• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teach Celebrities a Lesson? Arrest Him.

Should Will Smith be arrested?

• Total voters
It's up to Chris Rock.

Looking at the video, I does appear the Rock kinda knew something was coming. He put his arms down and his face forward. It almost looked like his eyes were shut waiting for it.
It was planned. A publicity stunt.

Only if Rock wants to press charges. It would appear he doesn't, so end of story.

That seems to make it a matter of Citizen X and not the state who can bring criminal charges. Of course, the reverse is not true - the state will not bring criminal charges based on the wants of Citizen X.

So if the person assaulted refuses for the aggressor to get criminally charged -> the authorities will not charge themselves based on the video?

The priority on who determines if he gets charged goes to:

1. Victim (if they want)?
2. Authorities (if they want)?

What if the authorities want and the victim doesn't or reversed?

What exactly did Chris Rock do that was wrong? He is a comedian HIRED to perform for this "show". He was doing his job and Will Smith acted like a petulant child. If Smith had a personal problem with a "joke" he could have confronted Rock in PRIVATE later on----you know like a GROWN MAN might do.
Smith has been telling Rock for years to leave his wife alone. It’s one thing if you’re laughing with somebody, but laughing at Jada Smith’s medical condition even after repeatedly being told to stop isn’t funny.

Should Will be arrested like any normal person would have been for attacking a person in front of literally tens of millions of people?
Staged bullshit. Why arrest anyone for acting, especially when that's what he does for aliving?

Should Will be arrested like any normal person would have been for attacking a person in front of literally tens of millions of people?
Rock was low class insulting Smith’s wife. My hand wouldn’t have been open.

What exactly did Chris Rock do that was wrong? He is a comedian HIRED to perform for this "show". He was doing his job and Will Smith acted like a petulant child. If Smith had a personal problem with a "joke" he could have confronted Rock in PRIVATE later on----you know like a GROWN MAN might do.

The only thing that is over is his career. His wife's career has been over for years.

So, you don't have a problem with Smith acting like a ghetto thug?

Adults are usually able to control themselves. Two year olds... well, and Will Smith---- maybe not so much.

Funny how liberals think. If Chris Rock would have been making fun of Melania Trump, then they would be fine with that. But don't make fun of some drama queen bald woman or you deserve to be battered in front of millions of people.
Smith’s wife has a disease that’s causing her to lose her hair. He made reference to seeing her in the sequel to movie - that doesn’t exist - in which the female lead shaves her head

Do you imagine I care what you "call"? It is a common mistake to over estimate one's importance to others and an indication of baseless vanity.

I think a crime is a crime, quite regardless of what a victim says. If there is sound evidence a perpetrator should be charged. Imo.
The state decides whether to bring charges and is the plaintiff in a criminal case because the crime is actually against the state not the victim. Prosecutor can take the victim’s wishes into account and the victim can refuse to cooperate - to an extent - but it isn’t the victim’s call.

The state decides whether to bring charges and is the plaintiff in a criminal case because the crime is actually against the state not the victim. Prosecutor can take the victim’s wishes into account and the victim can refuse to cooperate - to an extent - but it isn’t the victim’s call.
Cops never arrest on a simple battery if the victim refuses to press charges

I've never heard of 'Will Smith'. However I support the general principle that no one who assaults others should be immune from arrest.
Mission accomplished!

Chris Rock said he didn't want to press charges, so that's that.
The police don't need Chris Rock to press charges. The episode was broadcast to the entire world, lol.

Looking at the video, I does appear the Rock kinda knew something was coming. He put his arms down and his face forward. It almost looked like his eyes were shut waiting for it.
He's had to deal with bullies his entire life.

I disagree, preferring the current state of affairs, balanced to allow the victim to get a say.

Only if Rock wants to press charges. It would appear he doesn't, so end of story.

Just wondering what level of violence should require mandatory charges. If Smith had murdered Rock we wouldnt be saying he only gets arrested if the family wants to press charges.

Wow. Just so much hate on display here.

Chris Rock declined to press charges. End of story. As for Will Smith...come on. The MIB series is successful, Hancock was very good, 7 Pounds, Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, I Am Legend, I Robot, The Legend of Bagger Vance......come on...I dont care if you like the guy, but the dislike and outright hatred for the guy seems rather ginned up.

Cops never arrest on a simple battery if the victim refuses to press charges
They do it all the time.

If the Los Angeles doesn't want to press charges, then fine. But let's not pretend that it's all up to Chris Rock.

They do it all the time.

If the Los Angeles doesn't want to press charges, then fine. But let's not pretend that it's all up to Chris Rock.
No they dont

I think arresting actors who play fight on tv would be problematic. Everybody who’s ever starred in an action movie would have to go to prison.

If Chris Rock wants to pursue let the law handle it.

Imagine if Keanu Reeves pressed charges against Hugo Weaving for every one of the eight thousand punches he took from him in the Matrix movies. He could retire as the earth’s first quadrillionaire.

Americans please advise: 1) What have been the reaction at the Oscars if both the puncher and the punched had been 'white'? 2) if the puncher had been 'black' and the punched man had been 'white'? 3)If the puncher had been 'white' and the punched man had been 'black'?

It has been suggested that in case 3) there would been outrage at the Oscar ceremony followed by 'race riots' in the USA from sea to sea'.

If Chris Rock wants to press charges, then yes he should be arrested, like anyone else.

Good thing Mrs. Alec Baldwin wasn’t dissed…….

Back
Top Bottom