lucky for 8 years at a tech startup, the two hiring bosses were good at hiring good, smart people (except me, I was just good). If you run your own business of course, you get to control that entirely...makes for an improved work quality of life. If it's a big company, there are often enough good people mixed in, you can hunt and find a lunch group with similar interests perhaps. Geeks, at least us older ones, never really broadcasted our geekiness so it took coded messages to reveal our allies :)

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of branching out and hanging out with the girls downstairs they seem much happier and cheerful.

As long as I'm playing 'old wise one' on the internet, allow me the indulgence of revealing the well of my wisdom. I've lived in societies that had nothing superficially in common with my home. Not as an employee or someone working with an organization, all alone. Just me and a fascinating new world as far as I could see. I felt that was kinda true in Sweden and certainly true in Kenya. This allowed me to discern the fundamental disconnects between people: expectation and perspective. Knowledge + perspective = understanding. Too often we believe knowledge alone will suffice.

:rofl considering all you do here is post negative stuff, I think you might have the wrong idea about the conversations you are starting

:rofl considering all you do here is post negative stuff, I think you might have the wrong idea about the conversations you are starting

critiquing and mocking is often the greatest form of comedy.

It was epic. Steve King is a national embarrassment. Lieu made him look even worse than he normally does - that's saying a lot, too.

Back
Top Bottom