• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teach Celebrities a Lesson? Arrest Him.

Should Will Smith be arrested?

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Should Will be arrested like any normal person would have been for attacking a person in front of literally tens of millions of people?

I've never heard of 'Will Smith'. However I support the general principle that no one who assaults others should be immune from arrest.

Should Will be arrested like any normal person would have been for attacking a person in front of literally tens of millions of people?
No. He and Rock both acted pretty low class tonight, but Smith apologized and it's all over. No one died. Or even bled. Smith can squirm in embarrassment tomorrow when whatever he had in his system is out and he wakes up and remembers what an ass he made of himself. And Rock deserved it. So it's all good.

I've never heard of 'Will Smith'. However I support the general principle that no one who assaults others should be immune from arrest.
Oh, you should see Men in Black. A classic.

Oh, you should see Men in Black. A classic.
If you say so Mary P. I may give it a look if it turns up on Netflix or HBO. It is several years since I have been to a cinema.

I have heard of Rebecca Ferguson... and you have never heard of a person 100x more famous?

I call bullshit.

In most cases, it is up to the victim if they want to press charges. I see no reason to change that just because it happened to be televised.

I have heard of Rebecca Ferguson... and you have never heard of a person 100x more famous?

I call bullshit.
Do you imagine I care what you "call"? It is a common mistake to over estimate one's importance to others and an indication of baseless vanity.
In most cases, it is up to the victim if they want to press charges. I see no reason to change that just because it happened to be televised.
I think a crime is a crime, quite regardless of what a victim says. If there is sound evidence a perpetrator should be charged. Imo.

I think a crime is a crime, quite regardless of what a victim says. If there is sound evidence a perpetrator should be charged. Imo.
I disagree, preferring the current state of affairs, balanced to allow the victim to get a say.

I disagree, preferring the current state of affairs, balanced to allow the victim to get a say.
Fair enough, though victims cab be bribed, threatened or otherwise manipulated. This is particularly true in domestic violence cases.

Fair enough, though victims cab be bribed, threatened or otherwise manipulated. This is particularly true in domestic violence cases.
In our country, DV cases are the one exception. If a domestic assault has happened, the cop MUST arrest one of them.

Rules for thee and not for me. He is not facing charges.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/live/2022/mar/27/oscars-2022-news-winners-nominations-latest

Will Smith gets paid millions of dollars because of audiences that watch his movies.
With that part of the job is to sit down 1 time/year for a few hours and people can have a laugh at your expense.
Will Smith decided to get up and use violence with millions of people watching this show.

Sometimes you need to know which battles to fight or how you fight them in my opinion.

“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.“ -Warren Buffett

A better idea would have been to use social media and criticize Chris Rock after the show. Probably more people would have supported him.

Last edited:
Good for Will Smith, Rock went to a place he shouldn't have. Smith showed his devotion to his wife, and to him that's worth more than his reputation elsewhere, as it should be IMO.

This Oscars punch 'news' seems to be high up in the schedules of even UK popular media. I suppose we must now accept that the antics of celebrities are of absorbing interest to much of the population. I would say the dim witted half if I wasn't scared of being called elitist or something.

Absolutely that should be aggravated assault.

But I'm wondering if it wasn't staged nobody watches the Oscars it's a drag and nobody cares about scumbags giving other scumbags awards.

This seems more likely to be an effort to generate buzz.

Very true, but substantial safeguards exist against those factors, and after all the police doesn't have to take the victim's opinion into account, if they so decide..
All in all, I think "victims gets a say" systems are superior to more unyielding systems (dura lex, sed lex).

Well have you ever seen a movie with a terrible actor that has a huge ego?

If you said yes then that's every Will Smith movie.

If you say so Mary P. I may give it a look if it turns up on Netflix or HBO. It is several years since I have been to a cinema.
Where I don't care for Will Smith and his role in that movie wasn't particularly good you could have probably replaced him with just about anybody and it would have been fine the movie was rather funny.

The original from about 15-20 years ago I don't know how long ago it was made.

Well have you ever seen a movie with a terrible actor that has a huge ego?

If you said yes then that's every Will Smith movie.
It seems that pretty well all actors, terrible or not, have huge egos. Do any other trades spend so much time giving each other awards?

No. He and Rock both acted pretty low class tonight
What exactly did Chris Rock do that was wrong? He is a comedian HIRED to perform for this "show". He was doing his job and Will Smith acted like a petulant child. If Smith had a personal problem with a "joke" he could have confronted Rock in PRIVATE later on----you know like a GROWN MAN might do.

, but Smith apologized and it's all over.
The only thing that is over is his career. His wife's career has been over for years.

No one died. Or even bled.
So, you don't have a problem with Smith acting like a ghetto thug?

Smith can squirm in embarrassment tomorrow when whatever he had in his system is out and he wakes up and remembers what an ass he made of himself
Adults are usually able to control themselves. Two year olds... well, and Will Smith---- maybe not so much.

. And Rock deserved it. So it's all good.

Funny how liberals think. If Chris Rock would have been making fun of Melania Trump, then they would be fine with that. But don't make fun of some drama queen bald woman or you deserve to be battered in front of millions of people.

It's up to Chris Rock.

Looking at the video, I does appear the Rock kinda knew something was coming. He put his arms down and his face forward. It almost looked like his eyes were shut waiting for it.

Of course, he will NOT be arrested.

We all know the reason.

It's the same reason that so many robbers, sucker punchers, and looters are immune from prosecution nowadays.

I hope the woke Dems are happy at what has happened to the once glamorous Oscars.

Back
Top Bottom