• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teaching cursive handwriting

Should kids still be taught how to write in cursive?

• Absolutely - it's very important

• Yes - it's not the most important thing, but it's a necessary skill

• Yes - but it's not the most important thing or a necessary skill - it's an extra fun thing to learn

• Maybe - I can could take it or leave it

• No - it's not necessary or important

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
You have not given a single reason why it isn't obsolete. I have provided several why it is.

There is not a single instance where cursive is necessary, or objectively preferable.

You suddenly don't want to discuss the topic you're discussing?

it is clear we have difference of opinion on the topic. You will not convince me or I convince you.

it is clear we have difference of opinion on the topic. You will not convince me or I convince you.

That's probably true. That's not the point, though. The point is to debate. :)

That's probably true. That's not the point, though. The point is to debate. :)
Then have at it.
Besides obsolete. Why not cursive handwriting?

Then have at it.
Besides obsolete. Why not cursive handwriting?

Why does there need to be another reason?

You don't need to use cursive writing in any part of your life. It's a good thing to learn because it builds up different muscles in your hand, but it's not necessary to succeed in life.

Cursive is racist, same as math and science is racist.

Who didn't get the memo yet?
The right wing victim complex is just reflexive at this point, they'll invent persecution in literally everything.

Yes it should be taught. There have been studies that show that at least some people retain information better if they write it by hand as opposed typing. As well some people have claimed that writing notes by hand - as in while attending a lecture - forces one to actually think about the material and copy down the salient points instead of just typing verbatim what’s said.

Why does there need to be another reason?

You don't need to use cursive writing in any part of your life. It's a good thing to learn because it builds up different muscles in your hand, but it's not necessary to succeed in life.
Do you print your signature on legal documents or sign your name (cursive)

I take it you would be ok with a printed name as proof you signed the documents. Or maybe a blood sample (dna) could be used.

Do you print your signature on legal documents or sign your name (cursive)

I take it you would be ok with a printed name as proof you signed the documents. Or maybe a blood sample (dna) could be used.

I use cursive, but it's not required. Some people print, some people scribble, some people write perfectly formed D'Nealian letters. Any way --- it's how you sign your name. Over the years, my signature has gone from really slow and pretty to very fast and scribbly.

I use cursive, but it's not required. Some people print, some people scribble, some people write perfectly formed D'Nealian letters. Any way --- it's how you sign your name. Over the years, my signature has gone from really slow and pretty to very fast and scribbly.
my signature has changed as I aged.

I also learned to type when I was in high school in the mid 60's.
My take cursive is just another skill to learn. Just like typing or anything else that challenges the brain.

Now if only we can teach some younger people to make proper change when they messed up entering an amount in the cash register.
(ex: purchase total $9.02. Hand over $20 and 02cents. The employee enters $20 and forgets to enter the 02. They can't seem to figure out they own $11 back and not $10.98 . They look at the computer screen for the answer. :giggle:

my signature has changed as I aged.

I also learned to type when I was in high school in the mid 60's.
My take cursive is just another skill to learn. Just like typing or anything else that challenges the brain.

I agree. And some skills aren't as necessary as they once were.

Why does how your letters are formed make a difference? Why is cursive superior to print in your mind?
When used constantly its a faster form of writing. That said I personally consider it a basic skill to master so that one may be able to decipher correspondence written previously and to write in a more personal fashion when the occasion calls for it such as personal thank you notes and letters. Think of it as the written version of manners and grace. Mastery of such social skills allow one more latitude and open more opportunities. The skill also translate well into the art of Calligraphy.

Back
Top Bottom