• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ted Cruz gives an amazing speech -- doesn't endorse Trump

add kasich for his refusal to participate in the GOP's circlejerk
Perhaps.

I wonder however, if the good governor is really trying to hold-up the campaign?

THE GOP need Ohio desperately to succeed. As is so often pointed-out: No Republican has ever won the Presidency without Ohio. Winning Ohio cannot guarantee the Presidency (there's that little state called Florida that factors big), but not winning it pretty much guarantees losing the Presidency.

Kasich can crush the GOP's & Trump's Presidential hopes by going full-out against Trump in his home state. Kasich is runaway popular there, has won multiple terms as governor, with the last term by a 2:1 margin over his opponent where he took all but one or two counties in the entire state! That's big-time popular! He won nearly every county! Ohio also gave Kasich his only primary win, and most importantly it was by a substantial margin (double digits) over Trump. And during voting on the convention floor, the Ohio delegation pledged all 66 of their delegates for Kasich! Every one! Think about that.

So Kasich very much has a gun to Trump's head, and can possibly kill him if he so chooses. Something's *definitely* brewing.

But what it is, I don't know.

But I have to say, I agree with another who said he shouldn't have even shown up if he wasn't going to endorse Trump.

Not a chance. He was given the opportunity of standing in front of a camera that would provide him national exposure. Time to start his next campaign. ;)

Here's my question ---- does the nominee and party have to approve the speeches?

"I'm a Christian first, American second" is how many Christians feel. Their religion is more important to them than loyalty to their country. Nothing wrong with that. That doesn't mean they want America to be a theocracy. I've never heard Ted Cruz say anything remotely close to wanting the country to be a theocracy. If he has said that or ever says it in the future, I would never, ever vote for him.

Everything is wrong with that. Its why he will never be President.

Why? Don't you have anything or anyone you're more loyal to than your government?

Cruz might hope Hillary is so bad in four years he can replace her. I got news for him, after four years Hillary will have created all the new voters she ever needs. Not thrilled with the choices, but Cruz might regret what could have done and didn't.

I don't like Cruz or his politics, either.

But he fights for his principles, and I can respect that.

It's better than a con artist that says whatever the polls tht day say he should. At least I know I don't like Cruz; who knows, with some of these other guys (& gals).

THe guy is at least 3 times more fake than the alleged Con Man Trump.

I would damn near Trust Donald Trump with my life.

I would not want to trust Cruz with my car.

Seriously.

:blink:
I was speaking of politicians in general there, not specifically Trump.

But now that you mention it, yeah I think Trump says whatever he wants off the top of his head, whether it's true or real, or not. That's a hallmark of his.

Now you may believe he's a fundamentally fair or honest individual, and perhaps he may be. But I wouldn't believe anything he says while campaigning!

Of course he didn't endorse Trump. That would've upset his Establishment backers.

unfortunately [because i can't stand cruz, the only candidate i opposed more than tRump] i believe it will have the opposite effect
this will be found to be the successful opening salvo of his 2020 candidacy
tRump will fail, and cruz will claim to have predicted it
and the right wingers - few of whom are tRumpettes - will clamor to support cruz' presidential bid

Yeah, it could end up working out that way. At this point, no one really knows.
Cruz will have to go through Ryan to get the nomination - that won't be easy!

Of course he didn't endorse Trump. That would've upset his Establishment backers.

The establishment backers who are endorsing Trump...............?

Has this ever happened before? A speaker at a convention NOT endorsing the nominee?

The establishment backers who are endorsing Trump...............?

Cruz's establishment backers would've been upset with Cruz if he had endorsed Trump.

"I'm a Christian first, American second" is how many Christians feel. Their religion is more important to them than loyalty to their country. Nothing wrong with that. That doesn't mean they want America to be a theocracy. I've never heard Ted Cruz say anything remotely close to wanting the country to be a theocracy. If he has said that or ever says it in the future, I would never, ever vote for him.

Why? Don't you have anything or anyone you're more loyal to than your government?
I'm Catholic, and I fully understand Josie's sentiment here.

But Hari is right in that this will not fly when you're running for the highest office in the government.

N.B. JFK's public speech declaring his fidelity to the Constitution and Republic over the Papacy, back in his 1960 campaign.

Cruz will have to go through Ryan to get the nomination - that won't be easy!

Depending on how much of a grudge Ryan and the rest of the establishment political elite of Republican party, he may just have made that all the more difficult.

Here's my question ---- does the nominee and party have to approve the speeches?

There's some talk out there that the speech he gave tonight wasn't the speech he showed the RNC beforehand.

Depending on how much of a grudge Ryan and the rest of the establishment political elite of Republican party, he may just have made that all the more difficult.
Good point.

There's some talk out there that the speech he gave tonight wasn't the speech he showed the RNC beforehand.

Well wouldn't that be exactly like what the Cruz we know and hate would do.....

HATE, yes HATE....the value of hate is no longer properly appreciated.

Cruz can GO **** HIMSELF!

I HATE him.

For life.

:yes:

Last edited:
I was wondering about that.

If true, all I can say is: "Yowsa"!

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 10m10 minutes ago
Wow, Ted Cruz got booed off the stage, didn't honor the pledge! I saw his speech two hours early but let him speak anyway. No big deal!

That's fine if you wanna be a normal every day Christian. However, when you are running to be the President of the United States, which is not a Christian nation(no matter who wants to say it is), you need to put the country first over what your religious text said. I doubt many people would be okay if Obama said, I am a Muslim first, and an American second. In fact, people would probably call for his impeachment. I simply don't trust someone that says things like that to uphold the Constitution. If he is going to follow the Bible over the laws of the land, he can stay a lowly citizen and do it in the privacy of his own home/church.

Back
Top Bottom