• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teaching cursive handwriting

Should kids still be taught how to write in cursive?

• Absolutely - it's very important

• Yes - it's not the most important thing, but it's a necessary skill

• Yes - but it's not the most important thing or a necessary skill - it's an extra fun thing to learn

• Maybe - I can could take it or leave it

• No - it's not necessary or important

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Should kids still be taught to write using cursive handwriting? Please vote in the poll and leave your comment as well!

Yes .

But it probably will not happen for some time and not until old values have been re-assessed and understood by people with high IQ and laced with perspective and wisdom .

Probably a new cream stream will embrace but the Sheeple will never comprehend its value .

Yes .

But it probably will not happen for some time and not until old values have been re-assessed and understood by people with high IQ and laced with perspective and wisdom .

Probably a new cream stream will embrace but the Sheeple will never comprehend its value .

?

I remember my second grade teacher saying we needed to learn to write in cursive so we could write college papers in the future. Of course, no one wanted anything but papers typed in Times New Roman via Microsoft Word by the time my college years rolled around. I think cursive has gone the way of calligraphy in the sense that it’s a neat skill to have but it’s completely unnecessary in the digital era.

Yes .

Um............... what?

Should kids still be taught to write using cursive handwriting? Please vote in the poll and leave your comment as well!
Cursive is the basis of the signature.

The signature is required on contracts.

I don't think we need to go back to the Old West thing of "Just put your mark on this here paper."

At any rate, I don't really see a point in teaching cursive anymore, unless perhaps bundled in with calligraphy and other artsy-craftsy type things.

It's increasingly like teaching old forms of English. Why, unless it relates to some specialty? I wouldn't be surprised if most people had trouble reading cursive, let alone remembering how to write in it.

Perhaps yank that, move some things forward, and start including things that people seem woefully ignorant of, like statistics, basic micro/macro economics, etc.

I don't think we need to go back to the Old West thing of "Just put your mark on this here paper."

We need to spend all that time teaching kids to use a writing style they'll never use outside of school (unless, like calligraphy, it becomes a hobby) because of signatures?

Cursive....because signatures?

Signatures, which are more or less "leave your mark" for most people anyway?

I think a basic schooling in cursive handwriting is nice, at least to be able to sign your own signature or write a nice card. However, touch typing is far more important and should take a much greater priority and get more training.

A signature can be printed. It's just how you choose to sign your name.

If there is nothing better to use the time to teach, sure. However, I can think of about a million things more important to teach...

I bought this up a few days ago when I asked a friend if his kids were being taught cursive in school, I pointed out that almost all forms you fill out have two spaces. Print your name, followed by Write your name. He said the kids were not taught cursive as a whole but they were taught how to write their name in cursive for the reason I stated.

Back in the one room shack that I walked uphill, both ways to, cursive was taught so that you could communicate via the written word. Printing and numbers were more heavily relied on in a 7th or 8th grade drafting class. The one thing I remember from drafting was my number eights. Prior to drafting, I drew it as a skater would skate it and after I used two lower case “O” the lower being just a bit larger.

Is it still taught? Kinda like the manual shift thing, start on a manual and you can always transition to an automatic. The reverse not so much.

If the power ever goes off for a significant period, we are so ****ed.

What is taught as far as written communication?

@Josie ^^^^question is for you.

Of cousre not.

Why is anyone even questioning this is a much better question. (BTW, I know why why, you don't) ;)

Back in the one room shack that I walked uphill, both ways to, cursive was taught so that you could communicate via the written word. Printing and numbers were more heavily relied on in a 7th or 8th grade drafting class. The one thing I remember from drafting was my number eights. Prior to drafting, I drew it as a skater would skate it and after I used two lower case “O” the lower being just a bit larger.

Is it still taught? Kinda like the manual shift thing, start on a manual and you can always transition to an automatic. The reverse not so much.

If the power ever goes off for a significant period, we are so ****ed.

What is taught as far as written communication?

@Josie ^^^^question is for you.

Depends on the grade level. Kindergarteners and first graders are taught to print and use a pencil/paper for most of their writing. They'll start to learn how to type and use a computer in kindergarten (at least at my school). Once you get up into the higher grades (third, fourth, etc.) they start to type their stories, essays more.

Depends on the grade level. Kindergarteners and first graders are taught to print and use a pencil/paper for most of their writing. They'll start to learn how to type and use a computer in kindergarten (at least at my school). Once you get up into the higher grades (third, fourth, etc.) they start to type their stories, essays more.
I can still picture my first few classrooms. They had the upper case and lower case letters on a green placard situated along the walls near the ceiling.

I revert to printing if I write something other than my signature.

At any rate, I don't really see a point in teaching cursive anymore, unless perhaps bundled in with calligraphy and other artsy-craftsy type things.
Lame excuse. Why constantly move the goal posts in public elementary education to the lowest common denominator? First it is deleting cursive, then spelling, then grammar, and suddenly you have a generation of near grunting like savages. Heck, many public schools have removed analog clocks in classrooms, because somehow actually teaching children how to tell time is a waste of time in the classroom. Time better spent talking about critical race, systemic racism, and other victim social justice themes.

It's increasingly like teaching old forms of English. Why, unless it relates to some specialty? I wouldn't be surprised if most people had trouble reading cursive, let alone remembering how to write in it.

All you are doing is making children ignorant. So, what about the kid who was never taught cursive who then finds a letter written by his great grandfather to his great grandmother when his great grandfather was fighting in WW2, but now the kid can't even read it, can't experience some small part of knowledge that other intelligent and educated people already know? How does that make for a better educated population? Learning cursive isn't very difficult, it certainly isn't as difficult as learning a foreign language, but we press our children to take on these tasks for their betterment. To achieve things a little harder than just knowing how to turn on a cell phone and look at photos.

When was the last time you needed to solve a quadratic formula in your daily life? Likely never, but you learned how to do in high school in order to advance to the next level, to prove you could commit to a program of bettering yourself, and to rise above and stand apart from others, just so you could advance in life. Because at some point the people who would want to hire you should wonder if you were able to complete a program shouldn't they?

Perhaps yank that, move some things forward, and start including things that people seem woefully ignorant of, like statistics, basic micro/macro economics, etc.r

Cursive is generally MASTERED by the 3rd or 4th grade, which is LONG before kids are being taught statistics, economics, or algebra. Not sure which schools some of you went to where teachers had to spend much time tweaking a student's cursive skills past the 4th grade? By that point the focus in English class or reading classes is on spelling and grammar.

What a sad, sad, state in public education when children have not learned to write a sentence in cursive--- or are able tell time on an analog clock by age 8 or 9.
We need to spend all that time teaching kids to use a writing style they'll never use outside of school (unless, like calligraphy, it becomes a hobby) because of signatures?

I use cursive all the time, for one it is faster when taking notes. Not required, and a personal choice, but still quicker.

Cursive....because signatures?

Signatures, which are more or less "leave your mark" for most people anyway?

Ironic how most of the types of students being "protected" from learning cursive, are very adept at writing their names in all forms of styized letters when they are scrathing them into public restroom mirrors, or tagging them in huge letters with spray paint on the side of a building or wall.

Lame excuse. Why constantly move the goal posts in public elementary education to the lowest common denominator? First it is deleting cursive, then spelling, then grammar, and suddenly you have a generation of near grunting like savages. Heck, many public schools have removed analog clocks in classrooms, because somehow actually teaching children how to tell time is a waste of time in the classroom. Time better spent talking about critical race, systemic racism, and other victim social justice themes.

All you are doing is making children ignorant. So, what about the kid who was never taught cursive who then finds a letter written by his great grandfather to his great grandmother when his great grandfather was fighting in WW2, but now the kid can't even read it, can't experience some small part of knowledge that other intelligent and educated people already know? How does that make for a better educated population? Learning cursive isn't very difficult, it certainly isn't as difficult as learning a foreign language, but we press our children to take on these tasks for their betterment. To achieve things a little harder than just knowing how to turn on a cell phone and look at photos.

When was the last time you needed to solve a quadratic formula in your daily life? Likely never, but you learned how to do in high school in order to advance to the next level, to prove you could commit to a program of bettering yourself, and to rise above and stand apart from others, just so you could advance in life. Because at some point the people who would want to hire you should wonder if you were able to complete a program shouldn't they?

Cursive is generally MASTERED by the 3rd or 4th grade, which is LONG before kids are being taught statistics, economics, or algebra. Not sure which schools some of you went to where teachers had to spend much time tweaking a student's cursive skills past the 4th grade? By that point the focus in English class or reading classes is on spelling and grammar.

What a sad, sad, state in public education when children have not learned to write a sentence in cursive--- or are able tell time on an analog clock by age 8 or 9.

I use cursive all the time, for one it is faster when taking notes. Not required, and a personal choice, but still quicker.

Ironic how most of the types of students being "protected" from learning cursive, are very adept at writing their names in all forms of styized letters when they are scrathing them into public restroom mirrors, or tagging them in huge letters with spray paint on the side of a building or wall.

Why does how your letters are formed make a difference? Why is cursive superior to print in your mind?

The answers are opinions.

Not if you approach the question logically.

Ask yourself, what is the purpose of school?

Then ask yourself, what is teh value of cursive writing.

Now you have an objective template from which to see the obvious answer.

Back
Top Bottom