• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ted Cruz Is Making Life Miserable For House Republicans

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ted Cruz Is Making Life Miserable For House Republicans - Business Insider

For the last few weeks, House Speaker John Boehner has been trying to find a way to convince his caucus to vote for a bill that keeps the government open after Sept. 30 without picking a fight over Obamacare. But a minority of his caucus has been insisting on defunding Obamacare, egged on by outside conservative groups and a handful of far-right Republican Senators, most importantly Ted Cruz (Texas).

This has been pretty annoying for a lot of House Republican members and staff. Jonathan Strong and Andrew Stiles of National Review got an anecdote out of a closed Republican Study Committee meeting yesterday:

'Max Pappas, an aide to Texas senator Ted Cruz who was on hand, rose to argue that in the event the House and President Obama were at odds when government funding expired, Republicans could pass a bill to fund the troops and other core priorities. At that point, a woman rose, identifying herself as a staffer to a Texas Republican. Pappas, she said, was “not dealing in reality” and making everyone else’s life difficult. The staffer, whom two GOP sources identified as working for Representative John Culberson of Texas, went on to decry Cruz for holding events in Culberson’s district and telling his constituents that defunding Obamacare would be “easy.”'

This is a key aspect of the Cruz-driven defund Obamacare push. Within the Senate, Cruz is essentially irrelevant. Any budget deal that comes out of there will be struck between majority Democrats and a number of more practical-minded Republicans, like Sen. John McCain (Ariz.).

The only way he can exercise power is as an interloper in House Republican business — and his presence there is not wholeheartedly welcomed.

One senior House Republican aide complained to Business Insider that Cruz wasn't coordinating with House Republicans even as he tried to drive the legislation that would come out of the House, and that he didn't seem to have an endgame beyond President Obama sitting in the Rose Garden and signing a bill to undo his key legislative accomplishment.

even on the one thing that republicans all seem to hate, they are not united when it comes to making a plan to get rid of it.

And people like ted cruz are making things more difficult for the house which has to decide how to proceed in the up coming 13 days.

Ted Cruz Is Making Life Miserable For House Republicans - Business Insider

even on the one thing that republicans all seem to hate, they are not united when it comes to making a plan to get rid of it.

And people like ted cruz are making things more difficult for the house which has to decide how to proceed in the up coming 13 days.
The more I hear liberals complain about how Ted Cruz is destroying the republicans, the more I think he is on to something.

and what about the times when republicans complain about him.
Personally, I think Obama is destroying the democratic party and hurting their chances in the next election by sticking to his radical liberal agenda. Why doesn't he just give in to what the republicans want and save his own party?

Personally, I think Obama is destroying the democratic party and hurting their chances in the next election by sticking to his radical liberal agenda. Why doesn't he just give in to what the republicans want and save his own party?

This IS what his party wants. They wouldn't have voted it i if they didn't like it.

This IS what his party wants. They wouldn't have voted it i if they didn't like it.

I hope Cruz is making life miserable for Boehner. We need a few hundred more of Cruz in the house. Maybe we could turn this ship around.

and what about the times when republicans complain about him.

I'm not yet glorifying Cruz, but let's look at the republicans who are complaining about him. Worthless bunch of crooked sellouts like McCain.

Nonsense. Many voted for PPACA without a clue as to what was in it and would much prefer single payer, public option or UHC. Even Obama said that the employer mandate was a mess (not "ready" after 3 years?), the premium rate structure is written so poorly that a fifth grader can find problems with it's math; it has two "risk" factors for 1X, 2X and 3X the base rate for age, and a 1.5X rate increase for smoking but with a cap of 3X the base rate, meaning that old smokers pay no more than old non-smokers, and that and old smoker pays no more than a middle aged smoker. Naturally obesity, while a bigger health risk, is not politically acceptable to be used as a risk factor at all. It was cobbled together by morons in secret and shoved out the door just in time for one more republicant to take their congressional seat, then making it impossible to pass without any republicant votes.

I hope Cruz is making life miserable for Boehner. We need a few hundred more of Cruz in the house. Maybe we could turn this ship around.

I mean I was talking about obama not Boehner but i mean no matter if you like the health care bill or not shutting the government down seems quite childish.

Nonsense. Many voted for PPACA without a clue as to what was in it and would much prefer single payer, public option or UHC. Even Obama said that the employer mandate was a mess (not "ready" after 3 years?), the premium rate structure is written so poorly that a fifth grader can find problems with it's math; it has two "risk" factors for 1X, 2X and 3X the base rate for age, and a 1.5X rate increase for smoking but with a cap of 3X the base rate, meaning that old smokers pay no more than old non-smokers, and that and old smoker pays no more than a middle aged smoker. Naturally obesity, while a bigger health risk, is not politically acceptable to be used as a risk factor at all. It was cobbled together by morons in secret and shoved out the door just in time for one more republicant to take their congressional seat, then making it impossible to pass without any republicant votes.

If the law didn't have so many outside influences from lobbyists and everybody trying to make sure they are a winner in the legislation it might be a little bit easier to understand. I mean lobbyists dont even need to lobby anymore their advocates are the lawmakers.

I mean I was talking about obama not Boehner but i mean no matter if you like the health care bill or not shutting the government down seems quite childish.

Seems to me everything was fine after Clinton and Gingrich had their shut down spat in the 90's.

The nice thing is there will never be a few hundred Cruzes in the House, since the GOP is going extinct demographically. The Cruzes and other freaks exist only because of a few weirdo conservative enclaves. The GOP will never win a national election again.

Seems to me everything was fine after Clinton and Gingrich had their shut down spat in the 90's.

the economy was a lot stronger back then, the nation was able to survive without the government propping it up.

the economy was a lot stronger back then, the nation was able to survive without the government propping it up.

The nation doesn't survive because the government props it up. Washington survives because the nation props it up. I'm not in favor of shutting down the military because I think it's unfair for those who serve and dangerous for those already in harms way. The rest of it can bite me. A shut down will do them good.

Looks like real events have overtaken the OP.

The more I hear liberals complain about how Ted Cruz is destroying the republicans, the more I think he is on to something.

It's a lot easier when you are lockstep robots like the liberals. Wimp Republicans like Paul Ryan and their ilk are the problem. Cruz and Paul are the solution.

So your answer is to turn to Cruz radical right wing agenda?

The guy is absolutely, 100%, stark raving nuts.

The nation doesn't survive because the government props it up. Washington survives because the nation props it up. I'm not in favor of shutting down the military because I think it's unfair for those who serve and dangerous for those already in harms way. The rest of it can bite me. A shut down will do them good.

Indeed. Ordinary people working for a living and trying to put their kids through college really grinds my gears. Screw them.

Last edited:

LOL. The notion that Obama has a "radical liberal agenda" is patently absurd.

It's a lot easier when you are lockstep robots like the liberals. Wimp Republicans like Paul Ryan and their ilk are the problem. Cruz and Paul are the solution.

So is this.

The nice thing is there will never be a few hundred Cruzes in the House, since the GOP is going extinct demographically. The Cruzes and other freaks exist only because of a few weirdo conservative enclaves. The GOP will never win a national election again.

It's the Cruzes that pay for your welfare check, stop biting the hand that feeds.

So your answer is to turn to Cruz radical right wing agenda?

The guy is absolutely, 100%, stark raving nuts.
What makes you say that. I get that you disagree with him politically, but there is nothing I have seen that makes him look "nuts." And as to his supposed "radical right wing agenda," in what way is it radical? What is it that he stands for that is out of the mainstream of political thought?

Back
Top Bottom