• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ted Koppel slams Fox News for being as partisan and biased as MSNBC

Moderator's Warning:
Moved from Mainstream Media.

Over half of Fox's programming is commentary as opposed to news. That commentary is quite partisan. So yes, I agree with Ted on this one.

Over half of Fox's programming is commentary as opposed to news. That commentary is quite partisan. So yes, I agree with Ted on this one.

My God what a false statement. Care to back that up?

My God what a false statement. Care to back that up?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/business/media/12fox.html

Fox argues that its news hours — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. on weekdays — are objective. The channel has taken pains recently to highlight its news programs, including the two hours led by Shepard Smith, its chief news anchor. And its daytime newscasts draw more viewers than CNN or MSNBC’s prime-time programs.

So, according to fox, they broadcast 9 hours of news programming a weekday, which is where that "more than half" deal comes from. To make it a better comparison, we should subtract out the hours of repeat programming from 11pm-3am and 4am-6am, which puts the news programming at exactly half.

Although I hardly consider even their "news" anchors to be objective. Listen to Megyn Kelly for 20 minutes and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Did anyone actually READ the linked piece in the OP?

Ted Koppel slams Fox News for being as partisan and biased as MSNBC in an opinion piece in today’s Washington Post. Koppel then stretches reality even farther—beyond the breaking point—by elevating MSNBC to being an enterprise that is as successful financially and ratings-wise as Fox News! Koppel’s opinion piece makes one thing clear, all right, above all else: He is either crazy, delusional or spreading leftist propaganda (maybe all three). For Koppel to even bring down Fox News by alleging it is as hatefully partisan as MSBNC, and then bring MSNBC up to Fox News’ level by crediting it with good ratings, is close to blasphemy. Koppel would have been correct if he had limited his comments solely to MSNBC as the epitome of partisanship in the news because aside from Hannity and Beck, where are the partisan shows on Fox?! There aren’t any! MSNBC, on the other hand, features not only hardcore partisanship during primetime, but also during its so-called "news" programs during the day.

The Op should probably have read their own linked piece, then linked directly to the Post's piece, assuming their intent was to agree with Ted. Instead, they link to a piece that disagrees strenuously with Ted and his opinions.

Kind of an odd article to link to in this case.

Reactions: mpg
Last edited:
Utter BS.

Fox does straight news, and when it comes time for the prime time partisan commentary, they make no false pretenses otherwise. They cover the markets, world and U.S. events, etc, like a solid news network should, and at night, they go entertainment with a conservative slant. Simple.

MSNBC has one mode and one mode only. Attack George Bush and conservatism 24 hours a day. Nothing more.

Utter BS.

Fox does straight news, and when it comes time for the prime time partisan commentary, they make no false pretenses otherwise. They cover the markets, world and U.S. events, etc, like a solid news network should, and at night, they go entertainment with a conservative slant. Simple.

MSNBC has one mode and one mode only. Attack George Bush and conservatism 24 hours a day. Nothing more.

Looking at MSNBC's program lineup. On their weekday programming, they have about 8 hours of news and 9 hours of commentary. So its pretty even with Fox.

MSNBC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their weekend schedule isn't very concrete and is hard to analyze.

Last edited:
Utter BS.

Please. You think their "news" programming is "straight news?" No commentary or bias mixed in?

:lamo

Try the BBC or Aljazeera or RT or any foreign news service really. I'm not sure if the US has real news anymore.

Please. You think their "news" programming is "straight news?" No commentary or bias mixed in?

:lamo

Their hard news is as straight and down the middle as any TV news in the country.

Fox opinion shows have guests/panels with liberals.
Even the comedy show Red Eye has a full time liberal, and lots of liberal guests.
That leaves Glenn Becks show. His show is not news at all.
And Geraldo Rivera has his own show. Not sure what he is but, but he's not a conservative.
I also don't consider Shep Smith, straight news. He leans way left, in my opinion.
Is Koppel getting his information from Media Matters? He either doesn't watch Fox, or he is intentionally lying.

There is only one real respectable person on Fox that does news and that is Chris Wallace. Everyone else on most of the 24 hour news station is a joke.

There is only one real respectable person on Fox that does news and that is Chris Wallace. Everyone else on most of the 24 hour news station is a joke.

Nah Shep Smith is a good guy and very centrist. I wish he would wear less makeup though.

I don't agree with Ted on this one.. he is another one suffernig from "Fox Media Phobia" just because Fox exposes politicians and gives people the "REAL" news and is not in bed with Obama like the other media is.

I don't agree with Ted on this one.. he is another one suffernig from "Fox Media Phobia" just because Fox exposes politicians and gives people the "REAL" news and is not in bed with Obama like the other media is.

You should look at the chart I have linked to. It clearly delineates which programming blocks are news and which are commentary.

:lamo :lamo :lamo

Political entertainers on both are dishonest, disingenuous and don't expose anything to speak of.

But they are in bed with the Republicans so... Ted Koppel is right and this regard that our new stations suck because it is biased. We have more political pundit time than we do actual news time. And then when people are asked about either news channels they think of the pundits. And I am not saying this to just rag on Fox, but people need to realize that just because one station says what you like doesn't mean it is not biased.

Nah Shep Smith is a good guy and very centrist. I wish he would wear less makeup though.

Smith is a pain to listen to and at times he reminds me of Bill O'Reilly. Chris Wallace is the last in a breed of good interviewers and actual news reporters. Although not even Chris Wallace could hold a candle to the guy who use to anchor Face of the Nation.

Smith is a pain to listen to and at times he reminds me of Bill O'Reilly. Chris Wallace is the last in a breed of good interviewers and actual news reporters. Although not even Chris Wallace could hold a candle to the guy who use to anchor Face of the Nation.

I have always like his style. I guess to me his condescencion was more against idiots than anything else. Also he swerves both right and left at times, which is why I see him as pretty much centrist.

However I was not aware of him running over people. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom