• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teachers Union need to go back to school

Outlook

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Instead of teaching DEI, perhaps the teachers should go back to spelling and geography (learn about other countries).

Instead of teaching DEI, perhaps the teachers should go back to spelling and geography (learn about other countries).

???????????????? if this is how someone criticizes a teacher union. then that someone is reaching, and small minded

???????????????? if this is how someone criticizes a teacher union. then that someone is reaching, and small minded
No, there are other things to criticize the teacher unions for like keeping my healthy low risk grandchildren in spit and snot filled masks for 5-6 hours a day. I also don't forgive the unions for keeping my grandkids at home when one of them required special needs from the school. This teacher union should be ashamed!!!

No, there are other things to criticize the teacher unions for like keeping my healthy low risk grandchildren in spit and snot filled masks for 5-6 hours a day. I also don't forgive the unions for keeping my grandkids at home when one of them required special needs from the school. This teacher union should be ashamed!!!
???????? unions didn't do that

So if one member of a group makes a mistake on Twitter, the whole group should be condemned? You sure you want to do that? Or do you just hate teachers?

Jumping on the bandwagon with out understating the issue leads to these types of unforced errors.

Not all teachers are bad but this one person definitely had a moment of stupidity for all to see.

Jumping on the bandwagon with out understating the issue leads to these types of unforced errors.

Not all teachers are bad but this one person definitely had a moment of stupidity for all to see.
Because the person made a typo?
I totally believe everything you're saying here is true and that there is absolutely no way that reality does not match your comment.

Because the person made a typo?
It’s a little more than using their instead of there. If you want to proclaim your support for a country at least try and get their flag correct.
That kind of error would really impact a student’s grade had they made the same error.

It’s a little more than using their instead of there.
Nah, it really wasn't. It was switching the "i" and the "a" in Ukraine. That's a typo.
If you want to proclaim your support for a country at least try and get their flag correct.
:LOL:

Do you realize how petty this sounds? This thread is nothing more than a transparent method to criticize educators and you're playing into its hands with this phony concern that no one truly cares about.
That kind of error would really impact a student’s grade had they made the same error.
LOL...as a teacher myself, I can assure you it wouldn't. As someone whose father literally taught geography for many years, I can assure you it would not.

so hoping the OP was not taught to conjugate by unionized teachers:

Teachers Union need to go back to school​

Nah, it really wasn't. It was switching the "i" and the "a" in Ukraine. That's a typo.

:LOL:

Do you realize how petty this sounds? This thread is nothing more than a transparent method to criticize educators and you're playing into its hands with this phony concern that no one truly cares about.

LOL...as a teacher myself, I can assure you it wouldn't. As someone whose father literally taught geography for many years, I can assure you it would not.

If you are an educator that doesn’t correct a student’s mistakes then you are not doing your job and doing a disservice to them by not educating them properly. It’s not reasonable to think a student wouldn’t get graded down for showing the wrong flag in a presentation. Most teachers are great but this particular one seemed more concerned about putting something on Twitter than he was at making sure the information was accurate.

Then start a bitch thread about what actually irritates you.

If you are an educator that doesn’t correct a student’s mistakes
Aww, that's adorable how you thought your fallacy of moving the goalposts would go unnoticed! Let's review what you FIRST said:

You: "That kind of error would really impact a student’s grade"

You claimed a student's grade would be "really impact[ed]" if they had made the same mistake. I then pointed out how you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and now you're pretending that you said the student would simply have had their mistakes corrected.

That's not honest way to post. Try a better way.
then you are not doing your job and doing a disservice to them by not educating them properly.
Says the person freaking out about a typo missplacing an i and an a.
It’s not reasonable to think a student wouldn’t get graded down for showing the wrong flag in a presentation.
They didn't show the wrong flag. And you didn't say "get graded down", you said "really impacted". As in a significant grading down. And you're wrong.
Most teachers are great
Indeed we are.
but this particular one seemed more concerned about putting something on Twitter than he was at making sure the information was accurate.
You think holding the flag upside down made his information inaccurate? That logic makes sense to you? Do you also agree Michael Jordan was not the greatest player of all time because he once missed a free throw?

Aww, that's adorable how you thought your fallacy of moving the goalposts would go unnoticed! Let's review what you FIRST said:

You: "That kind of error would really impact a student’s grade"

You claimed a student's grade would be "really impact[ed]" if they had made the same mistake. I then pointed out how you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and now you're pretending that you said the student would simply have had their mistakes corrected.

That's not honest way to post. Try a better way.

Says the person freaking out about a typo missplacing an i and an a.

They didn't show the wrong flag. And you didn't say "get graded down", you said "really impacted". As in a significant grading down. And you're wrong.

Indeed we are.

You think holding the flag upside down made his information inaccurate? That logic makes sense to you? Do you also agree Michael Jordan was not the greatest player of all time because he once missed a free throw?
I think we are not on the same page. I am talking about how the flag was upside down. There is no way an upside down flag , not just a matter of flipping or but you wrote a message on it the wrong way, isn’t going to effect a student’s grade significantly. If you claim it wouldn’t then I feel that is a lie. I can’t figure out why you would defend an error that needs to be corrected.

I think we are not on the same page.
Agreed. I'm being realistic. Let's see if we can get you on my page.
I am talking about how the flag was upside down.
And then said holding the flag upside down somehow made the information inaccurate. Which it didn't.
There is no way an upside down flag , not just a matter of flipping or but you wrote a message on it the wrong way, isn’t going to effect a student’s grade significantly.
Again, speaking as a teacher myself, and having a father who was a geography teacher for many many years, you are wrong.
If you claim it wouldn’t then I feel that is a lie.
It's not a lie. And between the two of us, I have a feeling I'm in a much better position to comment on this.

If there was a 100 point assignment on flags around the world, this would be a 1 or maybe (at most) 2 point reduction.
I can’t figure out why you would defend an error that needs to be corrected.
I'm not defending the error. I'm defending the underlying insinuation that educators are stupid and not to be trusted, which is clearly the intent of this thread. And contributing to the hysterics by making false statements over-inflating the error is not a good look for you.

This is huge news, thankfully DailyCaller doesn’t have an agenda.

Agreed. I'm being realistic. Let's see if we can get you on my page.

And then said holding the flag upside down somehow made the information inaccurate. Which it didn't.

Again, speaking as a teacher myself, and having a father who was a geography teacher for many many years, you are wrong.

It's not a lie. And between the two of us, I have a feeling I'm in a much better position to comment on this.

If there was a 100 point assignment on flags around the world, this would be a 1 or maybe (at most) 2 point reduction.

I'm not defending the error. I'm defending the underlying insinuation that educators are stupid and not to be trusted, which is clearly the intent of this thread. And contributing to the hysterics by making false statements over-inflating the error is not a good look for you.
GTF out of here with a two point deduction for the wrong flag. At this point you I think you’re just doing your best to defend the error this educator made.

???????? unions didn't do that

Really

Really
????? We ALL "influence".............this is not the same.

GTF out of here with a two point deduction for the wrong flag. At this point you I think you’re just doing your best to defend the error this educator made.
Are you serious right now? If I give an assignment to identify the flags of 50 countries and the student gets every other flag correct and the only mistake they make is putting the Ukraine flag upside down, you think that should result in a 10% or more reduction in their grade? Do you know how utterly stupid and unfair that would be?

What you're saying is asinine and appears to come either from a prejudice against education or just a complete lack of ignorance. Either way, take it from me, what you just said is ridiculous.

Are you serious right now? If I give an assignment to identify the flags of 50 countries and the student gets every other flag correct and the only mistake they make is putting the Ukraine flag upside down, you think that should result in a 10% or more reduction in their grade? Do you know how utterly stupid and unfair that would be?

What you're saying is asinine and appears to come either from a prejudice against education or just a complete lack of ignorance. Either way, take it from me, what you just said is ridiculous.
No I am saying if you give a student an assignment to draw you one flag and only one flag and they screw it up yes it should be more than a 10% Deduction. To claim you wouldn’t is asinine. You keep trying to make it about more flag than the one they screwed up. I get it you are a teacher, you come from a family of teachers and will contort yourself into any position to defend this teachers stupid error.
I see your point and if you misspell one word out of a hundred it will have less impact on a grade than if you misspell the only word on a one word test. The saying of you not had one job applies in this case.

No I am saying if you give a student an assignment to draw you one flag and only one flag
What teacher would give an assignment like that, outside of lower elementary?
and they screw it up yes it should be more than a 10% Deduction.
So you're going to punish a 6 year old with a loss of 15% of their grade because they draw it upside down?

Do you really not have any idea how dumb this sounds?
To claim you wouldn’t is asinine.
To claim I would is false. To claim you would is asinine.
You keep trying to make it about more flag than the one they screwed up.
Because we're talking about if this was an assignment and no teacher past the second grade would be likely to give an assignment where you only draw one flag. And just to head off the inevitable "well, she just drew one flag", that Twitter account is a very active account, constantly tweeting and retweeting, etc. So, no, she did not just have one question on her assignment. Furthermore, she even acknowledged her mistake and deleted the tweet.

So what point do you think you're proving taking 15% of her grade for one mistake and a typo amongst the numerous other problems she's working on? How is taking 15% of her grade contributing to her learning something she's already acknowledged and taken steps to address?

That's what I'm getting at...this is just nonsense.
I get it you are a teacher, you come from a family of teachers and will contort yourself into any position to defend this teachers stupid error.
No, I'm telling you my history as a teacher and being from a family of teachers is informing you that your position is ridiculous.
I see your point and if you misspell one word out of a hundred it will have less impact on a grade than if you misspell the only word on a one word test.
Well, there's progress, I suppose.
The saying of you not had one job applies in this case.
Except it doesn't. Hell, the flag isn't even her job. But, for our argument's sake, if we assume it is her job, she's spelling hundreds of words a day...so one misspelled word is not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom