• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

Should traditional gender and marriage roles be taught in school?

• Total voters

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) said grade-school students should be taught classes about traditional gender roles in a floor speech on Tuesday.
"You know, maybe part of the problem is we need to go back into the schools at a very early age, maybe at the grade-school level, and have a class for the young girls and have a class for the young boys and say, you know, this is what’s important," Gingrey said.
Gingrey was speaking is support of the Defense of Marriage Act, currently under review by the Supreme Court.

"This is what a father does that is maybe a little different, maybe a little bit better than the talents that a mom has in a certain area. And the same thing for the young girls, that, you know, this is what a mom does, and this is what is important from the standpoint of that union which we call marriage."

So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?

I don't think it's a bad thing. I think a big problem with our society is how we treat marriage and how people view it. We have rampant divorce, parents that neglect their kids and children raised in this kind of family situation will mimic it when they are adults because that's what they've known as "marriage and family." it degrades society in my opinion and reflects some of our societal problems. The best family unit is one with a mother and father in a healthy marriage. Not to say that single parents are bad, but I think what is best for a child is to have both their father and mother in the home raising them with a strong marriage as a backbone. I have no problems with encouraging this or teaching this in schools.

So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?

Absolutely not. It's a terrible idea for reasons ranging from sexism to exclusion of the increasingly significant chunk of our population that rejects traditional gender roles and marriage.

if you went to a catholic grade school like me, you know the answer is that they already do

Oh, I have problems.

Anecdotally, I'll take my grandfather. You think I'M a chauvanist? He cheated in relationships consistently, including my grandmother. This man would burn the house down if he boiled an egg. He married my grandmother when she was 15 and basically doomed her to housewife status. She died of cancer when she was in her mid-50s and left him completely oblivious in what to do. My aunt would have to come over to cook for him, do his laundry, and any and all domestics that a "woman" does. He then proceeded to marry the first woman that would marry him without anything remotely close to a "bereavement period" observed so he could essentially lock a maid and cook into the shackles of the home in matrimony.

I've done my own laundry since I was 7. I'm a better cook than 95% of the women I know. This is all on top of my extensive academic education and other accomplishments.

Try my pineapple upside down cake and tell me it's woman's work...then you can kiss my ass.

No, because very few children have traditional families anymore. Most have step-families and half-families, some even have things like step-extended families, others have single parent families, and now some have same sex parents and/or other extended family members.

I don't think the schools should be teaching gender rolls at all. They should be teaching the usual RRRs, history, gym, arts, sciences, even woodshop should come back before the public schools find resources to teach "family". That's clearly a family job.

The only reason liberal nonsense is even entertained is because the conservative nonsense is so absurd that it makes it look really smart in contrast. Only thing worse than our public education status quo is to start teaching gender roles...good gods, might as well throw god in too while we're at it (The conservative god of course)

We do unofficially. It is difficult to escape in the classroom. However, after staring at some instructional planning guidelines from 30 years ago, I would not want that to be executed. It's too limiting.

Absolutely not. It's a terrible idea for reasons ranging from sexism to exclusion of the increasingly significant chunk of our population that rejects traditional gender roles and marriage.

The vast majority of what makes up traditional gender roles is not based on sexism.

GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Eh, I dunno. I'm thinking stuff like that might be best left to the parents.

I am, of necessity, not exactly in a "traditional gender role" situation.... been raising a kid with no wife/momma around for most of two decades. Gotta work, cook, clean, parent, all that. You do what needs done regardless of your plumbing.

I might be more enthused about a class that taught middle-schoolers more about how serious marriage and children are, the economic downside of single-parenthood, and all the damage a bad marriage can wreck on the children so enter into all this only with the greatest of care and the most serious mind...

Absolutely, it would solve a lot of problems in this country. The Feminist Movement set us back in morality as women were no longer in the home, Father's are also a problem because they are non-existent in children's lives a lot of the time.

No, because very few children have traditional families anymore. Most have step-families and half-families, some even have things like step-extended families, others have single parent families, and now some have same sex parents and/or other extended family members.

I don't think the schools should be teaching gender rolls at all. They should be teaching the usual RRRs, history, gym, arts, sciences, even woodshop should come back before the public schools find resources to teach "family". That's clearly a family job.

The only gender roles I would explicitly teach would be content-related. So, for instance, in history classrooms, you would need to focus on that. I would also do normative comparisons, so students can see the limitations of assuming that the people of the past were the same as us or different.

Personally I'd disagree, other than the childbirth stuff. That's just physiology.

It's a matter of history, not a matter of opinion, Gipper.

The vast majority of what makes up traditional gender roles is not based on sexism.

I agree that quite a lot of what makes up a traditional gender role is not about sexism, but some of it is.

Eh, I dunno. I'm thinking stuff like that might be best left to the parents.

I am, of necessity, not exactly in a "traditional gender role" situation.... been raising a kid with no wife/momma around for most of two decades. Gotta work, cook, clean, parent, all that. You do what needs done regardless of your plumbing.

I might be more enthused about a class that taught middle-schoolers more about how serious marriage and children are, the economic downside of single-parenthood, and all the damage a bad marriage can wreck on the children so enter into all this only with the greatest of care and the most serious mind...

This I like. I'd rather the class be about the world as it is today and how it could be in their futures.

People that think the man goes out and makes the money while the woman stays home and does his laundry, cooks his food, and raises his kid should get back in their Deloreans, get up to 88 MPH, get struck by lightning, and escape 1955.

Although I will say this, it should be the parent's first and foremost who are teaching their kids about gender roles and family and not the schools. In a perfect world this should be the case. However, I don't have a problem with schools stepping in and encouraging this or discussing it in social studies classes or in other applicable places.

It's a matter of history, not a matter of opinion, Gipper.

Okay, yeah, I give you that - because of the word "tradition".

However, just because something is "traditional", doesn't make it right or best. Lots of tradition in the world's past were needlessly cruel and abhorrent by today's standards and ethics.

Absolutely.

All schools should also have dress codes like either the Catholic schools or the Japanese schools.

Although I will say this, it should be the parent's first and foremost who are teaching their kids about gender roles and family and not the schools. In a perfect world this should be the case. However, I don't have a problem with schools stepping in and encouraging this or discussing it in social studies classes or in other applicable places.

The thing is, though, once you see where little Stacie is going to be "programmed" into going, what she is going to be taught, in comparison with the boys, it's awfully prohibitive. The more explicit it is, the more restrictive their life can get.

Wait, where would the school fall short on traditional gender teaching, such that the public school system would have to "step in" and encourage the traditional gender role? Did you mean exposing children to what gender roles are, and how varied they are, what the trends are, etc.? Or that they should specifically teach traditional marriage/gender roles?

Back
Top Bottom