• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TD Wins It

Anybody who was a competitive athlete at any decent level does not blur the lines of fairness. It is fair or it isn't. I competed at the County (OC 4 million) and State Level in CA for close to a decade in track, cross country, tennis, basketball and surfing for years and fair is fair ... and this TD Wins It is not fair.
disagree with your whole post-----------both sides had a fair chance to win the regulation game. After that it get's blurred IMO..........................

Nothing is ever totally fair------athletes plow though disadvantages

I addressed this already. Unfairness in a tipped pass or windy conditions on your half when kicking a field goal are part of sports... and arbitrary concept like "win the coin flip and score on the opening drive and you win it all and the other team gets no chance to tie it up" is a concept that it seems more and more that only athletes understand. A bunch of Internet geeks sitting around justifying stupid shit just don't understand. *shrugs*
I was a 3 sport athlete at the state level and in the NCAA,,,,,,...time to put that foolish comment of yours to rest. Athletes worth their salt do not make excuses. A coin toss in football OT is LESS unfair than a strong wind and rain coming along to screw up your javelin throw...........(I know---played both sports)

I played football. I played soccer as well Club. Point is an actual athlete could understand.

I laid out my experience. You laid out what an Internet Geek would lay out. Nothing.

You don't understand the concept of arbitrary rules. Got it. Good luck baiting tools in you posts. I

You have no experience. You think running around a track makes you qualified to judge football. I played football 1st grade through college, @armycowboy is the only one on this forum I know of who has player football at a higher caliber than myself. So your childish name calling of an internet geek means nothing you dont know what takes to be on that field

You have no experience. You think running around a track makes you qualified to judge football. I played football 1st grade through college, @armycowboy is the only one on this forum I know of who has player football at a higher caliber than myself. So your childish name calling of an internet geek means nothing you dont know what takes to be on that field
I talked about

1. Competitive Athletes
2. Stupidity of a Coin Toss

Your argument is meaningless as you just laid out that unless one is an actual NFL player they do not have enough experience to comment. Why should yours count? You have more football experience than I do? Well, I have more than others do so mine should count... or do you get to determine whos should count? Since experience in football is not needed to understand the concept of a coin toss, I am surprised that you went this way. The point is being an athlete gives a person a bit better insight into rules and more importantly, ones that are stupid.

Imagine some sports like golf or tennis. Playoff in golf and one player goes and if they hit a par or better they win... the other player does not get a chance to even tee off. Tennis, coin toss determines serve and if that person wins the first game you are done... other player does not get a serve. Hockey, drops the puck... one team does not start out on offense.

It honestly doesn't sound like some of you have any concept of this at all... which makes me wonder ...

I was a 3 sport athlete at the state level and in the NCAA,,,,,,...time to put that foolish comment of yours to rest. Athletes worth their salt do not make excuses. A coin toss in football OT is LESS unfair than a strong wind and rain coming along to screw up your javelin throw...........(I know---played both sports)
You just don't get it. It is not making an excuse. FFS. Debating rule changes is not making an excuse... it is trying to make rules better, more fair, more logical, whatever.

disagree with your whole post-----------both sides had a fair chance to win the regulation game. After that it get's blurred IMO..........................

Nothing is ever totally fair------athletes plow though disadvantages
I don't understand why people would accept an unfair rule and just shrug as they are scratching their nuts... "ugh, life is not fair" instead of understanding that we hare humans. We created the game. We created the rules. In most sports some aspect of the rules has changed because we can change the rules. There are some sports where the rules change often... because we can do that to make the game better... but not in this case. "The rule is not fair and dog gammit.... that is just how life is sometimes".

LOL

Idiotic.

You just don't get it. It is not making an excuse. FFS. Debating rule changes is not making an excuse... it is trying to make rules better, more fair, more logical, whatever.
Get it-------many of us just do not think it is "broken"..........so why fix it?

If they DID change it to what you are suggesting?---------that's fine...

I don't understand why people would accept an unfair rule and just shrug as they are scratching their nuts... "ugh, life is not fair" instead of understanding that we hare humans. We created the game. We created the rules. In most sports some aspect of the rules has changed because we can change the rules. There are some sports where the rules change often... because we can do that to make the game better... but not in this case. "The rule is not fair and dog gammit.... that is just how life is sometimes".

LOL

Idiotic.
Good athletes accept any circumstance----especially if they know the rules beforehand.

Yeah, sure, it you get them changed, fine....................I just don't consider it "broken" enough to care....

Get it-------many of us just do not think it is "broken"..........so why fix it?
That is a fair statement to make.

Saying, "life isn't fair" is idiotic.
If they DID change it to what you are suggesting?---------that's fine...
That the team that lost the toss get a chance at offense no matter what.

Okay? 10-2, man.
You keep repeating this as if it’s really significant. When it doesn’t really mean what it is you think it means. In post 152 I showed a stat for regular season overtime games since the rule change that has a 160 game sample size that showed that the team that got the ball first won 52% of the games. 52%, hardly an overwhelming advantage. In the postseason the team receiving ball first has won the game on their first possession in 7 out of 12 games. 58%. So therefore in 3 of those games the other team got their chance and failed to cash in. And here's the thing about getting the ball first. If you come up empty, as in no points, you have now put your defense under the gun. Because now other team doesn't need a touchdown to beat you. A field goal will do, and those are much easier to come by than touchdowns are. And yet those 3 teams still came up short. Why? Because the other team's defense stopped them and got the ball back again for their offense. So I have no reluctance in stating that barring some other unforeseen influencing factor such as a bad officiating call, that in almost all of those instances, the better team won. Because that is what football is. It is the ultimate team sport. Because a football team consists of multiple teams within a team. It has an offensive team, a defensive team, and special teams. To win a football game a team has to function and execute reasonably well in all of those 3 phases. Football isn't about fairness. It's not an inherently fair game. It's a competition. Some things work for you, some things work against you. The winning team is the one that overcomes challenges and executes more than the opponent. Short of a bad penalty call or a kick bouncing off a goalpost, not much over the course of a game is ever just given to you.

Last edited:
bringing up non-passing eras, etc. is a sure way to show how ignorant a person is on this matter.
Non-passing era??? :ROFLMAO: Buddy Ryan's Chicago 46 defense was in the mid 1980's, when the NFL passing game was exploding, and he created it to specifically combat it by placing max pressure on the QB. But feel free to continue with showing your complete and total ignorance of the game of football. Better that you should stick to the more wimpy sports like track, golf and surfing, dude. 😎

Passing yards graph.jpg

I am hoping that the SB ends in a tie. Then in overtime whatever team receives the ball first scores a TD, pissing off 50%+ of the country. That will change the OT rules.

I am hoping that the SB ends in a tie. Then in overtime whatever team receives the ball first scores a TD, pissing off 50%+ of the country. That will change the OT rules.

That already happened and they didn't change the rules

Back
Top Bottom