• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tea Party Favorites need a lesson in History?

mertex

Don't Mess With Texas
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Tea Party favorites Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin took it upon themselves to critique the President's State of the Union Address and what they ended up doing was showing the country how under educated they really are when it comes to History.

Bachmann went on to give credit to the Founding Fathers for ending slavery. I guess because she wasn't around during the Civil War, she may think it didn't take place. Is that another Republican re-write of History?

Then Palin went so far as to give Russia credit for beating us to the moon? Obama rightly claimed our victory in Space when we were the only ones able to put men on the moon back in 1969 - but Palin rather than acknowledge our country's victory goes on to claim that Russia won the Space race! Then she claims that winning the space race caused Russia to collapse - only problem, it was 30 years later!

I know the Republicans seem to show a disdain for Education, as they favor Presidential candidates of the "folksy" type, and criticize as elitists anyone with Super Duper education, but isn't this going a bit too far? Really, is this the type of representation that the GOP wants? Or, does the GOP even acknowledge them as part of the Republican Party?

Bachmann Claims Founding Fathers Ended Slavery

Sarah Palin thinks Russia Won the Space Race

Tea Party favorites Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin took it upon themselves to critique the President's State of the Union Address and what they ended up doing was showing the country how under educated they really are when it comes to History.

Bachmann went on to give credit to the Founding Fathers for ending slavery. I guess because she wasn't around during the Civil War, she may think it didn't take place. Is that another Republican re-write of History?

Then Palin went so far as to give Russia credit for beating us to the moon? Obama rightly claimed our victory in Space when we were the only ones able to put men on the moon back in 1969 - but Palin rather than acknowledge our country's victory goes on to claim that Russia won the Space race! Then she claims that winning the space race caused Russia to collapse - only problem, it was 30 years later!

I know the Republicans seem to show a disdain for Education, as they favor Presidential candidates of the "folksy" type, and criticize as elitists anyone with Super Duper education, but isn't this going a bit too far? Really, is this the type of representation that the GOP wants? Or, does the GOP even acknowledge them as part of the Republican Party?

Bachmann Claims Founding Fathers Ended Slavery

Sarah Palin thinks Russia Won the Space Race

They're like the same person, really. My favorite Palin one is when she couldn't name a newspaper that she reads. Or, the one where she said she has foreign policy experience because she is from Alaska which is close to Russia!

The entire Couric interview was pure gold Jerry, pure gold.

Russia did win the space race, they got the first person in space, and the competition with America over defence and technology, of which the space race was a part, did in part lead to the downfall of the USSR, so she's not entirely wrong.

Russia did win the space race, they got the first person in space, and the competition with America over defence and technology, of which the space race was a part, did in part lead to the downfall of the USSR, so she's not entirely wrong.

Really depends on how you define the space race, if it was just getting into space, then yes the USSR won, but if you expand it to getting a man on the moon, then the US won.

Really depends on how you define the space race, if it was just getting into space, then yes the USSR won, but if you expand it to getting a man on the moon, then the US won.

But the whole idea of a race is who gets there first, not who goes the furthest, if it was the space marathon, American would've won, but it was a race, so Russia won.

But the whole idea of a race is who gets there first, not who goes the furthest, if it was the space marathon, American would've won, but it was a race, so Russia won.

I have heard it defined both ways, but my teachers have always defined it as getting to the moon, so I have always believed that. It could be wrong though.

Ha,ha, I knew the conservatives would jump at the opportunity to defend the Sacred Mother, even at the expense of appearing like fools! And to think that those who consider themselves such "Patriots" are willing to declare Russia the winner, something they would never consider, unless it is in the matter of defending Palin!

Picture the space race as a baseball game with 9 innings.
The launch of Sputniks 1 and 2 only put the USSR on the scoreboard first.
We got one out with Vanguard (though the first Vanguard originally wasn't supposed to have been attempt to orbit a satellite). Then we got on the scoreboard with Explorer 1, but Explorer 1 wasn't just a home run, there were 2 RBIs. The orbit that Explorer 1 entered kept it in orbit for 12 years while the Sputniks both burned up within days of going into orbit. Explorer 1 also discovered the Van Allen radiation belts.
The Soviets got the first pictures of the dark side of the moon. We had the first communications satellites and the first weather satellites. We had the first geosychronous comsat. They had the first man in orbit, first woman in orbit, first time two manned spacecraft were in space at the same time, the first two and three man spacecraft, and the first space walk. We had the first close rendezvous, first docking in orbit, after Gemini 7, we held the endurance in orbit record from 1965 until 1970. We had the first manned flight to orbit the moon (it's very late in the game now). We had all manner of firsts during Apollo culminating with the moon landing on July 20, 1969.
That is when the game ended and we won.
In fact, late in the game, the Soviets ran out of energy and had left the field when their moon rocket malfunctioned so badly that it blew up when they tried to launch the second one on July 3, 1969. In fact the explosion was so bad it was like a small nuclear bomb going off. The blast was so bad it completely destroyed the N1's launch complex.
This was the top of the 9th for the Soviets and they'd struck out, the inning ending without a single run batted in although they did sneak a double in and launched Luna 15 a few days before Apollo 11 in an attempt to soft land an unmanned satellite and return a small sample before the Americans. Too bad it crashed.

Russia didn't win the space race, we did.
Palin seems to think it was a 50 yard sprint and not a 25 mile marathon.

And can someone explain to me how launching Sputnik 1 in 1957 bankrupted the USSR in 1991?

Russia won the space race? WTF? Palintology - Current Events - Current Events - HISTORY community - Message Board

The space race was everything space. It was getting to space, space-walking, going to the moon, landing on the moon, launching satellites, etc. The race itself ended well before the collapse of the Soviet Union - probably somewhere in the early to mid seventies.

Once we planted our flag on the moon, the Soviets lost interest pretty quick.

*Edit:

And it's not open to interpretation. The space race was the name for the time. Kind of like the cold war. There was no war that was cold.

Last edited:
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Yeah Spud you stupid conservative, go have your "special time" with your crusty picture of Palin, and leave us liberals alone :2razz:

Oops! What have we got here - a Palin lovin Libral!

Nope, just a bored liberal, the whole point if this site is to debate, and I'd get bored if I debated from the same perspective continually.

And they can't spell 'their' either. :2razz:

Curse my smaller woman brain!!! I better get back in the kitchen and fix dinner before I give birth again, things would be so much better if I only had shoes :(

Curse my smaller woman brain!!! I better get back in the kitchen and fix dinner before I give birth again, things would be so much better if I only had shoes :(

It's great when they don't need reminding of their place. :mrgreen:

99.9999% wrong.

And her latest WTF brain fart means that communism worked, it was just all that money they spent on competing with us that brought them down...

Anyone ever have friends or brothers when they were growing up? You get out of the car and go "Race you to the house!" and off you go. But when it looks like the other ones is going to make it to the house first you quickly go "Its first to get into the couch in the living room!" figuring that'll give you at least a shot to catch up.

That's essentially what's happened with regards to how the U.S. determined what the "Space Race" was. The first into SPACE was the USSR...but, that makes for ****ty material in a 6th grade text book in America. So the goalpost was quickly changed to the Moon, which the U.S. won.

Honestly, the most accurate way to describe it in my mind would be the Race to Space and the Race to the Moon.

The overall "Space Race" moniker is broad and impossible to truly define, making Palin's words no more dumb or uneducated than the OP's mocking of her.

The overall "Space Race" moniker is broad and impossible to truly define, making Palin's words no more dumb or uneducated than the OP's mocking of her.

Not really, considering the race did end at least 10 years before the collapse of the USSR. You could blame the arms race for a partial reason for its collapse. I think that would be valid.

I guess because she wasn't around during the Civil War, she may think it didn't take place. Is that another Republican re-write of HTea Party favorites Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin took it upon themselves to critique the President's State of the Union Address and what they ended up doing was showing the country how under educated they really are when it comes to History.

Bachmann went on to give credit to the Founding Fathers for ending slavery.
Your links don't claim that they said those things. They said similar things which were true and/or debatable. This thread is a straw man.

Anyone ever have friends or brothers when they were growing up? You get out of the car and go "Race you to the house!" and off you go. But when it looks like the other ones is going to make it to the house first you quickly go "Its first to get into the couch in the living room!" figuring that'll give you at least a shot to catch up.

That's essentially what's happened with regards to how the U.S. determined what the "Space Race" was. The first into SPACE was the USSR...but, that makes for ****ty material in a 6th grade text book in America. So the goalpost was quickly changed to the Moon, which the U.S. won.

Honestly, the most accurate way to describe it in my mind would be the Race to Space and the Race to the Moon.

Ha,ha, another conservative trying desperately to find some wiggle room, and save the "Princess" from the Dragon - which by the way, you are too late. The Dragon already ate her, back when she claimed that she had foreign policy experience because you can see Russia from Alaska and Putin flies over her house! Way back when she claimed she read all the magazines and newspapers! OMG! Imagine how long it would take to read all those magazines and newspapers!

Even Wikipedia describes it as:

The launch of Sputnik inaugurated the Space Race. This culminated in the Apollo Moon landings, which astronaut Frank Borman later described as "just a battle in the Cold War."

Inaugurate:
to make a formal beginning of; initiate; commence; begin:

Back
Top Bottom