• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ted Cruz Is Making Life Miserable For House Republicans

I mean I was talking about obama not Boehner but i mean no matter if you like the health care bill or not shutting the government down seems quite childish.

I hope they shut it down for a good long time. At least a year. I would enjoy that vacation. And we wouldn't be accruing any more debt.

Indeed. Ordinary people working for a living and trying to put their kids through college really grinds my gears. Screw them.

If your talking government employees, then yes screw them. Time for a artificially induced economic downturn and layoffs. The median income in DC and the surrounding areas is more than TWICE the rest of the country. If they haven't saved their pennies to bad.

The more I hear liberals complain about how Ted Cruz is destroying the republicans, the more I think he is on to something.

With the foolishness of the person, the more I think that Ted Crus is a closet democrat imbedded with the republicans to eventually destroy them!

I hope Cruz is making life miserable for Boehner. We need a few hundred more of Cruz in the house. Maybe we could turn this ship around.

To turn the ship around to where?

To turn the ship around to where?

Away from our failed foreign policy, ****ty economy and decreased liberty that have been created in the last decade and a half.

Wanting health care for everyone is a noble ideal. Paying for it will bankrupt this country. You liberals need to get real.

And they passed what Cruz wanted, right? So it looks like Cruz has more control over the house than the speaker. The majority of republicans voted with Cruz, and I thought republicans in the house were divided on this. Doesn't look like it.

Ted Cruz Is Making Life Miserable For House Republicans - Business Insider

even on the one thing that republicans all seem to hate, they are not united when it comes to making a plan to get rid of it.

And people like ted cruz are making things more difficult for the house which has to decide how to proceed in the up coming 13 days.

LOL. The notion that Obama has a "radical liberal agenda" is patently absurd.
"But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Wanting health care for everyone is a noble ideal. Paying for it will bankrupt this country. You liberals need to get real.

Kinda like paying for unneeded wars is gonna bankrupt this country? I bet you didnt have a problem with the Bushes and Reagan wasting trillions of dollars!

Kinda like paying for unneeded wars is gonna bankrupt this country? I bet you didnt have a problem with the Bushes and Reagan wasting trillions of dollars!
Speaking of wasting money on "wars" - how about the [now] nearly 9 trillion dollars we've wasted on the "war on poverty?" At least we won the wars Reagan and the Bushes fought.

So what's your problem? Wars, or winning wars?

Speaking of wasting money on "wars" - how about the [now] nearly 9 trillion dollars we've wasted on the "war on poverty?" At least we won the wars Reagan and the Bushes fought.

So what's your problem? Wars, or winning wars?

Oh really at almost bankrupting the country??? Reagans war was a myth so was bushes.

<<< attempting to decipher >>>

If they were myths, then what in the world are you whining about?

Cold War and Iraq was an immediate threat those myths plus 9 trillion wasnt spent on poor now if you would have said war maybe! Probably niether. The facts are though that Republican Presidents have spent the most!

It's a lot easier when you are lockstep robots like the liberals. Wimp Republicans like Paul Ryan and their ilk are the problem. Cruz and Paul are the solution.

They're just pols; they have no power. They're required to follow the orders given to them by insurance co. lobbyists, and if they don't they'll be canned by the lobbyists.

Health care mandates are supported nearly 100% by members of both major parties in Congress. There's virtually zero opposition to it, which is what one would expect, since opposing O-care entails being insubordinate to insurance cos.

All "opposition" is merely illusory.

Recall that insubordination is grounds for termination of employment, and no pol wants to be fired by BCBS, Cigna, Humana, etc.

Health care mandates are supported nearly 100% by members of both major parties in Congress. There's virtually zero opposition to it, which is what one would expect, since opposing O-care entails being insubordinate to insurance cos.

All "opposition" is merely illusory.

Recall that insubordination is grounds for termination of employment, and no pol wants to be fired by BCBS, Cigna, Humana, etc.

Then why is it they won't be using Obamacare plan for themselves if it's so grand?

There's nothing false about it. Ordinary people trying to put their kids through college will be adversely affected by a shut down.

In a logic, a false dilemma exists when you make a proposition that says if A then B when in reality if A then a number of various possibilities exist. That's the error in logic you made.

In a logic, a false dilemma exists when you make a proposition that says if A then B when in reality if A then a number of various possibilities exist. That's the error in logic you made.

... then you're saying hard working people who are trying to put kids through college (1) won't be affected or (2) only exist in the military.

... then you're saying hard working people who are trying to put kids through college (1) won't be affected or (2) only exist in the military.

No, I'm saying that it's more complex than that.

This is what you said.

Indeed. Ordinary people working for a living and trying to put their kids through college really grinds my gears. Screw them.

You implied that working people putting kids through college would be screwed by a government shut down if I read you correctly.

I can list many possible outcomes that don't involve parents getting screwed by a government shutdown. That is where your logic lacks. Don't forget the Clinton Gingrich showdown. The real crap storm was in the media. The shut down was momentary and the two sides realized that they had to come to a settlement. Prior to the shutdown, both sides were intractable.

Now, the house republicans are showing some flexibility but Obama is intractable. American generally don't support the healthcare bill. It is so poorly written it will probably collapse under it's own weight but if one side is unwilling to look at delays, changes or other issues that might make it more palatable there are limited options which will force both sides to the table. The house has the responsibility of appropriations because they are elected every two years and they are supposed to be closer to the will of the people. It's part of our system of checks and balances. If it takes money to bring Obama to the negotiating table the system is working as it was designed and the house should use it's power over the check book to try to make the bill something people will support, although there is so much wrong with this bill, it's doubtful that's possible.

No, I'm saying that it's more complex than that.

This is what you said.

You implied that working people putting kids through college would be screwed by a government shut down if I read you correctly.

I can list many possible outcomes that don't involve parents getting screwed by a government shutdown. That is where your logic lacks. Don't forget the Clinton Gingrich showdown. The real crap storm was in the media. The shut down was momentary and the two sides realized that they had to come to a settlement. Prior to the shutdown, both sides were intractable.

Now, the house republicans are showing some flexibility but Obama is intractable. American generally don't support the healthcare bill. It is so poorly written it will probably collapse under it's own weight but if one side is unwilling to look at delays, changes or other issues that might make it more palatable there are limited options which will force both sides to the table. The house has the responsibility of appropriations because they are elected every two years and they are supposed to be closer to the will of the people. It's part of our system of checks and balances. If it takes money to bring Obama to the negotiating table the system is working as it was designed and the house should use it's power over the check book to try to make the bill something people will support, although there is so much wrong with this bill, it's doubtful that's possible.

And you asserted that everybody except military personnel deserved the shut down, that it would do them good.

That includes ordinary, working people trying to put their kids through college. And I never said they were the only group affected, but they will be and they aren't military personnel.

As far as this new argument goes, there's no reason to compromise with Republicans. The longer they draw this out the more it damages their party, which is why the Establishment is trying to suppress the Tea Party. They didn't build up any credit with Democrats during the Obama Administration. There are no obligations and no debts between either party.

Popular displeasure with health care reform as written doesn't translate into any kind of support for Republicans, Republican goals, or Republican methods.

Last edited:
And you asserted that everybody except military personnel deserved the shut down, that it would do them good.

That includes ordinary, working people trying to put their kids through college. And I never said they were the only group affected, but they will be and they aren't military personnel.

As far as this new argument goes, there's no reason to compromise with Republicans. The longer they draw this out the more it damages their party, which is why the Establishment is trying to suppress the Tea Party. They didn't build up any credit with Democrats during the Obama Administration. There are no obligations and no debts between either party.

Popular displeasure with health care reform as written doesn't translate into any kind of support for Republicans, Republican goals, or Republican methods.

First of all, the harm done to working class families done by Obamacare with increased premiums and decreased quality of care would be much greater than a momentary shutdown.

The truth is that the statement that Cruz hurt the republican brand is only mumbled by democrats. Bonehor and McCain have done far more damage to the republican brand than Cruz could ever do.

Back
Top Bottom