• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ted Cruz, John Kasich join forces to stop Donald Trump

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ted Cruz, John Kasich join forces to stop Donald Trump - CNNPolitics.com

Ted Cruz and John Kasich are joining forces in a last-ditch effort to deny Donald Trump the Republican presidential nomination.
Within minutes of each other, the pair issued statements late Sunday saying they will divide their efforts in upcoming contests with Cruz focusing on Indiana and Kasich devoting his efforts to Oregon and New Mexico. The strategy -- something the two campaigns have been working on for weeks -- is aimed at blocking Trump from gaining the 1,237 delegates necessary to claim to GOP nomination this summer.

Well, just when you think you have seen everything this election season, something new comes along...

More: https://www.tedcruz.org/news/cruz-campaign-releases-statement-upcoming-primaries/

Having Donald Trump at the top of the ticket in November would be a sure disaster for Republicans. Not only would Trump get blown out by Clinton or Sanders, but having him as our nominee would set the party back a generation. To ensure that we nominate a Republican who can unify the Republican Party and win in November, our campaign will focus its time and resources in Indiana and in turn clear the path for Gov. Kasich to compete in Oregon and New Mexico, and we would hope that allies of both campaigns would follow our lead. In other states holding their elections for the remainder of the primary season, our campaign will continue to compete vigorously to win.

I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier.

Tactically, it probably should have. Working together, they might have managed a few more delegates kept from Trump in New York for example.

This is a last ditch effort that reeks of desperation - not to mention perhaps the worst timing ever. Both of these guys have tickets in their hands to a voyage on the Titanic and they are arguing about who gets the room with the best view. This only makes Trump look stronger.

Kasich has not really been running a campaign for a while now so he has precious little to suspend in those states. And Cruz no longer has any real states to be competitive in so he concentrates on internal ground operation in states where he can steal delegates from Trump and counter the voters wishes. Some principled guy you have there. Cruz is a slimy scumbag who reeks of full blown creepiness on a level that you have to go back to Joe McCarthy to see.

In the end this probably matters little as Trump has boxed the GOP into such a corner that they only outcome is for them to lose big in November and lose the Senate as well.

If this story and strategy had appeared last December - things might have been different. But now its far too little and far too late to change the destiny of the Republicans which is to be the biggest losers since 1972.

Last edited:
This is their Hail Mary pass. It also really shows that people are conspiring against Trump.

Well, just when you think you have seen everything this election season, something new comes along...

We are going to be talking about this election for a very long time, equally it is going to take a long time for the GOP to get past this one.

We are going to be talking about this election for a very long time, equally it is going to take a long time for the GOP to get past this one.

agreed. The question now is no longer who wins in November - bet the ranch on Clinton - the question is does the GOP survive in its current form or do they have to seriously rebuild forming a new party by purging themselves of right libertarians and tea party know nothings who led them to this precipice?

It's a lose lose situation for GOP. If trump earns the nomination, huge loss in November and likely his rhetoric set back party politics and influence for a generation. Steal it from him and give it to Cruz, they disenfranchise republican voters who voted for Trump and lose big in general election. Cruz just becomes a run of the mill losing presidential candidate. Some chance the party could recover within an election cycle. Kasich would be nice in the general, but he hasn't earned the nomination by any stretch.

i gladly welcome the end of the GOP if it ignores the will of its own members. TRUMP PARTY, 2016.

It's a lose lose situation for GOP. If trump earns the nomination, huge loss in November and likely his rhetoric set back party politics and influence for a generation. Steal it from him and give it to Cruz, they disenfranchise republican voters who voted for Trump and lose big in general election. Cruz just becomes a run of the mill losing presidential candidate. Some chance the party could recover within an election cycle. Kasich would be nice in the general, but he hasn't earned the nomination by any stretch.

nominating trump is the only way the GOP survives, trump voters are not right wingers, we're centrists like you CLAIM to be.

Very interesting for sure. It reeks of desperation.
Kasich...I am wondering what makes him hold on. Sure, I like a guy who doesn't give up, and out of the bunch, I so wish he were the frontrunner, anticipating a Clinton nomination of course. Clinton vs Trump and we may just stay home.
But I can't shake the feeling that the GOP establishment has plans for him, as they are not very happy with Trump or Cruz.
I would like nothing more but for Trump to go back to his ivory tower and shut up. Yet, he is the frontrunner by popular vote. We can't forget that fact. We may not like the ones currently in the lead, but we can't wish away the will of the people. Neither should Kasich, Cruz or the GOP.

This is the equivalent of a gnat and a mosquito combining forces to attack a rhino.

Only irrational hubris would lead a Ted Cruz to think he's Presidential material and more acceptable to the majority of Americans than Donald Trump would be. Donald Trump may not be taken seriously by a lot of Americans, but Ted Cruz is absolutely loathed by far more.

Donald Trump, for all his buffoonery, will actually draw support from Democrats who don't like Hillary Clinton. I don't think there's a single Democrat, no matter how much they dislike Clinton, who will vote for a thoroughly abhorrent individual like Cruz.

The Republican Party, for all its recent stupidity, will not nominate Ted Cruz over Donald Trump. They want to win the White House and deny Bill and Hillary another minute's stay in the people's house. There best chance to do that, regrettably, is by nominating Trump.

No matter what Cruz and Kasich does it wont endear trump voters to the GOP or them. If trump gets close to the number and has more than cruz or kasich and they give the nomination to other than trump, republicans will be in trouble across the board Potus state and local elections. I think they are smart enough to know that, I believe in the end IF trump is close they will give it to him. Better to lose one election than the whole enchillada.

agreed. The question now is no longer who wins in November - bet the ranch on Clinton - the question is does the GOP survive in its current form or do they have to seriously rebuild forming a new party by purging themselves of right libertarians and tea party know nothings who led them to this precipice?

This post is as bad as your post #6 was good. Throwing the principled members of the republican party out would leave us with two democrat parties. While I am sure that would make one-party-rule technocrats like you happy, it would it would be a disaster for those who believe in the concept of individual rights. But sure, go ahead and explain how 'purging' a party of half its members grows the party. You have no interest in a strong opposition party so you aren't fooling anyone by pretending you do

This is the equivalent of a gnat and a mosquito combining forces to attack a rhino.

Only irrational hubris would lead a Ted Cruz to think he's Presidential material and more acceptable to the majority of Americans than Donald Trump would be. Donald Trump may not be taken seriously by a lot of Americans, but Ted Cruz is absolutely loathed by far more.

Donald Trump, for all his buffoonery, will actually draw support from Democrats who don't like Hillary Clinton. I don't think there's a single Democrat, no matter how much they dislike Clinton, who will vote for a thoroughly abhorrent individual like Cruz.

The Republican Party, for all its recent stupidity, will not nominate Ted Cruz over Donald Trump. They want to win the White House and deny Bill and Hillary another minute's stay in the people's house. There best chance to do that, regrettably, is by nominating Trump.

Yes - that is pretty much right on the money. The best thing the GOP can do - in terms of avoiding destroying the party which is the worst possible result - is to simply accept that Trump is going to get the nomination, try to unite behind that effort, runtime best campaign you can, take the loss in November and then try to make sure it never ever happens again.

But at least they still have an intact party to make that future effort and if they deny Trump the nomination through chicanery and machiavellian machinations - then they risk destroying the party which is a whole lot worse than simply losing an election badly.

Let us remember that Goldwater tanked big time in 64 but the GOP came back four years later to win with Nixon.
MCgovern tanked badly in 72 but Carter came back for the Dems in 76 and won.
A really bad loss can be overcome. But destroying the party - well thats territory that is historic.

I doubt it, no one ever talks about the supposedly stolen election of 2000.

This is something most of my fellow republicans are missing: No candidate other than Donald Trump has anything approaching half of the party behind them. Nominating anyone who lacks support approaching that level means saying to every member of the party; your vote does not matter. That's not how you get a turnout in November, That's how you give the democrats every house/senate seat up for election. Don't believe me? go to any 2010/2012/2014 general election result in a state which has already had its 2016 primary election, look up Trump's support in the primary, subtract that number of voters from the votes the candidate received in the 2010/2012/2014 general election. How do they do now? Displacing Trump who has a clear plurality of republicans behind him is party-suicide.

Want to make it worse? We know the 'establishment' isn't planning to give Cruz the nomination either. Do the above arithmetic, but now subtract Cruz's voters, as well as Trump's.

Wake up Republicans, even a failed Trump campaign in the 2016 General Election is preferable to a 100% Democrat majority in the house/senate. 100%. Republicans will not win a single seat, as there are no races where Republicans can win if all Trump voters stay home.

CLINTON 2016, because the right has lost its mind and we might as well get on with the collapse.

This post is as bad as your post #6 was good. Throwing the principled members of the republican party out would leave us with two democrat parties. While I am sure that would make one-party-rule technocrats like you happy, it would it would be a disaster for those who believe in the concept of individual rights. But sure, go ahead and explain how 'purging' a party of half its members grows the party. You have no interest in a strong opposition party so you aren't fooling anyone by pretending you do

Libertarians need their own party and right libertarians especially need their own party and it is NOT the Republicans. Same with tea party folk.

Both groups did NOT want to do the work of building a new party so they tried to hijack the existing GOP and we see the results today.

The republicans have become a joke and the tea party faction and the right libertarians only make it a more hilarious punchline.

Very interesting for sure. It reeks of desperation.
Kasich...I am wondering what makes him hold on. Sure, I like a guy who doesn't give up, and out of the bunch, I so wish he were the frontrunner, anticipating a Clinton nomination of course. Clinton vs Trump and we may just stay home.
But I can't shake the feeling that the GOP establishment has plans for him, as they are not very happy with Trump or Cruz.
I would like nothing more but for Trump to go back to his ivory tower and shut up. Yet, he is the frontrunner by popular vote. We can't forget that fact. We may not like the ones currently in the lead, but we can't wish away the will of the people. Neither should Kasich, Cruz or the GOP.

Kasich has been pencilled in on the schedule as the VP candidate for a long time now going way back to Rubio. That is what he really wants and why he is staying in.

The problem now is that even Kasich can see being second in command on the Titanic is not the kind of promotion one really wants.

Libertarians need their own party and right libertarians especially need their own party and it is NOT the Republicans. Same with tea party folk.

Both groups did NOT want to do the work of building a new party so they tried to hijack the existing GOP and we see the results today.

The republicans have become a joke and the tea party faction and the right libertarians only make it a more hilarious punchline.

Donald Trump is NOT the result of libertarian or Tea party 'hijacking.' Trump is a New York liberal insurgent running AGAINT the establishment republicans that you seem to love. Get your facts straight

good idea, in addition the democrats should split into the; green, loon, neolithist, and gibsmedat, parties.

Donald Trump is NOT the result of libertarian or Tea party 'hijacking.' Trump is New York liberal insurgent running AGAINT the establishment republicans that you seem to love. Get your facts straight

Quite to the contrary. Trump is directly a product of the tea party know nothings and reeks of their stench. Without them - Trump never would have gained the ground that he has.

I have a brother-in-law who has spent his life blaming everybody in the world for his own failures and lack of success. He has been tea party from the start and he loves Trump and so do his buddies. Trumps ride to the top of the GOP would not have been possible without the tea party faction.

Where do you get the idea I love establishment republicans?

Back
Top Bottom