• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Technology and Learning-The cheapest way to get a good education

128shot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Well,

I've been looking for things that are free, other than teh library to learn new things (such as math, I'm really really bad at math, and I'd like to learn programming, for example) and I stumbled across this.

free-ed.net

its a great resource, but sometimes this won't cut it.

Anyone here know any good free or justified payable sites or are we going have to stay traditional ?

You can probably get good training anywhere, but a good education consists of more than job skills.
I received great technical training while in the Navy, but there is more to life than having a job. Just as it is good to study physics to get an understanding of how things work, it is good to study a little psychology to get a good understanding how people work, and sociology for how groups of people work, and history to understand how sometimes individuals and groups don't work together very well.
A lot of that stuff, tho, is easily obtained by watching TV, but not the reality shows, please. Watch History Channel, Discovery Science, PBS, National Geographic, etc. Some of their shows are fluff, but there are still plenty of good shows that will teach you stuff that you would otherwise have to attend college to learn.
Doing it this way is easy, informative, entertaining, and cheap, and probably more reliable than what that damn liberal biased college professor is going to try to get you to believe.;)

128shot said:
Well,

I've been looking for things that are free, other than teh library to learn new things (such as math, I'm really really bad at math, and I'd like to learn programming, for example) and I stumbled across this.

free-ed.net

its a great resource, but sometimes this won't cut it.

Anyone here know any good free or justified payable sites or are we going have to stay traditional ?

That's a great little URL. I listened to a matrix algebra lecture by an MIT professor with great interest. I already knew most of it, but I did pick up a couple of insights. You can pick up quite a bit with the canned stuff and you might even think you know it thoroughly, but I think you've got to mix a bit of traditional teaching, whether in classroom or discussion with others, to really deep down know stuff.

Back
Top Bottom