• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teaching communism in public schools

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Portland Public Schools, the largest school district in Oregon, passed a Resolution on April 19, 2016 that ought to be called ‘How to brainwash 49,000 students and force teachers to teach communism’.

The objectives laid out in this Resolution are startling, revealing and directly aligned with the Green movement’s national plan, now underway, to politically indoctrinate America’s children.

The Portland Public Schools (PPS) Resolution No. 5272 is a “Resolution to Develop an Implementation Plan for Climate Literacy”. This Resolution gained national attention for banning books that question the validity of global warming claims. The Resolution states:

“PPS will abandon the use of any adopted text material that is found to express doubt about the severity of the climate crisis or its root in human activities.”
Holly Swanson -- Teaching Communism In Public Schools

I don't know if its teaching communism, but is certainly is a 1st amendment violation. Looks like liberals have taken a page from the church, ... Let the book burning begin!

Portland Public Schools, the largest school district in Oregon, passed a Resolution on April 19, 2016 that ought to be called ‘How to brainwash 49,000 students and force teachers to teach communism’.

The objectives laid out in this Resolution are startling, revealing and directly aligned with the Green movement’s national plan, now underway, to politically indoctrinate America’s children.

The Portland Public Schools (PPS) Resolution No. 5272 is a “Resolution to Develop an Implementation Plan for Climate Literacy”. This Resolution gained national attention for banning books that question the validity of global warming claims. The Resolution states:

“PPS will abandon the use of any adopted text material that is found to express doubt about the severity of the climate crisis or its root in human activities.”

What does this have to do with communism?

Why would ruin what could be a good conversation on a troubling, reactionary action with a totally irrelevant title?

I don't know if its teaching communism, but is certainly is a 1st amendment violation. Looks like liberals have taken a page from the church, ... Let the book burning begin!

Not just here, look at the lunacy on some college campuses.

They're like the new religious right.

It's about indoctrination and brainwashing.....a la Communism.

Two completely different things, but indoctrination absolutely.

IMO the vast majority of the scientific community supports the carbon emission global warming models but the evidence is still incomplete and as such opposing views should still be discussed.

I have no problem with teaching students about more green and less fossil fuel. The real indoctrination is from the right resisting students being taught about something that will definitely, no matter how much denial on the right, be a big part of our children's future. Take away here, big oil profits.

IMO the vast majority of the scientific community supports the carbon emission global warming models but the evidence is still incomplete and as such opposing views should still be discussed.

Hmmmm....so, a little poking around on the PPS website itself reveals the following link:

http://www.pps.net/cms/lib8/OR01913...AL Climate Change Reso 5.11.16 MR revised.pdf

It appears to me that the resolution, and especially all the language that seems to have Ms. Swanson so upset, was presented to the Board by a group of concerned parents. What the Board actually adopted is described in the very last part of the document at the link, specifically:

1. The Board of Education would like to thank the organizations and community partners that endorsed the resolution that was presented to the Teaching and Learning Committee, and for their activism on climate literacy.

2. Guided by the above recitals, the Board of Education directs the Superintendent in collaboration with PPS students, teachers, and community members to develop an implementation plan so that there is curriculum and educational opportunities that address climate change and climate justice in all Portland Public Schools.

3. The implementation plan should include a review of current textbooks for accuracy around the severity of the climate crisis and the impact of human activities. PPS will abandon the use of any adopted text material that is found to express doubt about the severity of the climate crisis or its root in human activities.

It appears to me that the board adopted some general policies in harmony with the resolution, but not the language of the resolution itself. Nor did they adopt anything that remotely suggests communism.

Edit: Looks like another user found the same link, above.

Don't public school systems usually reflect the opinion of those sending their children to those schools? Portland leans which way politically? So why the surprise. Oh, not communism, but nice bait word to use for the thread. I disagree with their thinking, all ideals should be open to discussion in our schools, it is called a well rounded education, something from the past no matter where you go theses days and for different reasons, depending on the place and beliefs.

PPS will abandon the use of any adopted text material that is found to express doubt about the severity of the climate crisis or its root in human activities.

I don't think its settled enough to make that decision.

ok.....

But these are two completely different things.

The analogy just doesn't work.

ok..

I have no problem with teaching students about more green and less fossil fuel. The real indoctrination is from the right resisting students being taught about something that will definitely, no matter how much denial on the right, be a big part of our children's future. Take away here, big oil profits.

Take away here, a big loss to the world in bi-products of oil.................... and a HUGE increase in the cost of Living, to Every American......... and the rest of the world!

Buffoons on the Left harp on Big Oil....well Big Oil makes the world go round.....starting with all plastics.

People bitching about this seem to have no idea how many bi-products are made from petroleum. Green is good...oil is better in many ways.

Take away here, a big loss to the world in bi-products of oil.................... and HUGE increase in the cost of Living, to Every American......... and the rest of the world!

I'm good with replacing petroleum where possible it is a toxic pollutant and a National security issue as long as we depend on countries that hate us to provide our fuel.

I'm good with replacing petroleum where possible it is a toxic pollutant and a National security issue as long as we depend on countries that hate us to provide our fuel.

And that's the rub. Why should we have to depend on anyone, to provide us with many elements we have right here in the USA?

Big Oil, Bad NRA, Terrible religious people.........there is a pattern here! And I will fight them every step of the way!

next thing you know they will be teaching evolution. Geeze

It's also a violation of accepted scientific method. Open discussion is the basis of peer review.

This is a misleading & sensationalist article title!

Don't public school systems usually reflect the opinion of those sending their children to those schools? Portland leans which way politically? So why the surprise. Oh, not communism, but nice bait word to use for the thread. I disagree with their thinking, all ideals should be open to discussion in our schools, it is called a well rounded education, something from the past no matter where you go theses days and for different reasons, depending on the place and beliefs.

I didn't bait anyone...I just posted an article.

Yes, history and others experiences, make the world go round........but blocking other points of view, is wrong!

Hmmmm....so, a little poking around on the PPS website itself reveals the following link:

http://www.pps.net/cms/lib8/OR01913...AL Climate Change Reso 5.11.16 MR revised.pdf

It appears to me that the resolution, and especially all the language that seems to have Ms. Swanson so upset, was presented to the Board by a group of concerned parents. What the Board actually adopted is described in the very last part of the document at the link, specifically:

1. The Board of Education would like to thank the organizations and community partners that endorsed the resolution that was presented to the Teaching and Learning Committee, and for their activism on climate literacy.

2. Guided by the above recitals, the Board of Education directs the Superintendent in collaboration with PPS students, teachers, and community members to develop an implementation plan so that there is curriculum and educational opportunities that address climate change and climate justice in all Portland Public Schools.

3. The implementation plan should include a review of current textbooks for accuracy around the severity of the climate crisis and the impact of human activities. PPS will abandon the use of any adopted text material that is found to express doubt about the severity of the climate crisis or its root in human activities.

It appears to me that the board adopted some general policies in harmony with the resolution, but not the language of the resolution itself. Nor did they adopt anything that remotely suggests communism.

Edit: Looks like another user found the same link, above.

Yes, there was a big uproar from parents, not reflected in the above statement. And for the record, I fully agree with the article.

I didn't bait anyone...I just posted an article.

Yes, history and others experiences, make the world go round........but blocking other points of view, is wrong!

If you say so.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom