• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tea Party Threats Ruining America's Economic Standing [W:113]

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It was only a matter of time. A few more weeks of this debt ceiling blackmail nonsense and we'll be the joke of the business community.

Photo Of John Kerry Far Off In The Background At APEC Meeting - Business Insider

Thanks to the standoff in Washington DC, President Obama was forced to cancel a visit to East Asian countries, and to not attend of APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation).

Wonkblog and others noticed this incredibly embarrassing picture of all the world leaders standing on a stage at the meeting, and the US only being represented by John Kerry, who was forced to stand in the back row, and far off to the side (since he's not a head of state, presumably).

Putin, obviously, is loving the prominence.

I'm sure though that the usual suspects will just blame it all on the Black guy with the funny name.

You bias is showing......
Not my bias. Fact.

The ceiling is a limit set by Congress on the amount that the government can borrow for public spending and was set at $16.4 trillion in 2011.[2][3] The debt ceiling was technically reached on December 31, 2012, and extraordinary measures were taken by the Treasury Department to enable spending to continue.[4] According to a letter from Treasury secretary, Timothy Geithner to Congress on January 14, the Treasury projected that funds would be exhausted between mid-February and early March.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_debt-ceiling_crisis_of_2013
Translation: Congress passed a budget they knew we would fall short on without raising the debt ceiling. Thus, they either intentionally set up the budget to fail or they are really really stupid.

Not my bias. Fact.

Translation: Congress passed a budget they knew we would fall short on without raising the debt ceiling. Thus, they either intentionally set up the budget to fail or they are really really stupid.

Damn congress and their not giving Obama a blank check. The bastards!

So the President couldn't attend due to the Government shutdown, then how did the Secretary of State manage to get there? I realize he's pretty wealthy, did he pay for the trip himself?

Not my bias. Fact.

You assume they have even passed a budget.....

Damn congress and their not giving Obama a blank check. The bastards!
No. Damn Congress for passing a budget which had spending levels set at a Trillion dollars over Revenues.

No. Damn Congress for passing a budget which had spending levels set at a Trillion dollars over Revenues.

This budget?

WASHINGTON — An exhausted Senate gave pre-dawn approval Saturday to a Democratic $3.7 trillion budget for next year that embraces nearly $1 trillion in tax increases over the coming decade but shelters domestic programs targeted for cuts by House Republicans.

Senate Passes Democratic Budget

You assume they have even passed a budget.....
It gets confusing. Congress passed the Budget for 2013, but it's now expired. The shutdown is over the battle for the new budget. The debt ceiling issue involves money due from last year's spending.

So, I agree with the fight which caused the shutdown (although shutting the gvt down is not what I consider wise). It's a budget fight--that is the fight we should be having.

I disagree with the fight over the debt ceiling because those debt need to be paid on time--that is a fight we should not be having.

This budget?

WASHINGTON — An exhausted Senate gave pre-dawn approval Saturday to a Democratic $3.7 trillion budget for next year that embraces nearly $1 trillion in tax increases over the coming decade but shelters domestic programs targeted for cuts by House Republicans.

Senate Passes Democratic Budget

No. This budget
2013 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2013 United States federal budget is the budget to fund government operations for the fiscal year 2013, which is October 2012–September 2013. The original spending request was issued by President Barack Obama in February 2012.[1] The actual appropriations for fiscal year 2013 was enacted in two appropriations bills in September 2012 and March 2013 by the full Congress, in accordance with the United States budget process.

That's the one for which the debts are now due to be paid.

It gets confusing. Congress passed the Budget for 2013, but it's now expired. The shutdown is over the battle for the new budget. The debt ceiling issue involves money due from last year's spending.

So, I agree with the fight which caused the shutdown (although shutting the gvt down is not what I consider wise). It's a budget fight--that is the fight we should be having.

I disagree with the fight over the debt ceiling because those debt need to be paid on time--that is a fight we should not be having.

A budget has not been passed. A Continuing resolution has been passed. The last real budget was, well, a LONG time ago.

It was only a matter of time. A few more weeks of this debt ceiling blackmail nonsense and we'll be the joke of the business community.

Photo Of John Kerry Far Off In The Background At APEC Meeting - Business Insider

I'm sure though that the usual suspects will just blame it all on the Black guy with the funny name.

I dont see how its the tea partys fault that the country has borrowed 16 trillion dollars and is unwilling to balance the budget. Or even how a few 'radical extremist terrorists' manage to control the entire economic policy of the govt.

A budget has not been passed. A Continuing resolution has been passed. The last real budget was, well, a LONG time ago.

They passed the appropriations bill knowing that the debt ceiling would need to be raised. The rest is semantics.

1. I dont see how its the tea partys fault that the country has borrowed 16 trillion dollars and is unwilling to balance the budget. 2. Or even how a few 'radical extremist terrorists' manage to control the entire economic policy of the govt.

1. It seems the Tea Party has the rest of the GOP running scared. Boehner is scared to death of opposing them.

2. I have no idea. I never thought a minority could wield so much power--this is new to me.

Same thing, dems run the senate.

Yep...but, we've seen that the Senate effectively needs 60 votes to move anything through. You've been paying attention lately. Right?

They passed the appropriations bill knowing that the debt ceiling would need to be raised. The rest is semantics.

One has nothing to do with the other. You do not have to borrow money to pay for spending. You dont have to spend all the money authorized. No spending has been authorized for FY2014, and the govt takes in more than enough to pay for what has been authorized, thus no need to borrow money or raise the debt limit. The purpose of the debt limit is to force the country to find another way to pay for things.

For example. yesterday the Treasury took in 11bn in revenue. And paid 7bn in 'bills'. No need to borrow money to pay for that. In fact, they PAiD OFF 40million in debt.

Last edited:
1. It seems the Tea Party has the rest of the GOP running scared. Boehner is scared to death of opposing them.

2. I have no idea. I never thought a minority could wield so much power--this is new to me.

1. How is that the tea partys fault? They have no power.
2. Then perhaps youre wrong?

Yep...but, we've seen that the Senate effectively needs 60 votes to move anything through. You've been paying attention lately. Right?

And theres only one or two self proclaimed tea party Senators, so how are they stopping the entire Senate?

After all, the black guy with the funny name has only been in charge for 5 years. Why in the world would the business community make fun of him?

Back
Top Bottom