• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Team Obama Moves US Naval Forces Closer to Syria.....

Good afternoon MMC - clearly, Iran doesn't take a back seat to anyone when it comes to empty rhetoric. Perhaps Kim in North Korea will chime in next.

Heya CJ. :2wave: Thanks for checking it out. Well you see what the problems the West is looking at. Hagel says we are ready to go at Obama's request. Plus France is really pushing the issue against Assad. Despite chems found in the rebels camp.

They still don't get that part about the majority of Rebels wont accept Idris and the FSA with the MB and Salafist backers.

Heya CJ. :2wave: Thanks for checking it out. Well you see what the problems the West is looking at. Hagel says we are ready to go at Obama's request. Plus France is really pushing the issue against Assad. Despite chems found in the rebels camp.

They still don't get that part about the majority of Rebels wont accept Idris and the FSA with the MB and Salafist backers.

The one thing about weak leaders issuing empty threats is that sometimes, usually the wrong times, they follow through on them. This may be one of those cases and it would be a huge mistake, in my view. Syria is virtually if not literally of no strategic value to the west. They should not become involved, in my view, unless Turkey, through NATO, requests assistance.

Not to mention that Al Nusra and others have already stated they wont allow the FSA to set up any Government. They are going to implement Sharia. Which they themselves have the backing of 29 opposition groups and civilian committees. Then there is the Syrian Kurds who are fighting against Al Nusra and their likes.

Then just like in Egypt when the Sunni Rebels get upset and lose. They then go out and massacre and kill Christians just to get back Assad. It looks like Syria is breaking into 3 parts each with their own controlled area.

I say we stay out of it and let them fight it out. In the End see which 3 will Rise up to control which region. We need to know who we are dealing with. Which isn't happening now with Idris and the FSA. The don't can't even lie well or with a straight face.

There are many moving parts here. I'll start with what I'm pretty sure of.
--The time to leverage intervention to maximum effect was about two years ago.
--The Iranians no doubt put out their statement at least in part to mock BHO.
--Overthrow of the Asad regime in Syria, regardless who or what replaces it, would be a devastating strategic defeat for Iran and Hezbollah.
--The US therefore should favor the destruction of the Asad regime, regardless of who or what replaces it.

Now for the opinions I hold but am less sure of.
--Syria is not a country/society in which an extremist Islamic regime could really take root.
--The Gulf state backers of the rebels won't support an extremist Islamic outcome.

Therefore, I believe the US should increase support to the rebels and respond to the regime's CW attack with a pretty severe dose of air power and cruise missiles.:peace

--Overthrow of the Asad regime in Syria, regardless who or what replaces it, would be a devastating strategic defeat for Iran and Hezbollah.
--The US therefore should favor the destruction of the Asad regime, regardless of who or what replaces it.

--Syria is not a country/society in which an extremist Islamic regime could really take root.
--The Gulf state backers of the rebels won't support an extremist Islamic outcome.

Therefore, I believe the US should increase support to the rebels and respond to the regime's CW attack with a pretty severe dose of air power and cruise missiles.:peace

Heya JH. :2wave: Well.....I was going with the articles they had up with Al Nusra and a few others. Already they are saying each area is pretty much dividing up. Plus the Kurds themselves have a very Extreme Islamist group in their ranks.

What do you think about the MB and the Salafists backing Idris and the FSA?

Heya JH. :2wave: Well.....I was going with the articles they had up with Al Nusra and a few others. Already they are saying each area is pretty much dividing up. Plus the Kurds themselves have a very Extreme Islamist group in their ranks.

What do you think about the MB and the Salafists backing Idris and the FSA?

I think that all parties are speaking tactically right now.:peace

The one thing about weak leaders issuing empty threats is that sometimes, usually the wrong times, they follow through on them. This may be one of those cases and it would be a huge mistake, in my view. Syria is virtually if not literally of no strategic value to the west. They should not become involved, in my view, unless Turkey, through NATO, requests assistance.

I think so to.....all of this has spilled over into Iraq as well. With both killing each other inside Iraq. Plus now a migration of Kurds has swarmed out of Syria. That map shows what the difficulties are. No matter who the players are.

Like you I see that we do not have any Real National Security issues here other than by proxy over Iran.

Also the French aren't harping about all the killing the Rebels are doing and nor is the UK.

The destruction of the Asad regime would be a significant strategic defeat for Iran and Hezbollah, and is therefore much in the strategic interest of the US.:peace

The destruction of the Asad regime would be a significant strategic defeat for Iran and Hezbollah, and is therefore much in the strategic interest of the US.:peace

Yes, but the MB and their Proxy Hamas will still be round and that presents a major problem for the West.

But Now of 2 our TOP Lawmakers are saying we should jump now. Although the press makes it sound like ALL of our Top Lawmakers. :shock:

Top lawmakers call for military response in Syria.....

Two top lawmakers are calling for an immediate U.S. military response to the Syria's suspected chemical weapons attack that killed at least a hundred civilians last week.

Republican Sen. Bob Corker is calling for the U.S. to respond in a "surgical and proportional way, something that gets their attention." The Tennessee lawmaker says such a response should not involve U.S. troops on the ground, however.

Democrat Rep. Eliot Engel of New York says the U.S. must respond "quickly," together with NATO allies, possibly using cruise missile strikes, as the U.S. and NATO did in Libya.

Corker and Engel appeared on "Fox News Sunday.".....snip~

Top lawmakers call for military response in Syria

I'm pasting this reply from another thread. Strategic interests, my ass.

Read this whole story and keep in mind the US Media will promote the agenda that is good for USA business. That'd be the Business of War and sales of arms, developments of ports, pipelines, etc. Let's not let the Mainstream Media snooker us again. Look for the facts.

Syrian rebels manufactured chemical weapons outside Damascus - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video
Syrian rebels manufactured chemical weapons outside Damascus - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

"The Syrian military found chemical weapons in the rebels’ tunnel located in the Jobar suburb of Damascus. Later the Syrian state TV showed the discovered poisonous agents and medical drugs.

Journalist Yara Saleh of the Al-Ihbariya Syrian information channel provided The Voice of Russia with more details about this discovery.

“The rebels launched two missiles filled with poisonous gas in the Jobar neighbourhood which caused Syrian soldiers’ nausea and asphyxia.

Some time later when the Syrian army managed to take that suburb by storm they found the warehouse and laboratory where shells were stored and stuffed with poisonous agents. Boxes with new gas masks were also found, they carried labels ‘Made in US’. The fact that the rebels did not use those gas masks proves that they had not been attacked with any poisonous gases.

Two glass vessels with labels ‘Made in Saudi Arabia’ were also found there. Weapons and explosives made in Saudi Arabia were found in Syria in the past as well. Experts will determine the contents of those vessels.

In addition, they found plastic vessels containing unidentified chemicals, some strange white powder and a lot of various explosives and munitions.

The Syrian government is concerned that the rebels might have more stocks of such chemical agents that they could use against civilians.”

On the 21st of August 2013 several western and Arab TV channels reported that chemical agents had been used in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar. According to the media, between 20 and 625 people died as a result of an attack with the use of shells containing the sarin nerve gas
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_08_25/Syrian-rebels-manufactured-chemical-weapons-outside-Damascus-8968/"

Last edited:
Yes, but the MB and their Proxy Hamas will still be round and that presents a major problem for the West.

But Now of 2 our TOP Lawmakers are saying we should jump now. Although the press makes it sound like ALL of our Top Lawmakers. :shock:

Two top lawmakers are calling for an immediate U.S. military response to the Syria's suspected chemical weapons attack that killed at least a hundred civilians last week.

Republican Sen. Bob Corker is calling for the U.S. to respond in a "surgical and proportional way, something that gets their attention." The Tennessee lawmaker says such a response should not involve U.S. troops on the ground, however.

Democrat Rep. Eliot Engel of New York says the U.S. must respond "quickly," together with NATO allies, possibly using cruise missile strikes, as the U.S. and NATO did in Libya.

Saudis and Gulf Arabs are acting against MB in Egypt; they'll do the same in Syria, after Asad is gone.:peace

Read this whole story and keep in mind the US Media will promote the agenda that is good for USA business. That'd be the Business of War and sales of arms, developments of ports, pipelines, etc. Let's not let the Mainstream Media snooker us again. Look for the facts.

"The Syrian military found chemical weapons in the rebels’ tunnel located in the Jobar suburb of Damascus. Later the Syrian state TV showed the discovered poisonous agents and medical drugs.

Journalist Yara Saleh of the Al-Ihbariya Syrian information channel provided The Voice of Russia with more details about this discovery.

“The rebels launched two missiles filled with poisonous gas in the Jobar neighbourhood which caused Syrian soldiers’ nausea and asphyxia.

Some time later when the Syrian army managed to take that suburb by storm they found the warehouse and laboratory where shells were stored and stuffed with poisonous agents. Boxes with new gas masks were also found, they carried labels ‘Made in US’. The fact that the rebels did not use those gas masks proves that they had not been attacked with any poisonous gases.

Two glass vessels with labels ‘Made in Saudi Arabia’ were also found there. Weapons and explosives made in Saudi Arabia were found in Syria in the past as well. Experts will determine the contents of those vessels.

In addition, they found plastic vessels containing unidentified chemicals, some strange white powder and a lot of various explosives and munitions.

The Syrian government is concerned that the rebels might have more stocks of such chemical agents that they could use against civilians.”

On the 21st of August 2013 several western and Arab TV channels reported that chemical agents had been used in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar. According to the media, between 20 and 625 people died as a result of an attack with the use of shells containing the sarin nerve gas
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_08_25/Syrian-rebels-manufactured-chemical-weapons-outside-Damascus-8968/"

The destruction of the Asad regime remains much in US interest regardless of anything that has happened with chemical weapons. Beyond that, there's no credibility at all in anything put out by Russian media.:peace

Heya DF. :2wave: Here it was from the Syrians. had it up on page 2. ;)

Syria warns US not to intervene militarily.....

The Syrian government accused rebels of using chemical weapons Saturday and warned the United States not to launch any military action against Damascus over an alleged chemical attack last week, saying such a move would set the Middle East ablaze.

The accusations by the regime of President Bashar Assad against opposition forces came as an international aid group said it has tallied 355 deaths from a purported chemical weapons attack on Wednesday in a suburb of the Syrian capital known as Ghouta

Violence in Syria has already spilled over the past year to Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. Battle-hardened Hezbollah fighters have joined the combat alongside Assad's forces.

"The basic repercussion would be a ball of fire that would burn not only Syria but the whole Middle East," al-Zoubi said in an interview with Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV. "An attack on Syria would be no easy trip."

In Tehran, Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman, Abbas Arakji, warned that an American military intervention in Syria will "complicate matters."

Al-Zoubi blamed the rebels for the chemical attacks in Ghouta, saying that the Syrian government had proof of their responsibility but without giving details. "The rockets were fired from their positions and fell on civilians. They are responsible," he said.

With the pressure increasing, Syria's state media accused rebels in the contested district of Jobar near Damascus of using chemical weapons against government troops Saturday.

State TV broadcast images of plastic jugs, gas masks, vials of an unspecified medication, explosives and other items that it said were seized from rebel hideouts Saturday.

One barrel had "made in Saudi Arabia" stamped on it. The TV report also showed medicines said to be produced by a Qatari-German medical supplies company. Qatar and Saudi Arabia are strong supporters of the Syrian rebels. The report could not be immediately verified.

An army statement issued late Saturday said the discovery of the weapons "is clear evidence that these gangs are using chemical weapons against our people and soldiers with help from foreign sides."

The state news agency said several government troops who took part in the Jobar offensive experienced severe trouble breathing or even "suffocation" after "armed terrorist groups used chemical weapons." It was not clear what was meant by "suffocation," and the report mentioned no fatalities among the troops.

"The Syrian Army achieved major progress in the past days and for that reason, the terrorist groups used chemical weapons as their last card," state TV said. The government refers to rebels fighting to topple Assad as "terrorists."

"Our troops did not suffer body wounds," the officer said. "I believe terrorist groups used special substances that are poisonous in an attempt to affect this advance."

Al-Mayadeen aired interviews with two soldiers hospitalized for possible chemical weapons attack. The two appeared unharmed but were undergoing tests.

"We were advancing and heard an explosion that was not very strong," a soldier said from his bed. "Then there was a strange smell, my eyes and head ached and I struggled to breathe." The other soldier also said he experienced trouble breathing after the explosion.

In Turkey, top Syrian rebel commander Salim Idris told reporters that opposition forces did not use chemical weapons on Saturday and that "the regime is lying.".....snip~

Syria warns US not to intervene militarily

The destruction of the Asad regime remains much in US interest regardless of anything that has happened with chemical weapons. Beyond that, there's no credibility at all in anything put out by Russian media.:peace

Then the Russian media is about as credible as the US Mainstream Media. Let's face fact.

Saudis and Gulf Arabs are acting against MB in Egypt; they'll do the same in Syria, after Asad is gone.:peace

That's one of the problems now. They are already doing it to them.

Syria's Muslim Brotherhood faces uphill battle.....

For Syria's banned Muslim Brotherhood, the uprising against President Bashar Assad that erupted amid Arab Spring revolts in 2011 provided a long-sought opportunity to stage a comeback after decades spent in exile.

Thirty years earlier, the group's own violent uprising against Assad's father, the late Hafez Assad, was brutally crushed, culminating in an infamous massacre in the city of Hama that ended with the group's leadership killed, imprisoned or exiled.

Amid the chaos of the current revolt, the group quickly emerged as the best organized of Assad's political opponents, and is playing an increasingly active role on the ground by providing assistance to military brigades it supports.

The downfall of the Brotherhood in Egypt has shaken its Syrian counterpart and deepened distrust of the secretive movement by other Syrians who are suspicious of its religious agenda.

Inside Syria, the group faces an uphill battle trying to rebuild its base with the young revolutionaries of today, many of whom view its leadership as aging and out of touch after years away from the country. Moreover, the self-described moderate Islamic group faces fierce competition from better equipped hard-line Salafi fighters and al-Qaida extremists who have emerged as a major force among the ranks of the rebels.

"Despite its rich history of involvement in Syrian politics, for some, the Brotherhood continues to be viewed as a foreign entity merely representing a local branch of the Egyptian movement," said Raphael Lefevre, a visiting fellow at the Carnegie Middle East Center and author of the book "Ashes of Hama: The Muslim Brotherhood in Syria."

Leaders of the Syrian Brotherhood and activists inside Syria say the group has been actively working in that direction. In addition to its pivotal role in shaping and influencing the opposition abroad, it has stepped up relief assistance to rebel-held areas inside the country and its leaders have made several trips to opposition areas in the north in an attempt to reconnect with residents in Idlib and Aleppo provinces, once considered strongholds of the group.

In February, the group launched al-Ahed, a newspaper which now distributes 10,000 copies bi-weekly in opposition territory. Sheik Hatem al-Tabshi, head of the Brotherhood's Shura Council, preaches in the city of Maarat al-Numan and is seen in videos holding meetings with fighters in the area.

Most significantly, an umbrella group of brigades known as the "Shields of the Revolution" has emerged as a military force closely affiliated with the group, although Brotherhood officials deny any formal ties. Activists, however, say the group is preparing to formally launch its military branch in the country.

Tensions within the opposition peaked in March, with critics claiming the Brotherhood orchestrated the election of Ghassan Hitto, a little-known figure, as interim prime minister for the opposition.

About a dozen members of the Coalition suspended their membership a day after Hitto was elected, prompting the Brotherhood's general leader, Mohammad Riad al-Shaqfa, to hold a rare press conference in which he denied the accusations. Since then, the Coalition has been expanded to dilute the influence of the Brotherhood and Hitto has stepped down. Qatar, a main supporter of the group, has taken a back seat in favor of Saudi Arabia in dealing with the Syrian opposition.....snip~

Syria's Muslim Brotherhood faces uphill battle

http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle-east/170377-syria-chemical-weapon-4.html

Would this situation be different if BHO had been more decisive then rather than now? I say Yes, now we are confronted with a possible international conflagration. Are we on the brink of WWIII thanks to foreign policy ignorance and incompetence?

Would this situation be different if BHO had been more decisive then rather than now? I say Yes, now we are confronted with a possible international conflagration. Are we on the brink of WWIII thanks to foreign policy ignorance and incompetence?

It's not about politics. It's about the Military/Industrial/Corporate ginnin' up mo' business for the largest arms merchants and energy distributors in the World. Jus' bidness'.

WW3? No. But the situation was more malleable two years ago. The moment was missed.

At one time Syria and Iran appeared to be very close but now we hear little of Iranian statements or involvement, or at least I'm not aware of it. Shouldn't they at least be the baby elephant in the room?

At one time Syria and Iran appeared to be very close but now we hear little of Iranian statements or involvement, or at least I'm not aware of it. Shouldn't they at least be the baby elephant in the room?

Iran remains Asad's primary sponsor and a major arms supplier. Syria is the primary conduit for Iran to support Hezbollah in Lebanon.:peace

Team Obama has decided to move US Warships Closer to Syria.....this would be so that Cruise Missiles can be used if we should need to strike for some reason. If I was the Russians.....I would move in my Ships and set a blockade on the US. Thus putting an end to any US intervention Military Wise. Putin should even inform Obama you fire one cruise missile.....and I will knock it Right out of the Sky. I told you once already.....Don't make me tell you again. You will not be allowed to give Syria to the Sunni Arabs and the MB. Your Move! Course that wont happen as the Russians are wussin out.

I think we will be seeing the same set up as they did with Libya. Since the French are incapable and to incompetent to take Assad on themselves. Pretty much like the Sunni Rebels. Totally incompetent and that's with direct supervision and hands on training. So With a short amount of time. I think the NO Fly Zone Rule will be implemented. Then the West will come in take out Assad forces so that the Sunni Syrian Rebels can continue to commit genocide and be given the country, with their MB backers.

The only way it wont happen.....is if Russia sets a blockade or Puts their Air Force in to Support Assad. Anything short of this. Then We will end up giving Syria to the Sunni on a Silver platter. Which 20 -30 years down the road. We will have to go and take everything back from the Sunni since they will produce their end results. Proving they were always an enemy to Western Civilization.....despite whatever they said out of their mouths. Actions speak louder than words. We have their actions recorded down for all of History.

US forces move closer to Syria as options weighed

U.S. naval forces are moving closer to Syria as President Barack Obama considers military options for responding to the alleged use of chemical weapons by the Assad government. The president emphasized that a quick intervention in the Syrian civil war was problematic, given the international considerations that should precede a military strike.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel declined to discuss any specific force movements while saying that Obama had asked the Pentagon to prepare military options for Syria. U.S. defense officials told The Associated Press that the Navy had sent a fourth warship armed with ballistic missiles into the eastern Mediterranean Sea but without immediate orders for any missile launch into Syria.

U.S. Navy ships are capable of a variety of military action, including launching Tomahawk cruise missiles, as they did against Libya in 2011 as part of an international action that led to the overthrow of the Libyan government.

Obama remained cautious about getting involved in a war that has killed more than 100,000 people and now includes Hezbollah and al-Qaida. He made no mention of the "red line" of chemical weapons use that he marked out for Syrian President Bashar Assad a year ago and that U.S. intelligence says has been breached at least on a small scale several times since.

"If the U.S. goes in and attacks another country without a U.N. mandate and without clear evidence that can be presented, then there are questions in terms of whether international law supports it — do we have the coalition to make it work?" Obama said Friday. "Those are considerations that we have to take into account."

Obama conceded in an interview on CNN's "New Day" program that the episode is a "big event of grave concern" that requires American attention. He said any large-scale chemical weapons usage would affect "core national interests" of the United States and its allies. But nothing he said signaled a shift toward U.S. action.

U.S. defense officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss ship movements publicly. But if the U.S. wants to send a message to Assad, the most likely military action would be a Tomahawk missile strike, launched from a ship in the Mediterranean.....snip~

US forces move closer to Syria as options weighed

Think Obama will go back with taking the Mantle.....Tomahawk Barack?

It seems that Obama has forgotten that he already abandoned the Middle East. America no longer has any credibility in that part of the world.

The Russians have filled the vacume that Obama created.

The right wing had 2 terms ...and could not get Bin Laden
Obama took him down in his very first term.

The right wing are now embracing Vldimir Putin and Assad ......why in the world would Obama listen to you people for advice on foreign policy??:roll:

The right wing had 2 terms ...and could not get Bin Laden
Obama took him down in his very first term.

The right wing are now embracing Vldimir Putin and Assad ......why in the world would Obama listen to you people for advice on foreign policy??:roll:

What are you talking about? Johnny Quest McCain, and Graham have been pushing to go into Syria from the start. Both Neo cons and Neo Libs have been saying so from the start.

Then ya really should read back in the thread. Post 33. :roll:

But Now of 2 our TOP Lawmakers are saying we should jump now. Although the press makes it sound like ALL of our Top Lawmakers.

McCain can run around and do and say what he wants. Anybody paying attention can see Obama don't give a dam about his opinion.
Obama got Bin Laden ....through thoughtful decisions he made....and I trust him to do the same here.

Look ...you guys ran the ship for 8 years ....you messed up Iraq ...cost the country $Trillions ...and you didn't get Bin Laden.
Obama has wasted a lot of capital cleaning up your mess....the last thing he's going to do is listen to any right wing goon.

STFU and watch somebody with some intelligence operate....shut and watch and you might learn something

McCain can run around and do and say what he wants. Anybody paying attention can see Obama don't give a dam about his opinion.
Obama got Bin Laden ....through thoughtful decisions he made....and I trust him to do the same here.

Look ...you guys ran the ship for 8 years ....you messed up Iraq ...cost the country $Trillions ...and you didn't get Bin Laden.
Obama has wasted a lot of capital cleaning up your mess....the last thing he's going to do is listen to any right wing goon.

STFU and watch somebody with some intelligence operate....shut and watch and you might learn something

"Say What".....McCain just sided with Obama. You must not have been listening to closely. Try again.

What you still haven't figured out there is no difference between and Neo Cons and Neo Libs......huh? Moreover anytime a Democrat is in the White House means **** always has to be cleaned up behind them from the previous decade.

The only thing that really needs to take place is to make sure the MS media just isn't listening to all the touchy feely Sheep. Who have no business nor the cojones to be telling their Superiors to STFU.

Back
Top Bottom