• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tea party hurting GOP chances in the fall?

I had a whole response for you last night and DP went down, for maintaince. To end this debate I would be a conservative meaning I am a strong constitutionalist which a true conservative. The current republican memebers in Congress are not for the most part conservative. As a tea party'er I am not looking to become a third party but to flush out the Rhino's and replace them with real conservatives.

That may be what you're trying to do. However, it will be quite difficult to gain a majority of votes with that position. We have a winner-take-all electoral system, which means that the more fringe and marginalized a candidate is, the least likely he's expected to win a general election, while the more moderate he is the more likely he's expected to win a general election. So this "purging of RINO's" can only hurt the GOP rather than help when it comes to elections. Now, if you want to try to keep and maintain a pure party that's your choice. Just don't be surprised if you don't win too many general elections because of it.

i think the failure of that formula is that A) it doesn't take into account the fact that this is a center-right nation, rather than merely a center one, and B) Conservatism is popular when actually enacted. The way to win the middle isn't to be mealy-mouthed, it's to convince them you have the better solutions to today's problems, and it just so happens they are predisposed to prefer conservative solutions.

i think the failure of that formula is that A) it doesn't take into account the fact that this is a center-right nation, rather than merely a center one, and B) Conservatism is popular when actually enacted. The way to win the middle isn't to be mealy-mouthed, it's to convince them you have the better solutions to today's problems, and it just so happens they are predisposed to prefer conservative solutions.

Conservative solutions? In the past few decades we have had Nixon, Reagan, two Bushes, and Ford, The other side had Carter and Clinton and now Obama. That's 5 to 3.

At least the democrats have the balls to tax and spend rather then spend and borrow.

So much for faux conservative solutions.

In your opinion, why is this nation a center-right nation? I've always wandered where people get that meme from

In your opinion, why is this nation a center-right nation? I've always wandered where people get that meme from

Polls show that people tend to identify themselves as "conservative" more than anything else, if only by a small portion.

However, when you question them on specific issues you get moderate to liberal responses on many of the issues (especially social issues), leading one to conclude that the labels aren't really that revealing.

After all, just because someone calls themselves conservative doesn't really mean they agree with everything die-hard conservatives agree with. Many self-identified "conservatives" are pro choice, pro gay rights, and in favor of social security and health care.

Many people identify themselves as Catholic too, while disagreeing with 70% of what the church stands for.

As far as I've seen, the Tea Party has been influental and has helped nominated favorites of the movement like Rand Paul. I think the Tea Party movement is helping the GOP nominate real conservatives who will shrink government. I almost think of it as RINO protection ;)

This has proven true in some parts of the country but not in Virginia's 2nd Congressional District. Here, Republicans ill-advisedly nominated Scott Rigell, a car dealer who donated $1,000 to President Obama's campaign in 2008 and refused to go on record as supporting the Fair Tax. The only RINO protection in this district is independent candidate Kenny Golden, who has made no secret of his support for the Fair Tax. Golden is a 31-year Navy veteran who has more national security experience than his Republican and Democratic opponents combined.

In 1990, Vermont incumbent Republican Peter Smith lost to independent candidate Bernie Sanders, who continued to defeat both Republicans and Democrats until he left the house in 2006. There is no reason that it cannot happen in VA-2.

Last edited:
It the Tea Partiers and strong right wingers win in the fall it will show the true colors of the GOP and help the Dems in 1012.

It the Tea Partiers and strong right wingers win in the fall it will show the true colors of the GOP and help the Dems in 1012.

Um... what? That doesn't make any sense. If they win in the fall, that means that people have already voted for them. Not just the GOP, but the electorate in general. Why would that help the Dems in 2012, when the same electorate is going to vote?

Um... what? That doesn't make any sense. If they win in the fall, that means that people have already voted for them. Not just the GOP, but the electorate in general. Why would that help the Dems in 2012, when the same electorate is going to vote?

It might not be the same electorate....people change. If they see a majority of "conservatives" in charge, and the USA economy is still something that stinks on a stick, they might re-elect Obama....

It might not be the same electorate....people change. If they see a majority of "conservatives" in charge, and the USA economy is still something that stinks on a stick, they might re-elect Obama....

That's true; the GOP majority probably helped Clinton in 1996 more than it hurt him.

That's not what snbl was saying, though.

Back
Top Bottom